Wednesday, July 24, 2013

A Slight Rant...And Sewing Plans

Ok, sewing plans FIRST...then you can avoid my rant (re: Disqus) if you want ;-)

I am trying to get my M6744 dress finished in time to take it to Georgia with me! I was well on my way, and was going to tackle it Monday night, then some family related (important!!) things came up and I couldn't finish it. Last night I got a little more work done on it.

I got home yesterday, made dinner, hung out with the kids, watched a tv show, then gave myself from 9-10 to sew. So far, the bodice is finished (sewn, elastic inserted, serged), the skirt is hemmed along the length (the hem will show) and I got the front skirt pinned to the back on one side. I need to hem the arm openings, sew the skirt together, sew the skirt to the bodice, and hem it. WHEW! I have tonight and tomorrow to do this!!!

This morning, when I realized I needed to iron my shirt, I managed to, in 8 minutes, pin the other side of the skirt front to back and iron my shirt - score! The moral of this story - a little (time) can go a long way when working on projects.

I should take progress photos...but I don't have any so here is the fabric! :)

 

It's gorgeous! It's an ITY knit that I picked up for $3/yard during a FabricMart sale. I'll take a $6 maxi dress!!

***Also, does anyone have suggestions for thread storage that doesn't involve it hanging on the wall? Being in the basement, I don't want too many things just "out". I had to get the husband to relive me of a giant spider last night...Right now, this is my storage solution:



My sewing plans for the 3 weeks while the kids are gone:
  • FINISH the gifts I started! I need to sew two aprons (that have long since been cut) and I want to make the girls some simple bags for makeup (the oldest) and feminine products (both of them).
  • Muslin my pants patterns and get at least 2 (hopefully 3!) pairs sewn.
  • Practice rolled hems on my serger.
  • Practice blind hemming.
  • Whatever else may come up.
I'm still participating in the stash busting sew-a-long so I hope to get some serious yardage sewn while I have a bit of free time.


*****************************************************

My rant...I hate Disqus. I will not comment on blogs that use Disqus. It's sad too because two bloggers that I really love following use disqus and I don't want to. I don't like that tracking of EVERYTHING. I don't want EVERYTHING linked around the web. No thank you. I especially don't want my full name displayed everywhere which -- okay, I learned to change that -- but I am anti-Disqus and will continue to read the content of those blogs without comment. ::sadface::