Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Simplicity 2369 + Unselfish Sewing + My Ramblings...

I've finally reached sewing burnout during my down time! LOL!!! I did a little work on my B6169 jacket yesterday and may finish the lining today, but my 7-months pregnant with twins niece is visiting me today! YAY!

jacket progress


I knew I wanted to make S2369 again, as a dress. Walking past the closet I saw the little care package I had made for my mom and was like, OMG that fabric! THAT FABRIC IS IT!!!!!!


I made zero fit adjustments...with the top I'd sewn smaller seam allowances. This time I used all 5/8" seams and the short sleeves.

I did a serge and fold hem on the sleeves and did a 3/4" double turned hem. On the neckline, I did a 5/8" narrow hem.

Sleeve and neckline 

I did not have a nice buckle in the stash, so I just cut two of the ties out:


L.O.V.E.


Look Ma! No swayback!!!


This dress makes me HAPPY!!! Fabric is OF COURSE from FabricMart...a navy and white ITY that was a dream to sew.

Next up was some printed pants for DD. She'd wanted a pair from Target duplicated

Dear Target: Your print matching here is atrocious...


When I saw this print at FabricMart during a sale on challis I snatched it up. I'd planned on making matching pants for us (Twinsies!!) but I wanted to fight this fabric the entire time and I will not touch it again. Okay, I was thinking I could make a scarf with it...


I cut the waistband on the crossgrain just to not have to deal with attempting more print matching. Gah.

I used Burda 6938, which I used for her shorts before. Size 12, no length adjustments! And DD has a looooonnnnng inseam so keep this in mind.

Lastly, yesterday was the last band concert of the school year. She will be a SENIOR next year! Gah!!! She'll be in 3 bands, playing 2 instruments (baritone and trombone) and will be section leader of one. I was able to get one of her friends to nab a pic of us last night:


I swear it was just yesterday that she was sitting on the kitchen counter gnawing on a chicken leg...

58 comments:

  1. Beautiful dress! And those black and white print pants are so in right now - at least for the younger crowd. I'm not touching those, either for the pain of matching the print to sew them or wearing them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm right with you Lori! She can have them! :) THanks!

      Delete
  2. Love the dress and the fabric. I think I missed that one in the sale. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the dress !! Such a great job with a really pretty print 😄

    ReplyDelete
  4. You look amazing in that dress. And your daughter is beautiful in her pants. Good job, Mrs. C!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your dress is one of the best things you have made yourself, and that is saying something! You look terrific! Your dd pants are great too. I agree with you about the Target pants, yours are superior in every way. Great job. Thanks for sharing all you do (which is A Lot!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I really, really love it!

      Delete
  6. That dress is really flattering on you. You found just the perfect fabric for it. Your beautiful daughter sounds very talented!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ann! And she's sweet and kind too! Such a lucky mama!

      Delete
  7. Two lovely black and white ensembles. I can't decide which I covet more!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great fabric choice for the dress. I was just looking at that pattern as one option for some dresses I want to make.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's a keeper! Thanks Kelly!

      Delete
  9. Both pieces are great! Love your fabric choices.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really like the new dress! You just need a few days without sewing and you will be right back at it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Or a new pattern! ;-) Thanks Carolyn!

      Delete
  11. You AND the dress look awesome and together it's a perfect match. Enjoy wearing it. Your daughter is lovely! How wonderful she enjoys you sewing for her. I sure know that feeling of time flying and they are grown before you know it. She sounds like a very accomplished musician. Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the dress.. just perfect.
    Beautiful mom and daughter photo..[oh..where does all those years ago,with our sweet little babies? How I miss mine]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Judy! It's so insane how quickly it happens!

      Delete
  13. Love, love that dress! Perfect match between fabric and pattern. You make me want to pull this pattern out of my stash.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the dress. Thanks for sharing the beautiful mom and daughter photo!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love that dress. Fits you beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great dress, that fabric is perfect and great work on getting rid of the dreaded swayback. I love how your beautiful daughter is a bit taller than you because that's gonna be me in no time at all too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kristy! I should note that I am wearing 3" heels while she is in flats!

      Delete
  17. LOVE that dress! and LOL @ "gnawing on a chicken leg" haha so cute

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I mean, it was YESTERDAY for crying out loud! :-p

      Delete
  18. It's crazy how babies just keep growing! COngrats for your little (grown!) one! And hello.... that dress... loooooove it. Her pants are just so cool looking, too.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Zero fitting adjustments? Make a copy of that pattern and put it in a safe deposit box! That dress is perfect on you.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Everything and everyone on this page is beautiful (well, except this mismatched Target pants)

    ReplyDelete
  21. That dress is perfect on you, looks fantastic. I've seen far worse pattern matching than those target pants but I agree yours are better!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Cute dress! Love the pant fabric and the finished work.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Awesome pattern matching in the pants and a really lovely dress too!

    You are firing on all cylinders. Hoping all else is going well too.

    ReplyDelete
  24. awww your baby is grown up! She sounds like she is doing great things though. I love watching my kiddo play in band, lol. The pants look great on her and your pair are so much better than target's. LOVE your dress, the fit is perfect and the print is great! Hey, I have a question, do you line your ITY dresses? They look great on you. I really love the fabric but always feel like all my lumps and bumps are showing too much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!!

      Lately my ITY has been really hit or miss. Some are super thin but this one had really good opacity and was thickness enough to go unlined.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the reply Nakisha :D I love the prints on ITY's but I feel like some are just so thin! ;-)

      Delete
  25. Okay, so this is a few months, okay many months, after you posted! But, you did such a great job! I am from PR.com, and cannot believe that you just started sewing a short time ago! Well, maybe about 2 years or so, ago, now. Anyway, love the pic of you and your DD, and yes, times does fly! Annette

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I read each and every one; even if I don't have time to respond back!