Monday, July 6, 2015

The Big 3-6!

 I told my husband I don't feel 36 ... and he says "hot people always say things like that". He's such a smart dude.

I had several family members in town for the 4th so the weekend was full of excitement, and we will go for ice cream tonight. YAY!

I took this photos yesterday but this is how I'm rocking my new dress for work today so... :)




Since I'll be working on my birthday and am still pretty wiped by the end of the workday, I decided I shall have a new dress and delicious donuts

About a month ago I was going through old pictures and in one I had on a shirtdress which looking at it now, I realized that it was a knit. I decided that I had.to.have.one!!! I have a few shirtdress patterns (the famous M6696 that didn't yield a promising muslin for me), plus a few more.

I chose the Lisette Traveler because of the easy style. It only has bust darts and has a slight A-line. I didn't want to be doing a whole bunch of darts and stuff in jersey.

I chose this fabric because:

1) I love it!
2) I have several yards of it
3) It does roll a little but not too badly. It is really easy to sew and presses well.

Of course, it came from Fabric Mart :) And I only paid $2.10 per yard for it!

This pattern is made for wovens so I figured I would be good using the size 14 and making some adjustments. The pattern has bust measurements but no others. I did flat pattern measurements to figure out how much hip room I needed because let's face it, knit or not my behind is not fitting into a size 14!

I'm so smart that I recorded it right on the envelope!

I decided I needed AT least 2" additional inches on the hip. I couldn't figure out the adjustment as it is one piece (no waist seam). 

I had to cut the pattern piece apart to make it click. SHEESH!! When I tweaked my B5760 TNT skirt, I found happiness in a 16 front and 18 back. So I left the front as is on this one, adding only to the back.


I did a slash and spread, using the same method as FFRP uses for adding bicep width,  adding 1" to the hip area (~9" from the waistline)


And then I taped the bodice back on it! :) Hey, it worked!


I added 1/2" to the bicep which was perfect! It's a loose sleeve so I wanted it to just graze.


Plus a 1/2" narrow shoulder adjustment

WHEW! NOW WE CAN FINALLY SEW!!!

Sewing darts in this fabric was no problem. Anticipating all heck breaking loose with the bands and collar, I interfaced BOTH the main piece and the facing for each and made my life easier. For the bands, I cut a rectangle slightly larger and "block fused" the pieces, then cut the bands out from the interfaced fabric.

The collar has an integrated stand and collar which per reviews, a lot of people didn't care for, I liked it for this casual pattern! And my collar is nice and crisp with the dual interfacing.



As you can see, I used snaps instead of buttons. With my husband's new set up in the garage, this went much better than the last time I used snaps on my Vogue shirt. I don't find setting snaps "hard" at all, but people tend to tout them as a more convenient closure over buttons but I don't know about all that...Thankfully, I only had to reset one, the rest went in very well.


The sleeves are loose fitting. I wanted the turned up look without showing the wrong side of the fabric or the serging. I turned up a 3" hem, stitched it in place and then folded to the outside ~1.5".

Just before taking pics, I added non-functioning sleeve tabs. I like them and feel they were needed.


Instead of basting, I just serged 1/4" side seams and planned on tweaking them...uhmmm yeah... further fitting was not necessary!!

Want to scroll back up? LOL! I don't even want to know the adjustments I'd need to make for this to work in a woven. Soooooo maybe this will be my TNT knit shirtdress pattern? :)

I sewed a 5/8" narrow hem and actually hand stitched the collar facing. Again, jersey+fiddly details = No thank you.


I feel AMAZING in this dress!!! I am excited for what age 36 has in store for me!

63 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday and awesome shirtdress!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday and awesome shirtdress!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happiest of birthdays to you! <3 And that dress looks AMAZING on you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the idea of a knit shirtdress! This looks amazing on you. Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy birthday !

    Excellent dress too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy, Happy Birthday. Lovely dress and i do like the colours in the print. You look fab!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Birthday! Love your new dress, and what a great idea to use a knit fabric. I have this pattern and you have just inspired me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I think it worked out great and hope more people sew up a jersey shirtdress! Ultimate comfort! :)

      Delete
  8. Happy birthday and cute dress!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Birthday & you ARE rocking that dress!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Birthday! Enjoy your day and doughnuts!! Looking good in that sew cute dress!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great dress Nakisha and it is so adorbs on you! Have a wonderful birthday!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy birthday- BEST husband- great dress!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy birthday!!!!

    That's a great dress. Love the snaps!

    ReplyDelete
  14. welcome to 36!! It's not such a bad number, but I agree, I sure don't feel like 36! Love your dress, a TNT knit shirtdress, genius!! The snaps were a great call too. You should invest in the Prym snap pliers from wawak. So worth it. They actually work and don't hurt my hands! They call it a "Snap Repair Kit" SRK1 I'll never go back now that I have them. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I've looked at their site before but have never been sure what to get.

      Delete
  15. Happy birthday! You look gorgeous in your new dress:)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the snaps, great idea. Hope your 1st day is good!! I'm gonna be the big 3-8 this month. Hurray for July birthday girls! And I always say "I don't feel 37". I guess I thought I supposed to be hobbling about with a walker and always complaining about grown up things like bunions and kids these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kathy!

      Yay for us ruby's! :) We totally aren't ready to wag our fists in the air!

      Delete
  17. Great birthday dress! This is an awesome version of this pattern. I've got it lurking in a box and haven't tried it yet, but this is pretty inspiring. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Noelle!

      It really was a great sew! And Lisette patterns are so well done.

      Delete
  18. Looks fantastic on you. I like that you used a knit.
    Happy birthday. 36 IS young!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Happy Birthday! Your husband is a keeper!!! Pretty dress!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow, Nakisha, you are SO young! Happy birthday - enjoy your cute new dress!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shams!

      My favorite thing to tell my dad is, "Papa...I'm getting old..." :)

      Delete
  21. Happy birthday! You look totally fab in your new dress!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Happy birthday! And the dress looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Happy Birthday! Love the dress and fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Your husband is so smart! Love the dress! Always enjoy seeing what you're making.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I just love this dress! Hope you had a fantastic birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  26. The happiest of happies to you girlie! Loving the dress too!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Happy Belated! Sounds like a great birthday, donuts, a keeper of a husband and a beautiful dress. Many happy returns!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Happy 36 th birthday.. Hope you had a really good one..You look really pretty in your new dress. Love a shirt dress..SO comfortable, in this heat..
    Have a great week..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!!! It felt great on!! Even though it's only been around 75F here :)

      Delete
  29. Happy Birthday - and I love the dress - this should see you right through the 37th year in style, along with lots of other great garments you are going to make :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. This is a classy little traveller- many happy returns of the day!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Happy Birthday although a bit late :) this is a lovely dress you made yourself and it suits you very well.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Happy birthday (keep it going all month!) and ...what brand snaps? My introduction to the rabbit hole of sewing blogs was the search for snaps! Still looking. Tell! (please)

    ReplyDelete
  33. I agree the fabric is gorgeous. You look fab in this dress.

    ReplyDelete
  34. This dress is fantastic. I love the pattern and have made three tops from it but I never thought to try it in knit ... it's on my list now.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I read each and every one; even if I don't have time to respond back!