Sunday, April 26, 2015

Simplicity 1280: Even When I TRY to Sew Slow...

So let me give you a little insight into the craziness inner workings of SewCraftyChemist...Make a coat? Sure! Jeans? Sounds fun!!! Soft flowy top? FEAR AND TERROR!!!!!!!!

I wanted S1280 so badly. So. So!!! But I was afraid of it. And I would see versions pop up and swoon and think "maybe, one day".

This Saturday the hubster did a Habitat for Humanity thing so he was gone all day. Son was away at a friend's house. Daughter was in bed, sick (she's doing much better now!!). I didn't even have any intentions on sewing anything this weekend but I was bored to death and had finished two books in the past two weeks and am not a huge tv fan. So...

To the cave!

Wait; The layoff occurred April 8. I have sewn 9 things since then. Sheesh. And I had made a point, except for the jeans and maybe a couple of small bits, not to sew in the evenings once everyone was home! Plus there were a couple of days that I didn't sew at all! The speed just happens on it's own you guys!

Anyway, I went to the cave and was determined. I was going to make this top and I was going to make it good!

Step 1) Choose good fabric.

I found this sandwashed rayon at SR Harris during one of the meetups recently. I did not know that sandwashed rayon was a thing.

It is fantastic! Completely opaque, stable enough to not be a headache, yet possessing lots of drape...I need more. more. MORE!

Step 2) Choose the right size.

Ah. S/M/L. Okay, I always take a Medium. Let's go with that. wait. Ah, I had attempted this pattern before! It was already cut out! The polka-dot chiffon that I first tried it with must have instilled extreme fear in me!

Step 3) Adjustments.

Oh, the interwebs. So many notes of "so much ease!" "No adjustments needed!". I didn't even attempt to change the body but knew I'd better look at that sleeve. I ended up adding 1" to the bicep.

Step 4) No rush.

I had no sewing plans all weekend so, so what if this takes me a couple days.  I shall French seam all the seams!!!!

Which I did, except for the sleeve. I found the tutorial on Grainline's site and was gonna do it but...too chicken. I sewed and serged that one.

So with french seams, making my own bias tape, super careful sewing...I still finished this in the course of a few hours on Saturday.


I finished at around 6 p.m. and was rapidly losing daylight. So my pics aren't great.


It looks good on Lily. Lily does not have enormous biceps though.


I just love this :)



SUCH pretty insides!!!

I mentioned well meaning sewing friends. So many people made this in a knit...and then commented on how roomy it was. WAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It is intended for wovens!!!!  So using a knit is changing things. That's okay but mention that it is intended for wovens but you used a knit! Wah! Wah! Wah!

Ok, I over dramatize...but still. You get what I'm saying, right?

I mentioned adding 1" to the bicep and holy cow it's still snug! so snug! I have to 'arrange' myself into the top when I first put it on, then it's okay. Not sure if I'll make this top again (quite distinctive). I do like the other view but it's gone. It wasn't in the pattern envelope. I misplace pattern pieces often. It's so sad. :/

If I made it again I would add another 1/2" to the bicep, do a slight FBA and worth noting instead of 1/4" elastic I used 1/2" in the hem and 3/8" in the sleeves. I'd probably do the same.


I'm not sure what's next on the cutting table but know I plan to make a floral moto jacket using the Lisette Butterick pattern.

I like both of these for different reasons but having a tough time deciding. Both are cotton; the blue/white is a sateen, the other is a pique. Scale is about the same...

Decisions, decisions.





31 comments:

  1. Bummer about the sleeve tightness--this is so pretty on you! I've seen so many versions of this made up in a knit that I had no idea it was made for wovens.

    I have what I'm pretty sure is some of that same blue/white floral sateen (FabricMart, right?) I remember seeing a picture of Michelle Obama in a sleeveless (of course) dress in a similar print a little while back, and I got it into my head that that fabric must absolutely be used for a sleeveless dress, FWIW. So, basically, I'm voting for floral on the navy background for the moto jacket.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michelle!

      YES, FabricMart! And I just googled that dress - GORGEOUS!!!!

      Delete
  2. Two things:

    First: That simplicity top is for wovens? Fasho? I bought it thinking it was for knits. Hah. I don't read.

    Second: Having made a jacket out of that very same floral pique, it would totally get my vote. Except, I have yet to wear said jacket.

    Loving the not-a-knit top!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See! LOL! I'm like, people, people, PEOPLE!!!! This is NOT a knit pattern! LOL!!!!!!!

      YESSSS you did make that blazer in pique! I should go for it.

      Delete
  3. I love this on you! It's such a chic design and that fabric is just dishy. Who knew sandwashed rayon was a thing? Its drape really is beautiful.

    Also, I sympathize on the tight sleeves. Even with patterns that have "OMG! So much ease!" my biceps invariably need extra room. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mary!! This fabric is all of the bees-knees!

      Big-biceped sisters unite!

      Delete
  4. Aw- that's it! I'm pushed over the edge- must have that pattern. If I don't plan early at cutting- like I plan at all- French seams can take too much of my arm room- God forbid I can't reach for snacks easily!?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ooh! I wondered if my french seams took away even more arm room. Veddy interesting!!!!

      Delete
  5. I really love this top. I love the pattern, the fabric and the colour. It looks great on you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What can I add to the above comments? Not much, so I'll just say I love it - and re arms, it doesn't look too bad - I'm assuming you can move your arms:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right :) I can move so that's good! Just that the fit through the upper arm doesn't keep in with the overall flowy-ness of the rest of the top!

      Delete
  7. Love your top, the insides are so neat and that neckline is really interesting. The fabric is a wonderful colour too, sand washed rayon is new to me and is now on my list to hunt down and pet like a crazy fabric obsessed woman!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pet it if you can!!! :) Thanks Kristy!

      Delete
  8. Lovely top. Thanks for the info re: woven vs knits.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I created a muslin for this shirt using a cotton blend and if I'm not mistaken the pattern calls for Jersey or woven for all views of the shirt. I attempted view B and it was tight in the chest area as well. At the time I was too afraid to attempt a FBA so I never went back to it and didn't do a review. Wish I could have saved you some heartache by doing a review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Nope! It says:

      jerseys, cotton lawn, crepe back satin, crepe de chin, double georgette, gauze, silky types.

      Delete
    2. Ah I re-read your post. If a pattern gives all woven fabrics and then says 'jersey' too, I am almost always thinking more of a 'matte jersey' fabric which isn't all that stretchy at all.

      Delete
  10. What a pretty top, Nakisha! If the bicep tightness is a deal breaker for you, you could add an underarm gusset. I've done that before, and you can't even see it unless you are raising your arms.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah! Great tip Ann! We will see how it wears!

      Thank you!

      Delete
  11. Very cute fabric! Looks great on you. I have this pattern on the top of my stack. I've got a skirt in the works first but then it's onto this top to go with the skirt. Mine is a knit, though, and I'm chopping off the long sleeves for Florida summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Can't wait to see it Debbie!!!

      Delete
  12. Beautiful.. Love the fabric too. SO sorry the sleeves were too small..But, hopefully, you will still be able to wear it some..that color looks so pretty on you. HAPPY sewing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. So fun to show off the perfect inside seams. The peach color is so flattering! I Also discovered the sandwashed rayon at SR Harris and am cutting out a summer dress from it right now. It's beautiful fabric and washes like a dream. Can't wait to see your jacket!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it fantastic fabric?!?! Oh my gosh!!!

      Thanks so much Barb!

      Delete
  14. So so cute! This top looks so good on everyone who sews it. I have the pattern somewhere. I like both those floral fabrics. The blue and white would look fab in a moto jacket. Contrast of the floral with the tough moto jacket style. I saw a blazer style jacket sewn from a fabric similar to the 2nd floral print on a sewing blog recently. It looked great with jeans.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Audrey!!! I know! I had been kicking myself for not sewing it earlier!

      The colorful floral is cut and in progress as a we speak! Lining is almost completely constructed.

      Delete
  15. You did a great job and your insides are beautiful! I think I've got this pattern somewhere, too!. I totally get reading reviews can make you scratch your head and not know what to do. But, there is one "person" who will always tell the truth...my measuring tape! Hehehe

    www.StyleSewMe.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. This top is so pretty! I'm glad you decided to dive into it. Fear sometimes attaches to something that isn't really that bad in the end ;-) I'm glad your daughter is feeling better. Can't wait to see what's next!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I read each and every one; even if I don't have time to respond back!