Monday, July 28, 2014

Failure...Well Not Completely

I am not a Stash Buster. I am a Stash Collector.

I do not like fabric fasting...much like I do not like dieting. All that restriction only makes me want, want, want!!

So yeah.

During an episode of packing, I realized I have a boatload of black, grey and black/grey, black/white, black/grey/white stuff. I haven't sewn nearly as many summer items as I planned and of the summer things I have sewn, several have been black, b/w, b/w/g, tan, denim. All good...but I need some color!

Then I asked my husband (he does the laundry), he said "everything you have is black and white". Sigh...

(today I am wearing a black cardigan, white shirt and b/g/w pants - SHEESH!)

I wore my V1395 dress yesterday and found a couple of pretty remnants for tops this weekend and that served to fuel the bug.

I have A LOT of sleeveless tops/shells because I am a lover of cardigans. But sometimes a cardigan is just too warm at work so I need more lightweight tops with sleeves (cap, 3/4, not long sleeved-yet).

I ventured to SR Harris (love that place!) and found some pretties. Pretty much everything in the store is 1/2 off the advertised price on the bolt and if you are knowledgeable about fabric you can really make out like a bandit! I spent $29 on ~ 8 yards of fabric. Not too bad.

I'm not great at identifying "the good stuff" so I mostly looked for things that were labeled.

100% Cotton shirting

(super soft!) cotton voile

Cotton bottom weight

Feels like an ITY

This one isn't as "slinky" as the blue and feels more like rayon (I should run infrared on it!)

Mini Wardrobe:

I'm out. I haven't touched my machine in a week and won't have much time to sew until next weekend. I don't want to rush and make *something* just to enter the contest. 

I want to get a couple last summer things sewn, sew some tops that can transition to the cooler weather that will be here in 6ish weeks and then start my fall sewing.

I need pants, pants, PANTS!

Finished garments:

I actually finished this dress awhile ago and have even worn it twice! But I planned on making one for my sister for her birthday so I was waiting to post. I'll get to hers; promise.

For now: DD and I both have "new" maxi dresses!

McCall's 6559 which was a PR pattern of the year in 2012; and with good reason. It's a GREAT pattern!


I cut a 14 neck/shoulders/armhole and graded to a 16 for the rest. Somehow, the front and back were different lengths (maybe in all the seaming I got off) so I lost a much needed 2" of length, making mine "mostly maxi".

Cutting this one out was a bear but once cut, construction was smooth sailing. Wait...I think it took me longer to ensure I had the front pieces arranged properly than it did for me to sew them together! :) I used the serger for everything and used the 'turn twice and stitch' method for the neck and arms. It's been washed and worn again and that didn't come out poorly at all so...

I did NOT attempt to stripe match but it can certainly be done. But since I only had 2 yards of this, I don't think it would've been worth the headache to try to make it happen.


So then Dougie decided she NEEDED one too - of course!

I cut a straight size 8. She has broad shoulders and I knew she didn't need it narrower at the top. I did the other view, a simple front and back (yes, I matched the stripes!) so this was insanely fast to make.

Neither dress was hemmed. The stripes helped to ensure a nice straight cut on the bottom.

Next up:

Simplicity Sew Simple A1636 in rayon challis


41 comments:

  1. These are so cute! Girl, I'm rearranging fabric and clothing today. It feels like punishment for the purchases.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dorothy! I think I am going to have the husband pull my fabric bins up so I can rearrange. I think I need another bin! :-O

      Delete
  2. Cute Maxis. I have A1636 too and looking forward to your version.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sheila! It's almost done! Quick little project, that one. Oh my gosh, it's short though! Hopefully the review will be up tonight or tomorrow!

      Delete
  3. I'm with you on the Stash bit - it grows and grows - yesterday I added summer dressing gown fabric, house dress fabric, and more bits that have yet no destination. I'm also collecting more colours - I'm getting really serious about stash building!! Plus the patterns, whenever they are on sale. blow sewing to save money, I enjoy this!! I do like your long t-shirt dress (es). Looks great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stash collectors unite! :-D Good to know I'm in great company! Thanks :)

      Delete
  4. Love all your purchases (SR Harris is so fun!) and your maxi dresses! I too am a stash collector. Just last week I told myself don't buy anything else! So, what did I do? I ordered about 20 yards of fabric! I had to, it was all on sale. I am so hooked!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I now have two different excursions planned to SRH, 2 weeks apart. It's going to be rough! LOL!!

      It's too fun to imagine the possibilities. And then there's that hint of satisfaction when you find in stash, exactly what you are looking for!

      Delete
  5. Your dresses look great! As far as wearing more colors, I hope you're wearing that great print Vogue dress that you recently made a lot. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michelle!

      I *AM*! I have worn it twice in a week. That's okay, right?!?

      Delete
  6. As someone who buys ONLY brightly colored printed fabrics, I obviously approve of your current fabric purchases. ;) But I do love the things you have made in the B/W/G category, so beautiful and chic.

    You *know* I am excited to see what you do with Simplicity 1636...

    The two maxis are luscious. You did a fab job with them both!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha! Thanks!

      Okay...so I saw that you lengthened yours 3" and then said...but she's taller than I am (I think??). HOLY COW THAT DRESS IS SHORT!

      I can rock it though...

      Delete
    2. I am 5'8", length mainly in the legs, so yeah, had to lengthen it a lot. I did a very narrow hem (maybe less than an inch if I am remembering correctly?). It would have hit me mid-thigh if I kept it at its original length!!! CANNOT wait to see it on you. I know you will rock it, whatever the length!!!

      BTW, I have plans to sew up leggings to wear under it, so if you feel like it is too short and you are feeling conspicuous, it would look cute like that, too!

      Delete
  7. You both look great in your maxis! I love that pattern, too:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. First of all, let me say, I am not sure why your blog is not popping up in my blogroll even though I am subscribed. So, I almost missed this post, but I am so glad I didn't.

    Second, I love you mommy and daughter maxi dresses! They are awesome!! You did a great job on both of them.

    Third, I have that same Sew Simple pattern!!!! It is cute, and I can't wait to see what you do with it.

    Lastly, I wish there was an SR Harris near me. I have to settle with Hancock Fabrics, but I am determined to find a fabric shopping gem close to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! That's my little honeybun :) And you should sew A1636. It's REALLY EASY and shouldn't need too much fitting.

      So weird! It's because Blogger is crazy. CRAZY!!

      Well now, you'll just have to come up to the tundra so we can go!!! Now, you're in GA so you do have Fine Fabrics and Gail K and Fabric World. Not sure how far you are from those though. May be worth a mini road trip! My mom lives in Lawrenceville and went and had a ball at Fine Fabrics!

      Delete
  9. I have lots of b/w/g as well. They're safe colors and the serger cones are plentiful. =) Like you, I've started to reach out to other colors in the spectrum with the hope of brightening my closet.

    Your versions of M6559 are great. Nice job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yesssssss. The serger can totally dictate project direction!

      You've made some super cute stuff lately. Keep the momentum going!

      Delete
  10. Very cute maxis. I also tend to wear b/w/g a lot. They are just safe colors that work well for corporate clothing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! They ARE safe, versatile colors.

      Delete
  11. Love the maxi dresses! Fabulous. Can you believe there's only 6 weeks left of summer? Where has the time gone!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tomasa!

      It has FLOWN by! Time to gear up for fall!

      Delete
  12. I struggle with stash busting. I keep telling myself that I'm stash busting this year but I'm failing miserably at it. Both maxi length dresses are great. So is your fabric choices, love the blue one in the forth picture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!!

      Graca, you're so good about keeping track of everything! I don't even want to think about all the notions in addition the stash! :-O

      That blue is so vibrant, isn't it?! I can't wait to sew that one up!

      Delete
  13. Both dresses are adorable. Love your new fabric.. It is so fun to buy fabric..
    The simple pattern will be really cute..Happy sewing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Judy! It is too fun to buy new fabric. Too much fun :)

      Delete
  14. I love your maxi dress with stripes. I have this pattern , so I must remember to try a stripy version when our summer arrives.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jean Margaret! yes! Make it in fun stripes!!

      Delete
  15. Lovely fabrics and dresses. I think you've made the right call about the comp - you need to sew what you want/need rather than what you have to sew to fulfill someone else's requirements. I started a bit like that but found my sewing all over the place so have really pulled back. I have a large fabric stash which refuses to shrink! I'm rather bored by a lot of the patterns, and we don't get good sales here, so I don't have the problem of buying too many patterns, though I do have quite a few more than I need! Yesterday I spent ages sorting out the fabric which had spilled over everywhere, today I need to continue with the rest of the stuff, so no sewing. I like the pattern envelope of your next make, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anne!

      Oh gosh I have a tower of fabric in the dining room that really needs to be put away. I think that's my aim next weekend; to reorganize the fabric stash!

      Delete
  16. Nakisha! Nooooo you can't quite the mini wardrobe contest. Come suffer trying to finish, like me! There are moments that I would really like to burn my current project.

    And I hear you about the siren song of fabric and food...I also dislike destashing and dieting. Here's hoping my new fitness goals help me avoid some of the latter, and hoping to sew up a storm so I can make physical room to take on some more gorgeous textiles!

    Love you and your daughter's 6559s. Makes me want to make another. Yours is still way long enough to be a maxi - you don't want it long enough that you trip on it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And knowing me...I'd trip. And fall on my face. And break a tooth...or something. :-)

      Okay! I won't quit! I technically *do* have enough things made in July to make a cohesive entry.

      I am trying, as I like to say, to make sure there is "a little less of me".

      Delete
  17. Love the fabric especially the blue. The maxi dresses are cute and comfy looking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kelroc! I can't wait to sew those beauties up!!

      Delete
  18. Both you and your daughter look adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ain't nothing wrong with having a color palette all your own ... ! ;) Nice job on the maxi dresses, and oooooooh fabric. I love that you're totally open about stashing. I love to get fabric for 'later', but I can't bring myself to call it stashing. Ah, denial.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're stashing, you're STASHING!! lol! :)

      Thanks so much!

      Delete
  20. I love your stash philosophy. Unfortunately, my closet (and floor!) are telling me I need to do some stashbusting. There's just no more room! But-- look at all that color! Love it!!! And your maxi dresses look awesome! You have inspired me. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I read each and every one; even if I don't have time to respond back!