Monday, December 8, 2014

Quilt Progress

I have two finished items to show. Did I take photos this weekend? nope.

Saturday I was making the quilt and my hair looked like whodunnit and why and I did my hair on Sunday but was dealing with (and still am) some major sinus pain (Pleeeeeease don't let it be a sinus infection!).

So photos to come. Soon. Some day... I also started M6884, the mock-wrap dress. When I was cutting out the pattern pieces I was all "O_o that is some serious curvature!" Right now it's on Lily and I walk by it, dubiously looking at it's fitted-ness. We shall see.

The jelly roll race quilt is my kind of quilt. Easy. Peasy. I don't think I'd be good at piecing a bunch of small sections together for blocks. I'd probably make like 3 blocks and get bored.

DD likes the jelly roll race quilt (she doesn't care, she just wants a quilt!) so I'll end up collecting blues and greens to make one for her. One thing I DO know, hers will go right to a quilting shop for the quilting and binding. I've already checked and for a full-sized quilt it will run me about $100 to get it quilted (in a meandering pattern) and another $40 or so for binding. It'll be worth every penny.


I had 1/4 yard of 6 different fabrics so I got three 2.5" strips from each cut.

It took about 30 minutes to true the fabric cuts (which were pretty atrocious), trim the selvedges and cut the strips. 
(BUY A NEW ROTARY BLADE FOR THIS!!!)

It took about 90 minutes to do the stitching to get to the point above. 




It took about 2 more hours to lay out the backing, batting and top and pin them together, and to make the bias tape.


I could get this small sized blanket quilted for about $20 (and do the binding myself), but my hobby budget is SO shot for the rest of the year so I decided to do straight lines.

I wish I would have researched a little more because I would have done something more interesting with farther spacing. I did all that on the right and then realized I was maybe 1/4 of the way through and instantly got sad.

I'm going to see if I can introduce a pattern without it looking to crazy. I have not done any stitching yet in the other direction so maybe that'll help too.

At this point, I am NOT bitten by the quilting bug. I do think that the JRR quilt in a baby size makes a really great gift for someone special. With buying the fabric on sale at Hancock (top, batting, backing, fabric for bias tape), I think I spent around $20. Not too bad. 

I have to finish this by 12/17 so I figured I have to finish the quilting during the week this week and get the binding done over the weekend!!