Saturday, July 23, 2016

Ooh...Shiny!

There was a recent post on Pattern Review where Deepika asked about sewing patterns (har, har) and the seasons. I hadn't really given it a ton of thought before but summer sewing is not high on my radar. I mean, I sew during the summer - of course - but summer is just in the way of fall! :)

I love fall. It has always been my favorite season. I love the cool-to-warm temps (NOT HOT!). I love the smell in the air, the leaves...and I love fall fashion! I am downright gleeful when I can pull my boots out of their hiding places!

As August appears on the horizon, I start thinking about what I want to sew for fall. There's always a mix of 1) what I need (I think I need more fall dresses and jackets) 2) fabrics I want to sew (we all know how inspiring a particular piece can be 3) and patterns I want to sew. This may or not may mimic #1! Sometimes, you just want to sew a pattern, in a fabric, and maybe it isn't a thing that you really "need" at all.

I posted this pic on Instagram after rifling through the stash a bit. Full planning post to come!


In the meantime, there are a few more summer patterns that I "need" to get done. I recently finished up my July Fabric Mart project and knew I had to make another one in a print!



You can read all about this piiiiink linen version of Burda 6732 HERE on the Fabric Mart Blog.

So I ended up ordering some fabric during the FM P-Z sale and have a fun printed challis on the way to me for round 2.



But what to sew NOWWWW?

I wanted to make M7391 in chambray but got all scared of the eyelets. But I've been assured (sewing friends are the best!) that I can do it. So that's on the agenda.


I don't have a ton of fabric so it'll likely be view D shortened to tunic length (length of B/C)

In the meantime, after scaring myself off of the eyelets, I decided I'd make M7388 out of a lovely print rayon challis. But, it's lined! Wahhh! I did not have anything appropriate for the lining so that got put away.
Then I saw a version of Burda 07/2016 #117 on PR without the crazy wrap-around neckstrap and went straight home, traced, cut, and starting sewing the pattern! haha!



Progress as of this morning:



Lastly, I've been wanting to sew this Style Arc Susan skirt since I ran to purchase it last July.

Do you have whiplash yet!? This happens to me sometimes. Especially considering I went a couple of weeks without sewing at all.



I'm sure this is intended for 'swishier' knits but I just couldn't shake the idea of using this floral (lightweight) double knit for the pattern. And I figured, it would just give it a little more body...what's wrong with that?? So I crossed my fingers and charged ahead!

This fabric is, of course, from Fabric Mart. It has some really beautiful shades of blue and purple that I rarely incorporate into my wardrobe. Plus, I decided I couldn't go another moment without a floral skirt :)

I used a size 14 (typically 12 up top, 14 skirts, 16 pants. Which explains why I am always "afraid" of trying a SA dress. Soon) and sewed the side seams at 1/4" instead of 3/8". I used 1/2" elastic (just turned and stitched a casing).

I constructed this completely on the serger, it's SO SWINGY! But it comes like 6" past my knees. I don't understand why it's so long :(


I'm going to have to measure very carefully and "connect all the dots" to trim this down. I tried it on with high wedge sandals and it still looked kind of blah. I can't say that I normally choose midi-length...

I do love this fabric as a skirt though so I'm going to try to make it work! 


I think I'm leaning towards option #3 for the WGD! It's so flirty and fun while still being totally appropriate for a wedding! It's intended for knits so unless I completely bomb out on finding fabric that I love...that's the plan! But I also *love* option #6. If I can find a complimentary lace/eyelet and other fashion fabric?? Which seems like a BIG if...That may win out. 

23 comments:

  1. The M7388 top can be made unlined but you've moved on already! *LOL* Like the fabric for the dress, cut the skirt off carefully and shew do you have a lot going on sewing-wise!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) I like the idea of it being lined but just didn't have anything appropriate to line it with. I'll revisit it soon!

      I took my time and marked the skirt 4.5" all around. And the sides are too short. Sigh. If I even out the front and back it'll no longer be work appropriate. We shall see!

      Delete
  2. Your pink dress is sooo cute! Perfect color, great pattern for summer. Your burda dress is coming along so well. I love the fabric you used. I totally feel the same about fall - absolutely my favorite season! I look forward to seeing what you'll make.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh, that pink linen dress is the perfect colour for you. It looks comfortable too. I 100% agree with you on fall, it's the most beautiful season.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Graca! I was so unsure about the color at first!

      Delete
  4. Love fall too.. Just a perfect season.
    Love your pink dress and the other dress is coming along nicely..
    happy sewing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your version of the Burda dress AND pink linen?! Uhm...Yes. I love the length too! Perhaps I'll order pink linen fabric from Fabricmart and copy you!!! ������

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I've stalked yours a bunch of times! I can't wait to make my printed version!!

      Delete
  6. I too love Fall, too bad it starts about January here in Florida! I love your fabric selections, can't wait to see your sew ups!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the pink dress - gorgeous! I love fall too. It is like a cool drink of water after a scorching hot day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tomasa! Yes....goodbye heat and humidity!

      Delete
  8. The pink linen dress is so nice!!! I can see why you want to make another one in a different print. Btw, how do you choose your prints when you order online? I am so bad at that. Maybe I just need to take more risks, lol! I look forward to seeing your planning post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vanessa!

      Oh I've had some fails! I guess I just take my chances! :)

      Delete
  9. Mrs Smith, I am in a mind to copy that pink dress - I have the pattern, now I need the fabric! Or something equally nice. I think I prefer you in shorter skirts too, but don't chop yet - longer lengths are coming in, it might just take a while to adjust to it - and with fall coming, it might look good over black tights. Just thoughts. If after playing with ideas you don't like it, chop it shorter.

    ReplyDelete
  10. PS - but before you chop shorter, make sure you don't lose the flare...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well it's REALLY flared. So it still flares out nicely, but somehow I ended up with short sides when I measured it very carefully. Drats.

      Delete
  11. So much pretty here! I'll wait to see how yours turns out before I dive in with any of these patterns--I've found myself scoping out your reviews quite a bit lately to see if something will work for me, LOL!

    In our portion of the high plains, there's a good chance we won't see Fall at all, but after this killer summer, we'd better get a nice one!! If you don't sew for summer though, what do you wear to get you through? We've been battling 100+ temps for over a week now, and even I'm starting to dream of winter...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So ready for cooler temps! :)

      Well I *do* sew in summer; just not a lot. And I don't plan whole summer wardrobes.

      I work 40 hours a week in an office. And it's freezing. So still end up wearing cardigans and light jackets and pants year round.

      Delete
  12. I'm with you - fall is my favorite season. Unfortunately I live in Houston where we don't even begin to see cool (not cold) temps until the end of October. Love your bright, cheery pink dress.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That pink dress looks so pretty on you. It makes you glow!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I read each and every one; even if I don't have time to respond back!