Wednesday, April 1, 2015

March Wrap-Up & Pattern Review Contest

I've sucked at fabric fasting.

Sigh.

It seems as if I get all overwhelmed and spend a little bit of time fasting and then want ALL THE THINGS! I bought fabric at SR Harris and went back and bought a little more (Hey, I got sanwashed rayon and when I went there again (for swimsuit fabric) there was POLKA-DOT sandwashed rayon!!!

Sigh. :)

This month I sewed 20.5 yards. Epic sewing courtesy of a traveling husband and busy kids - yay me!!! I made 3 tops on the on the sew-day I took off.
  • McCall's 6754 in white ponte - 1.25 yards (for my stepdaughter)
  • Simplicity 1317 in mesh and ponte - 2 yards
  • Burda 03/2013 dropped waist dress - 2.5 (March Burda Challenge project; complete and utter FAIL and the photo evidence has already been deleted - sorry!!)
  • McCall's 6078 in navy/white ITY - 1 yard
  • Butterick 6169 in grey wool - 2 yards 
  • Vogue 1436 top in green cotton lawn - 2 yards
  • Bura 6911 top in black/white striped jersey - 1.5 yards
  • New Look 6104 in red chambray - 1.25 yards
  • Burda 08/2014 top in printed cotton lycra - 1.5 yards (for my daughter)
  • Burda 6938 shorts in grey sweatshirt fleece - 1 yard (for my daughter)
  • McCall's 5400 bikini top in plum swim fabric - .5 yards
  • Simplicity 1374 bikini bottoms in plum swim fabric - .5 yards
  • Burda 6907 pants in olive suiting - 2 yards
  • Butterick 6066 muslin in plaid cotton - 1.5 yards

3 gifts
1 muslin
1 failed dress
5 tops
1 jacket
1 swimsuit
1 pant

Favorite: Gosh that's a hard one. I really love my garments this month. I will have to say the red chambray NL6104. It's totally about the effort I put into it. I didn't love it when I first finished it but I am very, very proud of the work and I've worn it every chance I've gotten!

Biggest accomplishment: I sewed my own swimsuit!!!!

FAILS: Aside from me making a drop-waist dress...sigh...

I didn't muslin the Burda pants and the butt shows ;) So while I am NOT of the belief that every.single.wrinkle must be resolved, I know how to do the adjustment that will give me enough room through the inner thigh for the fabric to hang properly. I will wear the pants; believe that! LOL!

***********************

Quick photos of the girls' goodies this month:

Wait! First my mom in some of the things I made for her! :-D



SD in her peplum top

DD in her shorts


DD in her tee (Look at that pattern matching!)

****************

The Pattern Review Wardrobe contest starts today! YAY!!! Since I've been sewing it has always been a "mini wardrobe". This is the big one! :) I have revised my plans and knowing me, they may change again. But my color palette is going to stay the same; blues, greens, grays, black, white. Hey, I like it ;)


I will be traveling a weekend or two during the contest and Mother's Day will happen too. My plan is to attack the 3 knit tops I've made before first.

Burda 6911 then the kimono tee (which is already a different pattern choice than the Maria Denmark tee shown here) and Simplicity 1916.

I'll hopefully start V9032 this weekend and get those done and a muslin of the bodice of M6696 done before I leave town next week.



Are you joining in the contest this year?