Wednesday, May 27, 2015

A Different Kind of Mini Wardrobe...

First, I won 2nd place in the Wardrobe Contest on PR! Wooooohoo! Prize is a $75 gift certificate to Fabric Mart. You all know that's right up my alley! :)

There was some pretty strong competition over there and if you haven't checked out the entries, you SHOULD!

*****

My last attempt at an interview suit didn't make me so happy but I had to persevere and make another one! I decided on the Burda 3/2014 jacket and my TNT straight skirt, Butterick 5760. The weather had been absolutely dreadful here so I decided to make pants too! I used my TNT Vogue 9032.

Fabric is a wool/poly/lycra from Fabric Mart. Cut well. Sewed well. Pressed amazingly. I wore the pants to the interview yesterday and boy did those puppies grow! Wah! I came home and popped them in the dryer (to satisfy my own curiosity) and they fit fine. So we'll see about THAT.

Today I wore my red S1696 pants made from RPL and after about 2 hours they grew. This is why I avoid Lycra in my pants and especially in jeans. Where's the "comfort" if they can't make it through the day?!?! Whine...

B5760 skirt was made the same as here, the only change being a 1.5" hem instead of 2".
V9032 was made the same as previously...I left off the pockets and added belt carriers.

Even with TNT's, side seams get basted before being sewn. My pants have a 3/8" seam at the waist, 1/2" through the hip and 5/8" down. My skirt has 5/8" seams through waist and hip and 1" through the rest.

The jacket was muslined (as per my last post) in a size 42 and I ended up with the following changes:
*3/4" swayback
*taper the princess seams -- front and side front -- from 1/8" at the shoulder to 3/8" through to the waist, tapering to nothing.
*added 3/4" to the bicep on the sleeve. I measured and got 14 3/4" but somehow told myself it was 14 1/4". So i wanted a 15" sleeve. It's a little loose but doesn't look oversized. I made this adjustment on the upper sleeve only.
*I used 1/2" seam allowances and ended up using 5/8" at the front of the sleeve.
* I traced the separate facing piece but lost it during the cutting process...so I have excess at the shoulder seam on the facing. OOPS!

I am such a Burda fan.

It is an unlined jacket so I took the time to bind the back seam allowances; all others are serged with a narrow 3-thread overlock. I am really loving this jacket!

The photos!!!!

No, I didn't wear my FitBit to the interview! :)


All hems were done by hand


Just a little extra fabric in back.




OH the fight I had with this notched collar! It was my own fault; I'd sewn the wrong portion of the collar _and_ trimmed it back. I probably should've just cut a new collar and been done with it!


4 3/8" snaps as the closure


Pretty binding!!! You can just see the longer facing peeking through on the left :)


I probably should've done a slip-stitch. But I will usually wear the jacket closed so...


I ended up wearing the pants to yesterday's interview and will wear the skirt to the next one (different companies)


Skirt bias binding; top finished with button and elastic loop

I am really digging lapped zippers lately! :)


More binding on the waistband of the pants!


SUPER happy with how neat my fly-front turned out...


...less so about my machine stitched blind hem.

I'd run out of time and had to hem these by machine once I decided I was going to wear them. I was literally sewing on the last hook and eye about 90 seconds before I had to leave out the door.

Things went really well and the (90 minute!!!) phone interview I had today for another position went even better! I have a second interview tomorrow and an in-person for that job next week. Both plan to make a decision the week of June 8th at the latest.

42 comments:

  1. Notched collar on fleek! Beautifully tailored pieces. I plan to do a black wardrobe for fall.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on the mini wardrobe prize! $75 at FabricMart goes a loong way.
    Very nice job on this suit as well. I have a feeling you will be getting multiple job offers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So pleased that you were the penultimate winner of the wardrobe contest! This is a nice suit for interviews, I would definitely be impressed with the tasteful presentation! Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These turned out great for you! Hopefully these are the pieces that help you get the job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved your looks and voted for you so I am really happy you won! Enjoy that gift card.

    ReplyDelete
  6. suit looks fabulous and do you in it! congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats on winning !! Very nice suit with great details

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your beautiful smile and excellent suit look wonderful together!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats, on the win and the interviews. :). Great looking suit!!'

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love. love the new suit.. both pants and skirt look beautiful on you.. What a fantastic jacket..
    Best wishes on the interviews..Wish you the best.
    Congrats on wining the competition. So happy for you. Bet you will have fun spending the reward..

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was happy to see you as one of the contest winners because you were one of my votes :-). I love these pieces, I need to get on the ball with sewing pants and blazers because those were two of my reasons for learning to sew many years ago.
    Good luck with your interviews!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations on 2nd place, voting was tricky and really I have huge respect for anyone who manages to complete and photograph these wardrobes.
    Both versions of your suit look great, nice to make 3 pieces and have the versatility.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congrats on your recent pattern review 2nd place - well deserved. Fantastic little suit - I hope it does the trick:). Fingers crossed for a successful interview.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love your suit especially the the skirt combination. and the colour really suits you (one of my fav colours ). Hope it bought you good luck

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love your suit especially the the skirt combination. and the colour really suits you (one of my fav colours ). Hope it bought you good luck

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lovely work - as always. All the best for the interviews too.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful suit. it looks fab. Good luck with the jobs!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Congratulations on second prize in the PR Wardrobe contest. I love your new mini wardrobe. Very smart and I'm sure it will go a long way in helping you secure a job.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love the suit! I think you need to do the jacket in eyelet too though, just for fun :-)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Such a nice suit for any occasion. The skirt is exceptionally well fitted and hangs perfectly. I can tell from these pics you are really happy with the outcome.

    Good luck on the job search.

    ReplyDelete
  21. congradulations on the PR contest! love the suit , looks great on you!

    Helen

    ReplyDelete
  22. If they don't hire you on the spot, they are Crazy!
    :-) Chris

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love the suit! I dream of having a three-piece suit like that! :D Congrats on the PR contest. You deserved it! I loved your entry. :D Good luck on the interviews!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Congrats on the wardrobe win! Love these three pieces...classic and the color is perfect. Nice!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Congrats, and good luck!! Job hunting sucks, I know. All the pressure and the waiting. But you will look FABULOUS in your new interview duds. Fitbit and all. hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  26. I LOVE this on you Nakisha! That color is to die for and you look polished and professional--even with the fit bit! Prayers for your new job! :) BTW--congrats on 2nd place in the challenge! I just didn't have time to compete. :(
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  27. 1. Congratulations on your PR win! 2. You look fabulous in your new suit! You're going to have the best-fitting suit of any candidate these companies interview.

    ReplyDelete
  28. the suit looks really good - nice job

    I have to say wear your Fitbit to the interview - because it would show me (if I were interviewing you) that you are interested in your health which then may translate into a healthier employee (less sick days off, less $$ spent on health care etc.). It really looks good and speaks volumns about you and your "possible" commitment to health. My boss a DVP, talks endlessly about our company wide Fitbit competitions and the pride he has when he can give company stats that show 95% of his group walks 10000 steps per day or more. All is voluntary but we are all connected via the Fitbit app and do friendly competitions during the week and on weekends. So wear your Fitbit to every interview with pride.

    This would potentially be a win win for the company.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Love the separates and the work you put into them. Praying that you get that job!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Your wardrobe is very smart. It is so classic that I'm sure it will be very useful for a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Congrats! Your suit looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Congrats on your win. Your suit is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Beautiful suit! Love both the skirt and pants :D You are an interviewing madwoman! Sending you lots of good luck

    ReplyDelete
  34. Classy, professional and still youthful. Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  35. You are hired! That is a great interview suit, spot on. Congratulations on your win. You are such an inspiration to all the newbie sewists out there. You are far from a newbie now, woman!

    ReplyDelete
  36. I wish you the best of luck with these interviews panning out.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Great job! All the pieces look so well made. Good luck with your interviews!

    ReplyDelete
  38. you really do continue to amaze me! The suit looks fantastic, the light grey looks great on you. I hope all of the compnies end up fighting over you!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I read each and every one; even if I don't have time to respond back!