Friday, April 29, 2016

April Wrap Up and May Plans

This month I sewed 2 5/8 yards
  • McCall's 7246
LOL!

It was my Fabric Mart contribution for April. I used their Kit, which I got pattern and fabric for free. I really do like the dress though! You can read about the project on their blog.


I thought for sure I was going to be able to squeeze in the Burda dress but alas...no time. My sweetheart of a daughter pleaded with me to "take in Ks dress just a little bit" at the bust. So there goes any time I would have used to work on my dress!  Soon though as that was intended to be my April Burda project.

For May, again, plans are being kept pretty light. I have a little more free time as DDs uncle (on dad's side) generously sent money to cover lots of her end-of-senior-year expenses. So she purchased outfits for some of the events she has coming up instead of having me sew some things.

I feel a disconnect right now from sewing (I know, I know...it happens) and just can't motivate myself to even make a sewing plan! (isn't that sad?!). Even looking at all of my newly acquired patterns isn't doing it for me.

So I'm going to keep it easy and say that in May I plan to sew:
*My Fabric Mart contribution

S8138 (from the latest release) in a textured olive crepe

*An outfit for graduation and/or the graduation party


For graduation I'm thinking M7167 with the solid back in crepe


For the party I'm thinking easy/relaxed flowy sundress - M7350

*My May Burda


I love this dress!!! 

*An outfit for the Beyonce concert

I scored cheap-o seats so DD and I will go. My May Burda or the FM project (over white skinny jeans) may be one in the same as the concert outfit...We shall see!

We had a little prom dress mishap but I have a recovery plan. Here's a (dark and tiny!) sneak peek


There'll be an overlay with the illusion attached to a belt from the satin. So I have to make the overlay (won't take long, no hemming of the illusion is required - yay!), fix the back (I'm going to change the illusion to match the 'v' of the lace), hem the illusion neckline and sleeves and DONE!

That's totally a lot! Prom is a week from Saturday. This has to be done, for my sanity, before I go to bed on Sunday.

27 comments:

  1. I really like the Simplicity 8138 pattern, but can't find it on their webpage. You mentioned it was a new release, but it's not pulling up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Because Simplicity is the absolute worst. I don't even visit their site anymore. The new patterns are up on Pattern Review.

      Delete
    2. Agree, I do hate their webpage. Just one example: I try to filter out all the other brands except Simplicity (when there's a pattern sale, for example) and I still get New Look & other patterns.

      Delete
    3. For real. The redesign is nice, but functionally it is a major disappointment.

      Delete
  2. You have a lot of things happening, but I know you will rock it out! I'm am totally digging your DD's "sneak peak" of her prom dress, looks so professional! Enjoy the Beyonce concert, I saw her last year or was it the year before last in Houston? She put on a great show! I wish she was coming here to Hawaii, as I would totally go see her again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Candice! I think I've seen her like 4 times now. She puts on a great show!

      Delete
  3. I feel ya on the lack of sewing motivation! I managed to make a quick shirtdress (buttonless, collar stand only, pullover) so hopefully that'll get me going again. The prom dress is looking good, and love the McCalls dress!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just found your blog a week ago and you have really inspired me to start sewing for myself!! I have two daughters (12 & 9) that are outgrowing "handmade" (my older DD more than the younger) so I'm thinking it's time for some selfish sewing :) The prom dress looks fantastic! can't wait to see the finished product!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, nice to hear Amanda! I hope you enjoy sewing as much as I do!

      Delete
  5. The prom dress is looking good - and you have been so busy recently, it's no wonder you have low motivation to sew - some recharge time needed perhaps, so simple sewing sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sarah Liz! Definitely need some down time!!

      Delete
  6. That dress is really pretty on you. More dark colors and dresses!

    Could your disconnect be due to overeplanning? Sometimes its fun to just get swept up in a creative moment, no plan, spontaneous, so what if it knocks others out of the queue? It will inspire and re energize you. I say, go shopping, fall in love with a new fabric, buy a new pattern and let it rip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bunny!!

      Oh, it's probably just due to life. There's a lot going on currently.

      Delete
  7. My sewjo is currently on vacation so I totally understand how you feel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so hard! I want to sew, sew, SEW!

      Delete
  8. The prom dress is coming along nicely!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the prom dress sneak peek! It looks superbly done! I know your daughter will look fabulous in the final product. I like your May sewing plans, and definitely understand your the waning sewjo. I'm sure it has to do with all the work you are doing on your daughter's dress. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vanessa!! I just finished it last night and she loves it!

      Delete
  10. Hey there, nice dress! Question for you, did you post about a pattern that includes sewing the pockets in such a way that they act to firm/ flatten at the front belly? If it was on your blog could you point me to the post?

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!

      Hmmm. I am not sure. I know that Vogue 9132 has the pockets that extend all the way to the front zipper but I don't know that there's anythign specific that I mentioned here.

      Delete
  11. This is a very pretty dress and I love the length.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Prom dress reveal more important than other activities in my own home. And am loving the sneak peeks.
    Yeah yeah, I read Mrs Mole, but this is your daughter and her prom dress and I don't have a daughter with a prom dress so I'm living vicariously here. I am sure that it will be lovely, age appropriate and will have exciting plot twists and turns.
    And it will be done in time. Hems - no one looks at hems. Wondertape is...wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahaha!!!! You are so right! When I first started I was hemming and hawing over seam finishing. Pfft! It's a dress for a 17 year old that will be worn once! Matching serger thread for the win!!!! :-D

      It is so pretty and so much more princess like than I would have ever thought she would want, but she loves it and so do I! Photos will be up on the blog on Sunday!!!!

      Delete
  13. Love the dress for your FM post. There is nothing wrong with taking a small sewing break, or slowing down for a bit. You will come back refreshed and ready to go!! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I read each and every one; even if I don't have time to respond back!