Monday, April 6, 2015

PR Wardrobe Contest; A Litttle Sewing, A Lot of Whining

There may be a lot of updates about the contest - sorry (not sorry!) ;-)

I love being able to reference my blog for info on patterns/projects so I will definitely be 'journaling' the journey here!

I'll just post my whine post from the contest thread:

 I had a package arrive and one of my fabrics was not as I expected. So I literally spent about 3 hours on Friday trying to come up with new plans and (nearly) returning to my original plan with some tweaks.

Then I made a top Friday night that looks 3 sizes too big (I've made it before). 

So I changed courses a bit AGAIN.

Then I got up today (Saturday) and began putting together my Style Arc Madeleine. Horrific PDF experience. I have used their pdf's recently for the Sandra jeans and it wasn't this bad. I just packed the whole thing up and tossed it. I've requested a new PDF if/when they correct things.

(Just to note; I've assembled many PDF's. It's scaled correctly, I trimmed each page individually, the dang thing just DOES NOT line up.)

Photo evidence:

There was NO way to get this thing lined up!

So I moved on to making a muslin of my dress bodice (M6696). It fits at the neckline, is 1.5" too small at the bust and 3" too small at the waist. Annoyed, I moved on to "easier" tasks...

I almost cut my (KNIT!) fabric on the cross grain and as I realized I was removing the selvage, corrected it. That top is stitched and needs finishing.

Then I cut out my pants and did some of the minor work on those (interfacing pieces, prepping pockets, etc). 

And now I'm doing anything BUT going in my sewing room. NOT the way I intended on starting off! Wah!

So I shut down on Saturday and woke up Sunday RENEWED! :)

But I was still disheartened by the M6696 being so off from my "normal" sizing. And realizing I didn't really know how to fix it! And seeing so many awesome versions of it! WAH!!!!!

The front has 2 darts (bust and waist), but since it has cup sizing, the neck, shoulders, back were perfect.  I was already using the D-cup pattern piece and feared doing an FBA would just equal massive, ridiculous dart...I've walked away from it for now and hope to revisit it soon, but maybe not for the contest. M7121 is cute but I don't love it. I fell for the stripes and "OMG-racerback!" but I know I hate A-line skirts on me.

So I'll probably end up sewing like 12 things and putting together my wardrobe from there...subbing in a "previously made/rtw item" if needed.

The latest (and hopefully fairly finalized) plan:


The dress is sewn but needs lining and hems (Lately I've been getting so-so ITY). I have a dress that I made 2 years ago from a FANTASTIC ITY but what I've been getting lately seems much more appropriate for tops but not dresses. :sadface:

The first 3 tops are sewn but needs hems/other finishing (and I actually pressed and pinned the hems on NL6110 this morning).

NL 6110
(muslined here, nearly a year ago!)

The color on this is SO vibrant! I don't know what kind of fabric it is; well...it's obviously polyester...but it's not chiffon, it's not charmeuse, I've never touched georgette so maybe it's that? Or peachskin?? Don't know...It wasn't as 'mean' to me as some other poly, floaty fabrics have been.

I'm "losing" this weekend to traveling and will be sewing a jacket for my daughter this week and hemming/finishing my tops.

Hope to sew my trousers next week when I get back and then start my jeans (I desperately need another pair of jeans!)

26 comments:

  1. This may be a silly question, but how do you know ITY will be good for a dress but not a top? I ask because, in a bid to stashbust, I've been using my ITY for non-leggings projects. So far, so good, but I wonder how well they'll last in good condition.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I'm just thinking in term of coverage. The unlined dress shows a bit too much "body contour"! lol!!! Where my older ITY fabrics had enough body to be used alone and skim the body. I used them for both tips and dresses then...but the last few have NOT seemed to be heavy enough to cover the butt.

      Delete
  2. I sympathize wholeheartedly. I am doing a wardrobe for my husband this contest, and I finished his first trousers and they are too narrow in the leg (must be the corduroy creeping as I sew (?) I may need to switch to sewing for myself to make the deadline. (oh, darn!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want to attempt to sew for my husband soon so I applaud you!! Hopefully you can recover!

      Delete
  3. I love the fabric for NL 6110. It is vibrant and so pretty. I will keep my fingers crossed for you, wishing you good luck on your wardrobe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!

      I bought that fabric last year with my Mother's Day loot!! :)

      Delete
  4. Yay for making progress! Poo on the dress; are the actual pattern measurements way smaller than printed on the envelope/tissue? :( Or, are they just missing altogether? (my favorite!)

    Love that you're making some 1411s. When I'm not smuggling a soccer ball I really want to make those; had the pattern in my stash since it came out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, they're on there! I cut a 14D which is completely typical when I use cup sized patterns and it *says* it has a finished bust of 42" and I've never needed a 44" finished bust in a fitted garment so it definitely makes me curious. Especially since I got that one other McCall's pattern that was SEVERAL inches smaller than what they said. Wah.

      This is actually my 3rd pair of those! It's such a cool pattern!

      Delete
  5. Ugh. My comment got eaten!

    Anyway, I wanted to commiserate how frustrating that must be. I've had similar disappointment with ITYs ordered online. In any case, I love your NL 6110! As far as the mystery fabric goes, georgette is usually slightly sheer (although less sheer than chiffon) and often has a bit of texture to it. Peachskin tends to be smooth and opaque.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Silly Blogger :/

      Hmm. Maybe it's a poly crepe? It doesn't sound like either of those! LOL!

      So frustrating! I was all ready to whine and "quit"!

      Delete
  6. I, too, understand about ITY's. When I'm online shopping for fabrics, the ITY's seem so colorful and fit what I'm looking for. I hate that they're so lightweight and have very little 'heft', (as Carolyn would say), so I sadly move on to something else.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See, my 'old' ITYs ARE hefty and completely opaque!

      Delete
  7. Yup, uh-huh. That's why I don't do PDFs. I cannot print a ream of foolishness. Not even at work. >=)

    I've been meaning comment on your last few posts. First, that fuschia coat is smokin'. Did I say that already? And my gosh, we are built so similarly!

    I am still trying to put a plan together. I have some ideas, but have sewn nary a stitch. I don't know if I'll make the contest deadline.

    I love that new look top and fabric! Your fabric choices make me take a second look at things I wouldn't buy at first.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. grumble, grumble, stupid pdfs!

      Thank you!!! And yes we are! Short, thick and powerful!! LOL!

      I really love that NL top and just used a bad fabric last time. I'm excited to get this one finished!

      Delete
  8. Ugh! You win some you lose some. I wish you success from here forward.

    ReplyDelete
  9. (Ack, Blogger won't let me sign in with my Wordpress account--I'm Mads @ lifeinamadshouse.wordpress.com, not some anon weirdo, LOL!) Sorry that things haven't gone to plan for you so far--here's hoping it all comes together in the end!

    And come to think of it, I remember now that I had some similar issues with the Style Arc PDF I used a couple of months ago. I ended up taking the pages for each specific pattern piece and taping them together so the piece was lined up, tracing that piece, and then disassembling as needed to move on to the next piece. I guess I was so happy with the top that I forgot about that until now! I'm glad it's not just me, but I'm really sorry that you've had such a frustrating experience. =(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HAHA!!!!!! I looked at my email like...STRANGER DANGER! STRANGER DANGER!!! LOL!!! :-p

      Ah see. I think sometimes we get SO excited (and especially if we love the finished product!) that important details can go missing in the review.

      That is a good strategy should I decide I just HAVE to have the top (it's so cute!!!) Someone on PR mentioned they don't even connect the pieces at all, just trace part 1, overlay, trace part 2, etc, etc.

      Delete
  10. I'm so excited to see all your creations and final Wardrobe. I'll be watching.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yikes, those Madeleine pieces are really off! I wonder what happened. Half of those alignment diamonds look like they're missing chunks. My size 8 pieces seemed like they were ok.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So off! :( Wah! Maybe I'll print a few pages of a different size (since you get 3) and see if it's just that one.

      And I didn't realize that until way later like hmm...I can't even accurately line up the markings!

      So weird.

      Delete
  12. I'm sorry you have had a bad run - especially with your new machine. I guess this can sometimes happen with pressure too. Deep breath, start again.

    PDF's are a pain - I hate all the gluing, sticking etc. They are not cheap, especially when you factor in time and glue. Give me the big 4 anytime - they may not be perfect, but at least I know what I am getting, how they fit and so on. Usually. Not for you this time though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They totally are NOT cheaper! And I cannot even consider paying an additional $7-$10 to have them printed large format. Blah.

      Delete
  13. EEG sorry about that but you can DO IT!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow Nakisha, you are sure persevering. I admire your ambition. You will make a great wardrobe in the end, just keep at it. The top looks pretty in that fabric, too.
    And I get disgusted by pdf's that don't line up as well ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I read each and every one; even if I don't have time to respond back!