Monday, June 29, 2015

June Wrap Up and MidYear Check-In

Can you even believe that we are halfway through 2015? I mean, for serious! Half the year is gone!!!!!

June has been interesting, I got in a bunch of sewing and then started work and then bam. Complete sewing stall. I needed a mojo-boost so I cut the recent S1063 and started that. And then DD let me know that she needs a new swimsuit, so that's in progress as well. Those are reflected in the totals but reviews will be coming soon.

This month I sewed 15.75 yards:


  • McCall's 6802 cardigan in grey sweater knit - 2 yards (for my daughter)
  • Butterick 6204 dress in black cotton twill - 2.5 yards
  • Burda June 2015 culottes in plum RPL - 1.5 yards wadder
  • Vogue 8805 dress in ponte - 1.75 yards
  • Vogue 9032 pants in rayon blend suiting - 2.5 yards
  • Butterick 6183 top in polkadot cotton poplin - 1.5 yards
  • Butterick 5760 skirt in a tweed-y suiting - 1 yard (WIP)
  • RTW knockoff in black jersey - 1.5 yards
  • McCall's 6519 in sweater knit - 1 yard (WIP)
  • McCall's 6759
Favorite: My V8805 dress! The in progress skirt could have been but that Vogue dress just turned out so well! I wore it this past week and felt amazing in it!

FAILS: Obviously the horror that was the culottes. 

Accomplishments: Color blocking!!! This may seem like a 'huh?' to some but I do not have the mind for it and felt so proud of myself for pulling it off!


Back in January I posted 10 "goals" for 2015...let's check in.

1) Buy a new sewing machine

I got a new machine! yay! It's been 3 months since I've had it...I will write a review soon. There are some features I still need to test out.

2) New techniques

I was mainly thinking welt pockets; which I still haven't done. But I did make bound buttonholes which is just as scary! 

3) Using my Burda mags

I made garments for Jan and Feb and June. There is a jacket from May on the to-do list and a couple dresses from June. I'm trying. I'm unsure if I'm going to renew my subscription for 2016.

4) Patterns

At the time I posted, I had 453. I now have 442. I got up to 503 and then culled 62 patterns from the stash. I will aim not to go over 500 again.

5) Fabric

Yeah...Uhmm....

I think that my stashing philosophy will change just a little bit. My new job will be much more demanding once the retiree leaves and I think my sewing will lessen a bit. I think I will probably stash basics (like ponte. I love, love, love rayon blend ponte) and neutral suiting when I see a deal. But I will switch a little bit to buying specifically for special projects. I really wanted a flowy summer skirt but of all the fabric I have (and it's a lot), I couldn't find anything in stash that would work).

6) Budget

Nope. 

Because I stress-buy, I've busted the budget a few times. 

7) Personal Goal

I lose a little (a little!), I stall, I get annoyed. Wah.

8) Documentation

I like the 110 Creations book a lot and the idea of recording but I just don't enjoy sketching. Not my jam.

9) Jeans

yep! I've made two pair and want to find a grey denim to make a 3rd pair.

10) Progression

I sew fast. I am accepting that. For example, when I made the suit, I made a muslin and sewed bias tape everywhere and still...I made a jacket, skirt and pants in like 4 days and I was NOT sewing every minute :) 

Now that I think a little more, I guess I wasn't adding much dress/skirt appropriate fabric because I couldn't wear them! I have a few dresses and skirts in mind that may take a little more time to work up. 

I am so excited for fall sewing with this new job!!!!