Saturday, July 5, 2014

Mini Wardrobe: S1373 and M6841

When I first saw McCall's 6841 I was all...meh...there's like 37 yards of fabric there...not flattering...


But then it started popping up allll over the place. And on other ladies that aren't twiggy like the model...and I got intrigued.

I am SO happy with this top!!!




At one point during cutting, I realized I was on the XS line and fixed it. But I really wonder if I cut my sleeves on the wrong line. Not complaining though as I am totally in love with this top!!

My only beef with the pattern is the lack of direction on finishing the sleeved version. The sleeveless and this one use the same pattern pieces. The directions stopped at finishing the armholes on the sleeveless version but doesn't tell you how to finish off the sleeves (there's a seam on top). I had to pin it to Lily to figure out what I needed to do.

The burrito method of finishing off the collar works well.

The only other thing I might do is some topstitching on the opening. There's a big seam allowance there but with the drapey fabric, it wants to flip out sometimes.

Oooh! I stitched up about 2" higher than what was indicated on the pattern.

But yeah...it's LOVE! :)

**************************

Shorts are Simplicity 1373 in an ikat cotton sateen. Easy, peasy, lemon squeeze.
2 darts each front and back
inseams and side seams
crotch seam
lapped zipper
hem (I did a blind hem)

I decided to add a 1" waistband because I'm not with the whole "twill tape to finish" thing. I used a straight one even though I really need a curved one.

I couldn't match across the side seams. I had my fronts cut out and matched across and then realized oops...I can't orient my back pieces in such a way to match the side seams. Ah well.



Next up is the Butterick knit blazer in kelly green!

41 comments:

  1. I love that top too! It's so beautiful and I love that fabric you've used. This is definitely on my fall to do list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your top looks great and I'm seriously loving your shorts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This top is fabulous, and the shorts are too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know, I would have been meh about the top pattern too, if I hadn't seen it on you! It really looks great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! If not for the blogging world...I swear the Big 4 should just hire sewing bloggers to make up their pattern covers! :)

      Delete
  5. Love this top, and your whole outfit is cute! I think you sell this top way better than the cover art!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, that top is all you. Love all the drape on you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This top is so cute on you.. And it looks great with the shorts.. Absolutely love the shorts, great choice of fabric , for both. Happy sewing.. Can't wait to see the green blazer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I love this outfit! LOVE! I have the blazer all cut out and ready to sew!

      Delete
  8. I'm really feeling this top. It looks so good on you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would have glanced passed this top as well, but...WOW!!! Yours looks wonderful! You look fabulous in the shirt and shorts!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cute top and love the print on your shorts.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely top and looks fabulous with your ikat print shorts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! So glad I let this fabric 'tell me' what it should become!

      Delete
  12. Love the whole outfit. You look fab!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I felt the same way about M6841 when it first came out. Then I saw Toy's version and jumped on the bandwagon. Happy dance ensued. I'm looking forward to seeing your completed mini wardrobe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right!?! You, Toy, Melanie, Audrey, Myra...I was SOLD! :)

      Piece #3 was cut today!

      Delete
  14. I love it, especially that print

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh my I have to sew this one too! It's fabulous on you! The perfect pairing for those print shorts.

    ReplyDelete
  16. It turned out really great. I love the whole outfit.

    ReplyDelete
  17. So cute! I love the shorts you paired with the top...very chic!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great outfit. This is SO much better on you than on that twiggy model! I've made some ikat shorts too and love them. Nice work :)

    http://nikki-fancythat.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. This top is awesome on you! I too have been seeing it around the sewing blogosphere, and looking good in every instance.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I read each and every one; even if I don't have time to respond back!