Sunday, May 29, 2016

All the things...

WIP! FAIL! Success!!

I decided to enter the Pattern Review skirt contest because 1) I need more summer skirts and 2) it's sponsored by Fabric Mart (what?!). I decided on Burda 6769 in a dark denim.


I haven't had a ton of sewing time the past 2 weeks but got started on this last Sunday. I'd gotten the front pockets done and for some odd reason thought I would finish this on "cat lady Friday" (that's how I now refer to Friday nights as both kids normally work til close!). What on earth was I thinking?! Pfft. All that top-stitching AND my old machine is being a bugger and so I have to switch between regular and top-stitching thread. Boooooo!

Last night I got the side seams sewn. I really wanted to top-stitch them because of how they wrap around to the front but not sure I can sew inside the tube neatly. And THEN I ran out of top-stitching thread. Sheesh. So I have to grab more today and hopefully can get it finished.

I took a TON of photos while this was in progress so be prepared for a hefty blog write up.

Progress shot posted on IG


I need to get started on M7167 if I'm going to have that ready to wear on Thursday. I also need to get more party stuff and get a bunch of boxes out of the dining room (that's the only room that isn't fully unpacked).


One of my May items was this M7386 skirt. I just loved the look of it and thought it would be cute. Well, this is not the first time I've tried a maxi skirt on me and hated the outcome. Maxi dress? Sure. Skirt? Meh. This fabric (from Fashion Fabrics Club) was awful too. Which I'm sure doesn't help.

I cut out a size L and sewed it up.

And then went back and removed about 3" total from the side seams. I didn't finish the waist before taking these pics because I won't wear it. I just don't like it at all.  I may finish it for my mom though. But I'd have to lose like 3-4" from the length and I don't know how that'll affect the shape of it.  We'll see if I get around to it...


Do I have curves? Yes. But I am still quite rectangular in shape. And this OVER emphasizes that. I don't fancy looking like a column. Even when it's pretty flowers ;-)

Win some. Lose some.

Lastly, I sewed up S8138 in an olive crepe georgette and wore it to see Queen Bey! last Monday. Read all about that project over on the Fabric Mart Blog.


22 comments:

  1. SO sorry about running out of thread/machine acting up... Just hate when that happens. But. I just bet your denim skirt is going to be fantastic..
    I like your maxi skirt.. Very pretty, but understand... some things we just don't like on ourselves.ha
    The shirt is so cute.. Looks good on you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Judy! I'm so excited to finish the skirt!!

      Delete
  2. I always love looking in at your makes. Everything shown here is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. As always, I'm in awe of your output!

    Love the tunic a the end, terrific style in you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You can never go wrong with a big knot at your crotch. am I right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Look Justine...you can't be mad at me because you played YOURSELF and then got called out for it. You sent me an email trying to "play nice" because you thought I had something to offer you. Now, because I know you're UNABLE to own up to your own actions, it's not worth even arguing the point.

      Now, I am a nice person, but I am not "sewing blog community" nice. What you absolutely do NOT want to do is try to come for me. Insult me again in my space and you will get to know me a little better than you'd like. Got it? Good.


      Copying your comment because I know you like to delete things:
      Justine/ Sew Country ChickMay 30, 2016 at 7:56 AM
      You can never go wrong with a big knot at your crotch. am I right?

      Delete
    2. I am absolutely gobsmacked that someone would come on your blog and publish such an insulting comment. Was it supposed to be funny? If so, it missed the mark by a mile. SCC, I think your top is really cute. Try to let it roll off your back. Sheesh!

      Delete
    3. Totally not supposed to be funny. Totally not.

      Thank you so much!

      Delete
  5. Nothing more aggravating than running out of thread! I think that side seam would look so good topstitched too. And love the Simplicity tunic! So stylish!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SO Sad when that happens!!!!! Thank you! :)

      Delete
  6. I like your idea of topstitching the side seam! It is a cool design.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kyle! I think I may try but will totally back out if it starts getting wonky! LOL!

      Delete
  7. Love your Beyonce tunic - very stylish - and that denim skirt looks like it's a winner too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! I'm *SO* excited about the skirt!

      Delete
  8. Gahh running out of thread is The Worst. But at least you ran out during Joann's BOGO thread sale this weekend--could've been worse! =D

    I LOVE the tunic/tabard hybrid top and think you rock it. Will definitely refer back to your very informative post on that pattern when I get around to it myself!

    -Abbey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I never even made it to JoAnn! WAH!!!

      I think it's a really fun pattern and look forward to making the version with the belt. I have the Style Arc version that I'd like to make too.

      Delete
  9. I like your top. This one's on my list to make. Actually, I bought this one, the other Simplicity and the New Look like this. I guess I really like this style.

    ☝☝ That up there? #shetriedit

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TRIED IT. 🙄

      That's how I do too! I will buy several of the same style because of those nuances in details.

      Delete
  10. I love love love the tunic/tabbard. I've seen this style (even tied up in front like that) on celebrities and have been trying to find a pattern that would work for me. It is trendy and super cute. Totally looking up the StyleArc one mentioned above.

    Love that colour on you, too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like your top, it's super trendy and very appropriate for a Queen B concert. I also can't wait for the write up on the jean skirt!! It looks great, good luck in the contest!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I read each and every one; even if I don't have time to respond back!