Thursday, July 17, 2014

Mini Wardrobe Update

I whined and moaned and groaned and decided to move forward with my sewing and whaddya know...I have a new mini-wardrobe plan!

One thing I've wanted to sew this summer is the Rebecca Taylor Vogue 1395




It's a simple but cute dress and has been made up successfully by several bloggers!


Morgan of Crab and Bee


Niema of Wearable Muslin 

Jamie on the Denver Sewing Collective blog

So I spent a whopping $5 on the pattern and put it in queue. Well my lime-sorbet-twill-disaster moved this dress right on up to the top of the list!

I only have the front of the bodice done; but it's a little bit of work; cut, apply bias bands to the neckline, top stitch, sew the CF seam, topstitch...Hopefully tonight I can get the rest of the construction done and hem it this weekend.

Can I line rayon challis with (poly) pongee? Or should I go for some lightweight cotton fabric? 

When I was still in my 'woe is me' state; I cut out M6754 in this mint(?) green ponte


I realized that with only a tweak or two; I am still well into having a 5 piece mini wardrobe completed!

Dress Progress:


With blazer:


So now my mini wardrobe will be:
B5926 kelly green blazer
V1395 dress 
M6841 white drape top
M6754 mint peplum top
NL6130 dark stretch denim pants







26 comments:

  1. The dress blazer combo is beautiful! Love the colors.

    As for the lining, I think pongee would work. Or, you could use bemberg.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Niema!

      I didn't realize the bemberg was rayon. It's on sale at JA for $5.99. I will have to go pick some up.

      Delete
  2. Ooh, I love your new mini-wardrobe. I love that Rebecca Taylor dress. It's looked great on everyone who has made it so far. I need to grab that one at the next Vogue sale.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michelle! Isn't it cute on EVERYONE!?

      Delete
  3. Oh, dude...I'm thinking about replacing my mini wardrobe dress with this one, too. Maybe I shouldn't...wouldn't wanna copy. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Uhmm; you should totally sew it! That's what we do! See something someone has made and decide we have to have it *right now* and make it up! :-D

      Delete
  4. Niema inspired me to buy V1395 after posting her version of the dress. It's definitely in queue to be sewn soon. I would line with bemberg; the polyester might make wearing the dress rather warm.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What fabric are you using?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My fashion fabric is a rayon challis. It's not "see through" at all and if the skirt was fuller I probably wouldn't worry about lining it...but I like the bemberg idea.

      I love Niema's version!

      Delete
  6. How great! I had a feeling you would come up with something! Sometimes mistakes can be the best thing ever--especially when you are re-directed to something better! I like the new direction you are taking, and the Rebecca Taylor dress as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh so true Vanessa! I have to learn to embrace the roadblocks and detours more!

      Delete
  7. This mini wardrobe is bomb :-).. and i saw what you wrote about the overlay on instagram... it was weird to understand right? I sewed my whole bodice in a twist at first lol smh

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tasha!

      YES. I was reading it like..."okaaaay. Uhmm. Err... I think it'll make sense when I get to it!" :)

      Delete
  8. Yay!!! I knew you would come up with something!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fantastic... I kinda figured you would still do the mini wardrobe.. And I like this one even better.. The dress is fantastic.. My friend did it, and she only lined the skirt.. Hers is beautiful.. I have got to have that pattern..Waiting on the vogue sale..ha Happy sewing.
    ps Love the dress fabric.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See, you're smart Judy...you pay me no never mind when I'm being bratty!!! :-D

      It seems like quite a fun little sew; I can't wait to wear it

      Delete
  10. Love your new mini wardrobe plans. Those colours all look great together.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm glad you moved on and re-worked your wardrobe plan - I can well understand your original feelings, cos I have plenty of those too! Good luck with completing this...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very pretty colors in your wardrobe - so happy you could make it work out :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. The plan look great so far to me. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your mini wardrobe is looking great so far. I love the dress colors.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yes, this is a very pretty dress! Love the print you chose for it.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I read each and every one; even if I don't have time to respond back!