Monday, June 29, 2015

June Wrap Up and MidYear Check-In

Can you even believe that we are halfway through 2015? I mean, for serious! Half the year is gone!!!!!

June has been interesting, I got in a bunch of sewing and then started work and then bam. Complete sewing stall. I needed a mojo-boost so I cut the recent S1063 and started that. And then DD let me know that she needs a new swimsuit, so that's in progress as well. Those are reflected in the totals but reviews will be coming soon.

This month I sewed 15.75 yards:


  • McCall's 6802 cardigan in grey sweater knit - 2 yards (for my daughter)
  • Butterick 6204 dress in black cotton twill - 2.5 yards
  • Burda June 2015 culottes in plum RPL - 1.5 yards wadder
  • Vogue 8805 dress in ponte - 1.75 yards
  • Vogue 9032 pants in rayon blend suiting - 2.5 yards
  • Butterick 6183 top in polkadot cotton poplin - 1.5 yards
  • Butterick 5760 skirt in a tweed-y suiting - 1 yard (WIP)
  • RTW knockoff in black jersey - 1.5 yards
  • McCall's 6519 in sweater knit - 1 yard (WIP)
  • McCall's 6759
Favorite: My V8805 dress! The in progress skirt could have been but that Vogue dress just turned out so well! I wore it this past week and felt amazing in it!

FAILS: Obviously the horror that was the culottes. 

Accomplishments: Color blocking!!! This may seem like a 'huh?' to some but I do not have the mind for it and felt so proud of myself for pulling it off!


Back in January I posted 10 "goals" for 2015...let's check in.

1) Buy a new sewing machine

I got a new machine! yay! It's been 3 months since I've had it...I will write a review soon. There are some features I still need to test out.

2) New techniques

I was mainly thinking welt pockets; which I still haven't done. But I did make bound buttonholes which is just as scary! 

3) Using my Burda mags

I made garments for Jan and Feb and June. There is a jacket from May on the to-do list and a couple dresses from June. I'm trying. I'm unsure if I'm going to renew my subscription for 2016.

4) Patterns

At the time I posted, I had 453. I now have 442. I got up to 503 and then culled 62 patterns from the stash. I will aim not to go over 500 again.

5) Fabric

Yeah...Uhmm....

I think that my stashing philosophy will change just a little bit. My new job will be much more demanding once the retiree leaves and I think my sewing will lessen a bit. I think I will probably stash basics (like ponte. I love, love, love rayon blend ponte) and neutral suiting when I see a deal. But I will switch a little bit to buying specifically for special projects. I really wanted a flowy summer skirt but of all the fabric I have (and it's a lot), I couldn't find anything in stash that would work).

6) Budget

Nope. 

Because I stress-buy, I've busted the budget a few times. 

7) Personal Goal

I lose a little (a little!), I stall, I get annoyed. Wah.

8) Documentation

I like the 110 Creations book a lot and the idea of recording but I just don't enjoy sketching. Not my jam.

9) Jeans

yep! I've made two pair and want to find a grey denim to make a 3rd pair.

10) Progression

I sew fast. I am accepting that. For example, when I made the suit, I made a muslin and sewed bias tape everywhere and still...I made a jacket, skirt and pants in like 4 days and I was NOT sewing every minute :) 

Now that I think a little more, I guess I wasn't adding much dress/skirt appropriate fabric because I couldn't wear them! I have a few dresses and skirts in mind that may take a little more time to work up. 

I am so excited for fall sewing with this new job!!!!



8 comments:

  1. I understand the Burda mag goal - I have a bunch of them, but haven't made anything. I ended up not renewing this summer, seemed like a lot of money to have magazines sit on the shelf.

    Looking forward to hearing about the new sewing machine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. fall sewing - darn I am just getting into summer sewing - did I miss something ha ha

    nice recap and you motivate me to do more sewing

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG I can't believe we are halfway through the year!! When I saw your post I thought "is it really the end of June?" lol. zoomed by. I have the same problem with my Burda's. I love looking at them and picking things out but haven't had time to make much from them. I need to make that a priority.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow... the amount of sewing you did in June I do in a year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so impressed with the amount of sewing you have achieved by the half year mark. Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  6. All that nervous energy was put to great use. Be interesting to see what direction your sewing takes now, with the demands of the new job.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gosh I feel so inadequate when I read your monthly wrap ups, I don't think I've sewn that much all year! You picked an unfortunate year to work on Burda mags, in my opinion 2015 has been terrible so don't feel bad about not using them this year.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hah. My Burda challenge lasted all of two months. I tried (really I did) to pick it back up, but the trench skirt and trench coat did me in. Methinks the trench gods have it in for me.

    Looking forward to seeing the next six months of your sewing adventures. =)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I read each and every one; even if I don't have time to respond back!