So, Kathy posted things from the March issue that she was digging over on Instagram. Confessions of a Sewing Novice then mentioned she liked this weird top too. And whaddya know, I was feeling the same way about the odd little top from the March issue! So we made a pact to sew it up and here's my contribution to #teamtrashbagtop ! [See CoaSN version here]
I know. I looked at the line drawing and thought, "Oh, Burda"
But then I had to agree with the other ladies that even Burda's rectangle patterns just...work...so I went for it!
I used this Maggy London striped jersey that has been hanging in the stash since last summer (Fabric Mart of course) and traced a size 40.
This pattern is so quick to trace and sew. It took me 90 minutes to trace, cut, sew and take photos. Win.
While I didn't bother to try to match stripes when cutting, it worked out pretty well when sewing. The pattern is intended to be left unhemmed and that's okay with me. I cut with my rotary cutter for a nice, crisp edge and did a little zigzag to tack the serged seam allowance.
I kind of love it.
The front drape is made by taking 2 tucks. The cowl has a wonderfully drafted facing.
The back is voluminous but IT WORKS!
Cute and casual and my stripes mostly match! :)
My February Burda project is in the works. I have to run by Hancock to get zippers tomorrow and that should be wrapped up by weekend. I'm committed to the Burda Challenge this year!