Sunday, April 10, 2016

Butterick 5760 (again!!)

The first time I made this skirt, I decided it was a TNT. I really love this skirt on me! This may be my 5th?? I don't remember :)

I generally keep my fabric purchases to around $10/yd or less, and I had my eye on this boucle but $25/yd was a bit steep for me. When it went 50% off, I jumped on it!

I bought 1 yard, knowing I'd use it for a skirt. I was going to use it for a Burda that I wanted to make but decided I'd better go TNT with it. I just love the wide waistband (they call it a yoke) on this skirt, the length and you just can't go wrong with a straight skirt.

I made no changes to the flat pattern - as per usual I used a size 16 for the front and 18 for the back, and I shortened the front length 3/4" (between the waist to where the crotch would be). However, on previous versions, I had to take in the side seams quite a bit. Not so with this boucle (and lining).  I used my Wonder clips to baste the side seams and was surprised to find I needed to sew the side seams at 3/8" (vs 5/8' or 3/4" on prior versions). I used an acetate lining fabric in navy. Lastly, I hemmed at 1 1/4" instead of the 2" included in the pattern. I wanted it to hit *right* at my knee.


I really like it with the blue top and nude shoes! I thought the blue would be too match-matchy but I love it. On the right I paired it with the other NY and Co. top that I bought last month - it's a lightweight sweater with a tie neck. It has a little puff sleeve too which I think is cute. Not sure I'd pair those shoes with it but my shoes are half unpacked and they were available :) 


I mean, I just love this skirt pattern!!! I used an invisible zipper and kept the original slit in the pattern. I briefly considered trying to turn it into a vent but I think my brain wasn't operating at peak during that time :-p I'd found a tutorial for lining a skirt with slit and tried to follow along but nope. That didn't go so well either. 


I sewed the facing to the lining and allowed the lining to hang free except for at the slit. I hand sewed the lining to the skirt at the center seam, and then slipstitched the lining to the skirt at the slit. The lining is also slipstitched by hand at the zipper.

So, while there's nothing too exciting about a straight skirt in navy, I think this will be an amazingly versatile work skirt this spring and summer.

(This skirt was finished almost a month ago - NOT during the move! LOL!)

*********

My move went okay! I was pretty much exhausted for days and days. I couldn't muster up any energy to get the sewing cave together. I focused first on the main rooms: kitchen and bathroom and then the living room. The dining room is currently a repository. LOL!

I am sitting in my living room right now and I just adore it. It's so tiny but so cozy!! I have a couple other things I want to purchase--a coffee table and tv stand--and a 2nd chair to match the first.


I love this corner the most <3


On Friday evening I was home alone and finally mustered up a little energy to try to get the cave set up, and I did a little more work on the prom dress.

Maybe by summer my sewing room will be fully functioning! LOL!



I need more lights, even though the overhead lighting over the machines isn't too bad, it's nonexistent over the cutting area. My fabric is in a room down the hall. I'm still unsure about final placement of everything, but I have to get the darn dress finished!

*******
Lastly, I am so annoyed at Bloglovin's attempt to make their site another social media-esque site. I just want to read blogs :/ I don't want to be advertised to or see what other's are saving or liking or whatever. UGH.

38 comments:

  1. That is a gorgeous skirt! I love the fabric, and you are right- it is killer with those nude shoes! Congrats on getting moved, and enjoy your new place!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The skirt looks great: very classy. But largely I wanted to say I totally felt the same way about bloglovin but have now stopped reading my feed online and only use the app which only shows what I actually follow as opposed to what everyone else is saving etc. Much better. But yep I hated the idea at first and even wrote to them to say so.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Manju! And great tip about using the app!

      Delete
  3. Beautiful skirt! Congrats on surviving the move, it's such a draining experience. And ditto to the bloglovin' annoyance. I did find that if I sort my feed oldest to newest, the posts people saved don't show up, just a few ads.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous skirt and love your living room.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it! It's a perfect fit on you and so flattering. And I am totally with you on Bloglovin'. Half my feed is ads for fashion blogs. So annoying.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Keep making this tried and true skirt. It's awesome on you and just perfect. Glad you are getting settled. Moving is so difficult,even under the best of circumstances.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bunny! I am always on the lookout for a great fabric that can become this skirt! :)

      Delete
  7. I found that on bloglovin if I click "blog feed" instead of "my feed" I just see the blogs I want, and not everything others have saved etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Maggie! Yeah, I think I just got overly annoyed that the default is from a social media perspective.

      Delete
  8. Beautiful skirt! Great fabric, fit and I agree, it looks great with those nude shoes! You do excellent work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much!!

      I love my shoe collection! :)

      Delete
  9. Gorgeous skirt and love your living room.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The fabric is gorgeous! I'm glad you got it. It's so prefect for this pattern. Your living room looks really lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It was very nice fabric to work with too!

      Delete
  11. Cute skirt. I'm amazed you have the energy to make a skirt amidst your move.

    I use the free version of feedly and like it much better than bloglovin. Have you tried it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And, the skirt was made long before packing even started. Just didn't have time to blog it.

      I tried Feedly when Google reader first went kaput. Maybe I should revisit it.

      Delete
  12. sitting room and sewing room looking good. I'm so with you on that comment about Bloglovin. First instagram goes all facebooky and now bloglovin is doing it! At least you can still click on 'blog feed' and narrow it back down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks colesworth!

      I know...but it's annoying having to do that extra step :/

      Delete
  13. Skirt looks great, love the use of the boucle. We just moved as well and like you my sewing space needs some work but its happening in small spurts since so much of the rest of the house needs attention first. Good luck with it all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Elizabeth! Good luck with your move too!

      Delete
  14. Your skirt came out amazing, and looks wonderful on you!! I can tell why you love it so much, and have made a lot!! Congrats on your move! I hope you begin to settle in with time.

    ReplyDelete
  15. The skirt is gorgeous, lovely fabric. I have that pattern, but I haven't tried the skirt yet. Nice to see that your move went well and that things are getting put in place. It looks great. Now, my mind is boggled at how you managed to get some sewing done in the middle of a move!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh absolutely NOT. I made this skirt sometime last month and never had time to get photos and blog it.

      Thanks!!! I want to try the cardigan from this one; seems like lots of people had success with it.

      Delete
  16. The skirt is beautiful! I really like it with the cream top. That outfit is fit for so many different settings.

    ReplyDelete
  17. BEAUTIFUL skirt! Wow, that fabric and your finishes are so terrific!!!! I am with you on bloglovin....I just about am ready to delete it! :) Enjoy your new sewing space!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your skirt is gorgeous and fits you beautifully. I love it with the nude shoes and sweater with tie. I agree with you about Bloglovin...so annoying.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I've been considering that same blue bouclé fabric, but held off because anything not $4 at Fabric Mart feels wildly expensive. Thank you for showing the fabric in action: that convinced me. Just purchased a few yards at 50% too.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love the skirt. Love your new place.
    Totally agree about Bloglovin'. So much so I wrote an email to them complaining about it. They were less than helpful. I've moved to Feedly!

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is a beautiful start! I totally understand when you have a great pattern that's quick to make, easy to make, and looks this beautiful! Congratulations on your move and so happy you're finally getting settled in! BTW...your light colored top above (the NY & Co one), looks very similar to Patternreview's "Linda top". Actually, I thought that's what it was until I read your post! See your work is so good it's hard to tell the RTW from your handmade items!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Ooh, that skirt is excellent! That fabric is perfect for it too.

    Ugh - totally agree about Bloglovin'. I also feel like it's been swallowing posts, although I have no way to really verify this.

    ReplyDelete
  23. you took the words out of my mouth about bloglovin's new update. I was like wtf is all this? I just want to read my blogs!!

    The skirt is wonderful and I can see why it's a tnt for you. Hey, it's ok to splurge on fabric if it's for a TNT!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I read each and every one; even if I don't have time to respond back!