I cut this out Friday night and finished it up this afternoon. At around 4.5 hours, I consider this a pretty quick make!
I didn't feel like making a muslin and decided to use a size 14 neckline and shoulders and a 16 everywhere else (I will give myself more hip room next time). I used a magenta poly crepe from Fabric Mart (still here) which handled fairly well. I used a size 10 needle and slightly contrasting thread.
See? I think more space across the back will stop it from hanging up on my butt. However, this will NOT stop me from wearing this top!
Usually with narrow hems I serge the edge and use that 1/4" line as a guide. I didn't feel like messing around with tension (to prevent stretching things out), so I just stitched a scant 5/8" line and then folded on the line, and then turned the raw edge in to the fold. Not too bad.
I serged the side seams (there were too bulky for French seams), used French binding for the armhole opening (as per the pattern), and slip-stitched the yoke facing (as per the pattern).
Yes. I followed the directions.
If you make this, you should just follow the directions. So yeah, If you're not super experienced...just follow the directions...
They have you narrow hem the front and a portion of the lower front. Then sew the side seams and apply the French binding (I love this by the way). Then you sew the yoke and yoke facing together at the neckline and armholes. You sew the yoke to the front and back and then slip stitch by hand.
I was all "I'm not doing all that hand sewing!" but I am SOOOOO glad I did! It really looks great!
The color in the last pic is most true. I cannot wait to wear my new top! I'll likely make the sleeved version at some point and would like to make the other view too but would muslin that. I wouldn't want that front portion to turn into maternity wear.
Now to start on my bright cottons and rayons! :)