I wanted S1280 so badly. So. So!!! But I was afraid of it. And I would see versions pop up and swoon and think "maybe, one day".
This Saturday the hubster did a Habitat for Humanity thing so he was gone all day. Son was away at a friend's house. Daughter was in bed, sick (she's doing much better now!!). I didn't even have any intentions on sewing anything this weekend but I was bored to death and had finished two books in the past two weeks and am not a huge tv fan. So...
To the cave!
Wait; The layoff occurred April 8. I have sewn 9 things since then. Sheesh. And I had made a point, except for the jeans and maybe a couple of small bits, not to sew in the evenings once everyone was home! Plus there were a couple of days that I didn't sew at all! The speed just happens on it's own you guys!
Anyway, I went to the cave and was determined. I was going to make this top and I was going to make it good!
Step 1) Choose good fabric.
I found this sandwashed rayon at SR Harris during one of the meetups recently. I did not know that sandwashed rayon was a thing.
It is fantastic! Completely opaque, stable enough to not be a headache, yet possessing lots of drape...I need more. more. MORE!
Step 2) Choose the right size.
Ah. S/M/L. Okay, I always take a Medium. Let's go with that. wait. Ah, I had attempted this pattern before! It was already cut out! The polka-dot chiffon that I first tried it with must have instilled extreme fear in me!
Step 3) Adjustments.
Oh, the interwebs. So many notes of "so much ease!" "No adjustments needed!". I didn't even attempt to change the body but knew I'd better look at that sleeve. I ended up adding 1" to the bicep.
Step 4) No rush.
I had no sewing plans all weekend so, so what if this takes me a couple days. I shall French seam all the seams!!!!
Which I did, except for the sleeve. I found the tutorial on Grainline's site and was gonna do it but...too chicken. I sewed and serged that one.
So with french seams, making my own bias tape, super careful sewing...I still finished this in the course of a few hours on Saturday.
I finished at around 6 p.m. and was rapidly losing daylight. So my pics aren't great.
It looks good on Lily. Lily does not have enormous biceps though.
I just love this :)
SUCH pretty insides!!!
I mentioned well meaning sewing friends. So many people made this in a knit...and then commented on how roomy it was. WAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It is intended for wovens!!!! So using a knit is changing things. That's okay but mention that it is intended for wovens but you used a knit! Wah! Wah! Wah!
Ok, I over dramatize...but still. You get what I'm saying, right?
I mentioned adding 1" to the bicep and holy cow it's still snug! so snug! I have to 'arrange' myself into the top when I first put it on, then it's okay. Not sure if I'll make this top again (quite distinctive). I do like the other view but it's gone. It wasn't in the pattern envelope. I misplace pattern pieces often. It's so sad. :/
If I made it again I would add another 1/2" to the bicep, do a slight FBA and worth noting instead of 1/4" elastic I used 1/2" in the hem and 3/8" in the sleeves. I'd probably do the same.
I'm not sure what's next on the cutting table but know I plan to make a floral moto jacket using the Lisette Butterick pattern.
I like both of these for different reasons but having a tough time deciding. Both are cotton; the blue/white is a sateen, the other is a pique. Scale is about the same...