Wednesday, May 13, 2015

DONE! Pattern Review Contest Entry

Sooooo uhmm, remember those plans I uploaded before? Yeah...Never mind those.

In the end, I took out all the things I've sewn since April 1st and spread them out. I started putting together items I thought would work best (and of course that filled the contest requirements of 4 tops + 3 bottoms where all tops match all bottoms, and 2 sewer's choice).



I am very happy with my final wardrobe!!! It took an eternity to take all the photos but I am digging this wardrobe/SWAP type sewing. I want to sew all the things but I want to actually WEAR the dang things! :)

I really wanted a white piece and decided I didn't like the Burda kimono top as much as I thought. It just isn't 'crisp' enough for me. We'll see if I can make it wearable...I was *this* close to sewing a white jacket or vest or cardigan but seriously could not muster up the energy to fiddle with one more pattern. Just COULD NOT.

Since I'd been raiding my UFO box; I pulled out the navy wool jersey M6996 cardigan I cut back in January, which was pinned together in some places but still unsewn. Whipped that puppy up today as one of my "premade" / sewer's choice items. I love how well the dark navy plays with other items!

I named my wardrobe "Work Hard, Play Harder" because I really want to get my wardrobe working well together. I don't mind having some items that are exclusively 'work' or 'play' but I wanted to have a bit more cohesion and I think that I accomplished it!

Here are my combinations; you'll notice some are 'missing', but I only put together outfits that I would ACTUALLY wear.

For the dress there's obviously two options; dress alone plus dress with cardigan.

Since I know I wouldn't wear the loose, floaty NL6110 top with the straight skirt and it's too voluminous to pair with the cardigan, I eliminated those options.



For the grey top (Buda 6911); while the cardigan worked with the black skirt with the other tops, the navy, grey and black did nothing for me together, so I eliminated that option



 For the black/white striped top (M6839):


For the animal print top (M7094):

All of the items have been reviewed here on the blog; I've made M6996 a couple other times so I'm sure there's a review here somewhere :) I cut a size medium. The end :-p

McCall's 6839, Burda 6911, Vogue 1411
McCall's 7094
Style Arc Sandra

My fave looks:


35 comments:

  1. I LOVE this swap! I have always wanted to put one together but just could not wrap my mind around pieces I would actually wear. You did a fantastic job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the combinations! Looks great to me - wish each piece was in my closet now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Woo-hoo! Congratulations on your fantastic new wardrobe! I think that those blue pants are my favorite piece out of the collection.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Everything looks wonderful! Enjoy wearing them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So awesome and extraordinarily wearable! And your pictures are pretty cute, too: especially the upper left one of your fave looks. :P

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats. Impressive effort and it shows! Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You did a wonderful job on this. I love how each piece goes with another. :) Good luck to you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have actually put a skirt over a dress because I wanted the top of the dress to go with a specific skirt - worked well if the dress was not too bulky

    You have great pieces and did some awesome paring.

    Nice job.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome work, love the pop of blue!

      Delete
  10. It all looks so amazing! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What an amazing wardrobe! You are truly an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is so impressive! Also, your me-made-may stuff is inspiring, too. Looking good every day. This pushes me (in a good way) to keep trying:) Thanks, and enjoy all your new clothes!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congrats! That was quite a project!

    ReplyDelete
  14. It certainly was quite a project - and doesn't the shirt with the placket you were worried about look good! It must have taken you hours to dress up and model this stuff. A fantastic selection of great wearables. Good luck in the contest.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful wardrobe.. Love all the different outfits you are getting from these pieces. Best wishes in the contest.

    ReplyDelete
  16. All are fabulous! The color combinations are so elegant and they fit your like a charm :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great work Nakisha. A very cohesive and wearable wardrobe. Good luck in the competition.

    ReplyDelete
  18. A winning SWAP for sure! Those are some very wearable and great outfits. You nailed the color combinations too.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Fantastic work, Nakisha! I love the clean, modern vibe of your collection.

    ReplyDelete
  20. i REALLY LIKE YOUR efforts! Terrificwork and well done! Annette (sorry caps were on and I didn't realize it!)

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is FAB-U-LUUUUUS!!! Well put together. Your faves are also my faves! Yep...I'd say you nailed it! I know what you mean about taking the photos...time consuming to say the least. Congratulations on your timely submission. Best wishes!!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a FANTASTIC wardrobe! Love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Awesome! I love how you mixed and matched all the pieces to come up with a really functional (and very attractive) wardrobe. It's a great study in how to pack for a trip with only 9 clothing items and still look sharp - great job!! Thank you so much for sharing and being such an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  24. You collections are truly inspirational.....Blue has been my go too color this summer, similar too your selection, Cobalt Blue, Royal Blue etc.... Classy... and fun... Very well done!!! Congrats on yet another expression of skill....

    ReplyDelete
  25. Lovely collection. I'd wear these!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Lovely collection. I'd wear these!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I just started sewing 1.5 years ago. When I grow up, I want to sew just like you!! Love your blog. Thanks for sharing. Hope you win!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Very, very nice wardrobe! You did the damn thing!

    I tried making S 2369 or is it 2639 and had some serious side eye going on with the instructions for the sleeves. Actually, my pattern is 1653, but it's the same thing only with multiple cups.

    Anyway, rock on girl!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Wow! What a fantastic wardrobe for work and play! They go very well together indeed. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I love the colours you chose, the pieces work really well together to create a great selection of outfits. Fabulous stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Yes! I really like the changes you made to the collection. Great job and you got a vote from me. Glad you placed in the top!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Bravo!!! Your collection is flawless! :) Anyone would be proud to own such wonderful pieces that go together so well!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I read each and every one; even if I don't have time to respond back!