Thursday, April 16, 2015

Pattern Reviews: McCall's 6711 and 5523

I'm taking the lazy route and copying my reviews over. I rarely do this!

McCall's 5523

Pattern Description: 

Straight skirt, mid-knee length, has side zipper and faced waistline; skirt A has shaped lower back flounce; skirt B has pleated lower back; skirt C has gathered lower back with self-fabric ruffle; skirt D has two lower back flounces.

I sewed view B

Pattern Sizing:

4-12, 12-18. I cut a size 18 (finished hip is 45.5; my hip is around 44")

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?

Yes!

Were the instructions easy to follow?

They were. It's so much 'bang for the buck' with this pattern.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?

Love the back variations. Love the princess seams.

Fabric Used:

wool, rayon, poly blend suiting from Fabric Mart which is AWFUL! And I have so much of it! Wah!!!!

I washed and dried a 6x6 inch square and it came out beautifully unchanged. However when I press the fabric it shrinks up around the area I'm pressing. Even with a press cloth.

I did a very nice catch stitched hem by hand and now it looks all puckered after pressing. AND this stuff wrinkles if you think about looking at it. Ugh.

poly pongee from fabric mart

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:

I made this skirt about a year ago so I tried it on right before cutting and decided I needed to take in the waist a little so I removed 1" total on the pattern. Oy! Fabric difference!!! It JUST fits.

Fully lined it.

Somehow my facing is coming up short. I noticed it on my first version and it happened again. Perhaps I'm stretching my skirt out during handling.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?

I would! I love this pattern SO much!

Conclusion: 

Was making a suit (jacket is M6711). Love the skirt, hate the jacket. *VERY* proud of my point on the back where the pleated piece joins the center back. Swoon!


McCall's 6711

Pattern Description:
Semi-fitted jacket has convertible collar, self-lined front, princess seams, and long sleeves.

Pattern Sizing:

6-14, 14-22. I cut a 16

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?
No.

Were the instructions easy to follow?

Yes. Well save for the lining instructions. I can never understand what the patterns are saying and just use Grainline Studios bagged lining technique.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?

I hate it. I hate it. I hate it. Do not try to talk me out of hating it; it is futile!

It appears to be an 'easy wear' type of jacket. It doesn't meet in front but it looks roomy. I always sew a 16 jacket. Sure, I should have muslined (guess this is the muslin). It is SLIM. the sleeves are very slim compared to how they appear on the model.

I dislike the collar. I sewed a similar collar with B6104 and hated it. I would just rather sew an actual notched collar.

I guess I like the length!

Fabric Used:

Horrible suiting from Fabric Mart. I washed and dried a 6x6 inch square and it came out beautifully unchanged. However when I press the fabric it shrinks up around the area I'm pressing. Even with a press cloth.

So it got all weird every single time I went to press it. It was just impossible to deal with.

I really love this pongee lining from FM though. I wish I would have bought tons of it. I have 2 yards of several colorways but it is very comfortable in my garments. I wasn't fond of this color initially but with the suiting it looks very pretty.

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:

Narrow shoulder adjustment
Full bicep adjustment (not enough apparently!)
lowered bust point 1"
bagged the lining

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?

No. Others had success with it so I wouldn't say it isn't recommend.

Conclusion: 

Meh. I love the skirt and was going to muslin the jacket but it looked like such a 'straightforward' sew. I really dislike it. Aside from the too-tight sleeves it just doesn't look like "me".




Good: I love lined jackets. Swoon. 

I did not like this lining color when I bought it but it looks so beautiful against that fabric!


Good: I have fantastic legs. Thank you mommy


Meh.



I didn't mean to give the skirt the stank face. I think I was angry about the fabric at this point.


Kicked BUTT on that pivot point though!


Meh.


Best face ever.