Friday, April 10, 2015

PR Wardrobe Contest: McCall's 6969

THANK YOU ALL! I big sincere thank you for the outpouring of support about my job loss. I am surprised but not. Sad but not. Excited about what may come next but annoyed at having to search and interview again.

I did start on a skirt suit today using M5523 as the bottom and will muslin S2446 next week. I decided to take these days off as mental health/sew days and Monday morning I'll be up and at it, getting my resume updated.


I'll get those pleats worked out. LOL!


***

Because my M6696 shirtdress was looking like a fail (maybe I'll post the muslins when I go back to it). I decided to use the chambray for a jumpsuit instead! It's lightweight but opaque and stable enough to not give me a headache during sewing.



I used view C because I don't like A and view D realllllly needs the "right" fabric. View B is okay so maybe another time for that one.

I bought this in the larger size range, L-XXL. I really needed a medium up top and a large on bottom. But as you can see, the top and bottom are one piece so I'm not sure how I could grade down the bodice.



It doesn't look crotch-tastic in person. 



I ended up having to take armhole darts to make it fit a little better. There's still a tuck needed at the neckline, as you can see. 

I cut an XL at the back crotch and used royal blue bias tape for the casing. I was TOTALLY gonna use paisley again but I cut it out, stitched the ends together and realized I'd sewed them wrong. Womp-womp. 

There are two channels for elastic in the hem. I LOVE this treatment! Much nicer finish than just one. However, I started with 11", that was far too long and then I chopped off too much. So if I pull them down they look like genie pants. :)

I think it would look really cool with a fitted cropped blazer. I don't have one of those but I tried it on with the blazer I recently picked up at Target and confirmed it would look great with a jacket




Please do not ask me what they mean for finishing the bottom of the placket; I do not know. It was confusing and unclear and in the end, I did what I do...I just did what looked right. Hey, it works!!!

I have the last two tops sewn but in need of hems and will get back at it after making the suit and a couple of shells.

Later!

28 comments:

  1. I love the jacket over the little jumpsuit - cut but smart all at once.

    You know, you are going to have to make some smart outfits for interviews next...

    And good luck with all of that - quite daunting, but I'm sure you will just tackle it like any other job. Something that's got to be done, so do it sort of thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sarah Liz! :)

      I think I am looking forward to sewing a few skirts and blouses :)

      Delete
  2. I didn't realize you had lost your job. I guess traveling makes staying on top of those things hard. I am very sorry to read this, and you will be in my prayers and thoughts!

    But on the lighter side of things, that denim colored chambray is so beautiful and suits your complexion! You look beautiful in this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dina!

      Yeah this is another one of those "dang it! I only bought 2.5 yards of this?!"

      Delete
  3. Proud your sewing while you have the time off.. [but sorry , you have to do the "job interviewing", so frustrating..I am praying for you.
    Love the jumpsuit ..so cute on you.. and the skirt is going to be pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Judy!

      I am loving the fit of that skirt!

      Delete
  4. Oh no!! I missed the post about losing your job. I've been MIA for a few days and have to catch up on my reading. I am so sorry to hear about the job. *huggums* I hope this means greater opportunities for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks L! I'm sure I'll come out fine on the other side ;)

      Delete
  5. the jumpsuit turned out great! looks great with the jacket as well

    Helen

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think it looks great on you - the whole getting completely undressed to go to the ladies has always stopped me from joining in the jumpsuit trend! Sorry to hear about your job, enjoy your mental health days and good luck for the job search.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Robyn!

      I see that all the time lately with the current explosion of jumpsuit patterns! Lol!!! I guess I havent had a problem!

      Delete
  7. Love the jumpsuit ! I have that pattern in my stash and now I'm thinking that I really need to give it a try !!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh that is a really cute outfit. I love a jumpsuit (on other people as I'm too old for one now although at one time there was alwys one in my closet ).

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a smart idea to layer with a cropped blazer! I want to try a jumpsuit but feel so confused how to really wear it. Great choice of fabric. PS... crotch-tastic... you're killing me! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's like a dress kind of. A casual dress.

      Delete
  10. It is so cute with the blazer and heels!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Can I say this? Will the lightening strike? I have always been most anti-jumpsuit, but I feel a change in my Grinchy heart- I love this- you've sold me- you look great!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am jumpsuit obsessed right now and yours looks great! I don't think I can squeeze one into my wardrobe contest entry, though. Wah!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! :) I think I need to make S1355 too. And the new McCalls ;)

      Delete
  13. Love this! It's so stylish and full of personality :) love seeing all your makes, you're really rocking it on your time off and I wanted to tell you how encouraging that is:)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I read each and every one; even if I don't have time to respond back!