Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Vogue 8805; the "It's About Time!" Dress

You know V8805...The cute little easy, breezy dress that like, nearly everyone else has sewn??


I'm sure you've seen some gorgeous combinations of fantastic pontes and linens and so on...My mind does not colorblock. I see it. I love it. I tried it and had a massive fail.

I needed a quick and easy project after the more involved dress and the dreaded culottes. I decided that in the right color scheme, this would be a great work-appropriate dress to add to my wardrobe. I don't have many of those and anticipate wearing LOTS of dresses this summer in my new role (which hopefully will come soon; ONE MORE interview on Tuesday with the company president!). It IS above the knee, BUT I think the fit allows it to still be good for work.

See that lady? I like her dress, a lot. But thought the chartreuse might be a bit much. So I went with a remnant from my cobalt V1411 pants - yay me! I have loads and loads of Maggy London black ponte and had a remnant in that taupe-y color from my NL lace/nude dress.


I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!


Based on the intended fit (meaning, it's not body hugging; it's meant to skim), and the finished measurements, I cut a size 16, C cup.

Wait...I actually traced the pattern. YAY ME!

Once I saw the colors together I was so excited to get this one sewn up! I shortened the middle section 1" based on some reviews that I'd read awhile back.  I hemmed it 3/4" (serged and turned up) instead of the narrow hem suggested.

After basting the side seams, I took in the waist about 3/8" (so 1.5" total). I nipped it from right below the bust dart to just above the high hip. I didn't want it to be snug anywhere. There *is* a bit of a puff of fabric at the middle back but it's not terrible.

I had black thread in both my machine and serger. I sewed all of the connecting seams with black thread, pressing the seams open (they are left unfinished). Then I did the black topstitching. I switched to blue and did that topstitching. Then, I switched to tan, did the back slit, sewed the shoulder seams and did the tan topstitching. It all went really quickly this way.

I used a hook and eye as a closure. Because of the thickness of the ponte and because I didn't feel like making bias tape, I used a 1.5" wide strip of ponte, very, VERY slightly stretching it in place (flat). I then trimmed, pressed and topstitched at 3/8". I may go in and trim all of the seam allowances that were left unfinished, but honestly, it doesn't bother me. The seams that were finished (the side seams) and the hems, were serged in black.

If you're anal about that sort of thing, look away! LOL!


I had low expectations when I first decided to sew this dress. Well, it worked! :)

The outtake:

That remote is always out to get me.

39 comments:

  1. Gosh!! A massive fail!! Looks quite good to me but maybe you are seeing something in person that is not so obvious looking at the pics.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your color choices & you did such a great job on fitting this dress.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the color combination - looks great on you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just perfect.. I really like it..
    sending prayers for your next interview with the president of the company.. May you get the job, and enjoy it..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great dress! And definitely work-appropriate.

    ReplyDelete
  6. fantastic! hmmm, another one for the list the next time a sale comes around. Best of luck with the interview.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your dress is beautiful! It looks great on you. Love the colors you chose. As to massive fail, are you referring to a previous color blocking experience because this dress is gorgeous. Good luck with the interview.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's a massive *WIN* with this one! Great dress - innards and all.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great colour combination - it always feels really good to have a quick win after a more involved project.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fantastic dress! You look gorgeous and totally work appropriate. :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ideal for work nice project☺

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love this so much, it fits you so nicely, too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Total win!!! I have solid color issues- I have trouble deciding how to do it. You inspire me!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love this! It looks so great on you and the colour blocking is so gorgeous! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Fab! And I like the black serging- it's rather chic. Just like you 😃. Best of luck with the job.

    ReplyDelete
  16. It looks so good on you ! Great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. ...and you did an AWESOME job too! I love the colors you chose...bet you'll get a TON of wear out of this dress for sure!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Really, really pretty! I can think of so many combinations. That is very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh my gosh, you look so great in that dress! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  20. #winning #youarehired
    You knocked this one out of the park. The fit, the colors, the style is all y.o.u
    Great job and thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  21. love it! the colors work well together!

    Helen

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love this! The color combo is perfection! I am one of the few that have not tried this pattern yet. I really want to but my work is super casual.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love ,love this dress and your choice of colours too. It looks comfy and sophisticated and I imagine perfect for work !

    ReplyDelete
  24. oooh I love those colors together! Great dress!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I will think about perhaps possibly considering to try this pattern again. Maybe. I love love love the way yours came out!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Looking good. I keep meaning to sew this but never get around to it.
    I am terrible.
    You go girl.

    ReplyDelete
  27. This is a great silhouette for you!

    ReplyDelete
  28. This is such a fantastic dress. The colors are perfect for you, and I think the above-the-knee length suits you well!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I read each and every one; even if I don't have time to respond back!