I searched and searched and searched my pattern and magazine collection for a pattern "with a yoke and gathers and a band that I could contrast". This is the one flaw with having my entire collection on the Pattern Review site; all of the views of the pattern aren't on the photo. On the line drawing, sure, but I didn't even THINK about this pattern until someone posted a review a few days ago (Aleah at No Time to Sew). YAY!
I wanted to use this crazy vibrant challis I bought at FabricMart last year sometime with black as a contrast. I cut the pattern in a medium (I almost always take a medium for my 39.5" bust). The finished bust was 48" which sounds really excessive but I knew that the small (44.5" finished bust) would not leave enough room for my full bust. There are gathers in the back and that "excess" is more in back than in front. I also knew that the size small shoulders would be too small.
I removed 1" from the back pattern piece; for a total of 2" removed. This took me down to a 46" bust but gave me the much needed space for my full bust.
Just a tad bit of riding up in front still!
It really sits nicely over the butt. I think it was getting caught on my leggings...
The instructions, unfortunately, don't give the 'burrito method' for the yoke; I don't know why the Big4 won't update that already. It's SO easy and takes no extra time!!!!
I used solid black for the interior yoke as I didn't want the spots to show through.
I was going to use french seams but this fabric has some body to it and probably would've added bulk so I just serged my side seams after sewing. I made bias tape from the black challis for the armholes as you can see...
That challis was a NIGHTMARE on the band. I had to keep the pattern piece with it while interfacing and sewing the collar/facing because it kept getting distorted. As a result it is not super-neat. But it's black and doesn't look bad on...just up close with over exposure.
I also feel like the explanation of how to handle the front/neck bands wasn't perfectly clear. Lots of pinning, double checking, stitching, double checking...
OMG same with the placket/front band. I love that detail but can't seem to execute it well. I spent a LONG time on this unpicking and resewing and unpicking and ended up having to remove my pleat basting and just adjust that front pleat to fit because I was going mad.
Speaking of the front pleat, I don't love it...it just kind of billows out. I stitched it down the first inch and a quarter or so and that seems to help. Another good pressing may work wonders too. :)
1) A not so neat junction
2) PLEATS!! :)
3) I tried like 8 times to get the right to fully overlap the left and gave up.
4) reduced gathers
After all the drama, it was time for the easy, peasy part, side seams! LOL!
The yellow chalk line is the 5/8" seam.
The first line of stitching was my basting
The second line is where I ended up sewing my seams, using my french curve to blend
Because it was mostly trial and error, I lined the sides up as best I could and used tracing paper to transfer the new stitching line
Can you see the faint blue marks??
I am absolutely IN LOVE with this top!!! And have plans to make another - soon! As soon as this contest is wrapped up! :)
Definitely recommend this pattern, even with the fussy bands!
If Me Made May makes you stabby (stabby: The feeling that you could grab any nearby sharp implement and stab the nearest thing which may or may not include yourself...) you can click away now!!! LOL!
Day 1: S1980 top and Sandra jeans
Day 2: S1676 dress (with a jean jacket)
Day 3: Burda 6911 with RTW skirt (LOVE this outfit!)
Day 4: In-House Kimono tee with RTW jeans
Day 5: NL6108 top, B5760 skirt and RTW cardigan
Day 6: Burda 7866 top and KS3115 pants
Day 7: M5890 dress
Day 8: Head-to-toe!! B5926 jacket, M6927 top, V9032 pants
Day 9: S2054 tunic