Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Finished Item: McCall's 6744

I knew right away when this pattern came out that I had to have it. Then I started seeing them pop up around the blogosphere and was ready to go.

I had this amazing striped ITY knit from Fabric Mart in colors that define summer. I figured I had to get a maxi made soon. It was about 65 degrees on Friday with overnight lows in the mid 40s...that's Minneapolis for you! I didn't want to run out of summer :)

I paid $3/yd for the fabric and used all of the 2 yards. The dress wasn't difficult at all to make but was a bit time consuming - mostly because of the open front, making those long hems on front.

The finished garment measurements were kind of wacky...the bodice was meant to be HUGE for some reason. I ended up cutting a small at the bust and waist and grading to a medium at the hip - this was a good idea. The dress fit perfectly.

The adorable shoulder ruching is courtesy of 1/4" elastic and then you need 3/8" elastic for the waist.

LOVE the colors!!

I absolutely had to have this for our trip to Georgia so I was literally sewing the hem as my husband had the boys taking our bags out to the van! :-) I got it done though! The only thing that isn't "finished" is the skirt seams aren't serged. I'll get that done though.



Look at those colors!!

Now, beware - that split is REAL - it is split almost down the center! It crosses over a bit, but not completely. I ended up pinning the bodice and will probably tack it down. That skirt has a real potential to become scandalous. I don't think I"ll make this particular version again - I might make the cross over bodice with the regular skirt - OR - make it a mock wrap. I was holding the skirt shut the entire time I wore it.


The kids are all gone - WOOHOO! I got a little bit of sewing in today - I made a muslin of B5908 and so far, so good. Before taking the rental car back, I went to SR Harris to grab some zippers (I intend to make some makeup bags for my girls) - short (<15") are $0.50 and other zippers are $1.00. you just have to search...

Not a bad haul for $4

And then I got 2 remnants - one is black SILK!!!! So I added 5 yards to my stash but for $10. I am going to challenge myself with both the silk and the chiffon(?) - I love the print.




14 comments:

  1. That is such a fun dress & looks great on you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your dress, and love your fabric/zipper finds.. Great... Happy sewing. and hope you enjoy your trip to Georgia.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! :) It was a blast. I haven't seen my parents since last May so it was super exciting to see them again!!

      Delete
  3. It's beautiful! And those colors are fantabulous on you. Admittedly, my first thought was "that dress is going to show her goodies" but I'm a Puritan (LOL)

    Fabulous as always, you're so awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!!! It was about to show errthing! I have to sew it together at least down to the knee...or else I'm going to be flashing all of the Minneapolis metro.

      Delete
  4. This dress is fantastic! I have had similar issues with wrap tops and skirts. I've had success with a couple options 1) pin top carefully while wearing then topstitch in place. 2) top stitch skirt in a similar matter to within 6 inches of knee. 3) make bright colored "slip" to go under skirt to the length that you don't mind showing off.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This dress is popping up all over blogland, and it looks good on all shapes and sizes. I'm going to have to give it a try. Thanks for the tip about wrap concerns. Even if the skirt portion didn't wrap, it would still be a great dress! Looks good on you Mrs. Smith!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love it!!, I made this same dress I will post it soon. The colors blend well together. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely dress and fabulous colours. The green and black fabric is amazing - look forward to seeing that made up!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I made this pattern and your bodice fits much better than mine did. And I love your fabric!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely maxi and that print was perfect for it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely print. It looks fabulous on you! Thanks for the heads up on the skirt. I love wrap skirts and dresses but the constantly fiddling with your clothes while you have them on is such a turn off sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! I LOVE your version of this dress! The print and colors are fantastic.

    Thanks for the heads up about the skirt - I did my first version with the un-slit skirt, but was thinking of doing the slit one for my second. Now I think I'd better just stick with the un-slit one!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I read each and every one; even if I don't have time to respond back!