Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Random Thoughts (in photos) and a Wee Bit of Sewing


I love this outfit. I need a slim Obi belt; stat.


I love how Erica B. handled this sleeve. 
I think I will use pleats on the sleeve of the August Burda jacket when I make it rather than gathers...


I find it hilarious that Apple Music labeled this "Ratchet Pop"


I had little ones at my house this weekend who were enamored with the sewing room


I'm totally stealing this detail from her PJ top :)


I got new shoes (again?!?! Yes!). I thought they looked a bit "old" in the box but I wore them yesterday and they were supremely comfortable.
The brand is Soft Style; purchased from DSW.



I decided to track all of my spending for July. This is awful. 
Maybe I should ignore July...


I picked apart the waistband of those slim fit pants from JC Penney.
I should have taken more photos...
I had to take in a lot, as you can see by my chalk line.

I learned something...they used 1/4" clear elastic on the seam between the waistband and facing. I like that idea. They also sewed that seam with a triple straight stitch, also interesting. And both the waistband -and- facing were interfaced. I'm stealing that too.



The pants fit GREAT at the waist! But there is too much length at CF and I am acutely aware of it. Darn it. Better start perfecting a slim-fit pant pattern...
Also, I forgot to reattach the belt loop at center back  :-(

Lastly, I blogged this via email! So cool!

You can set up a unique email address in settings, write an email and POOF, it's a blog post!
I have mine set to post as a draft because who knows what foolishness might appear here otherwise... 

17 comments:

  1. Ooh, I love those details, too (the pleated sleeve cap and pleated(?) yoke)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Right?! I am thinking of doing this to S1073. My muslin turned out really well and that yoke is perfect for this little pleating!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ruffling the shoulder yoke is sweet as, good idea to borrow.

    Just for fun, buy a mans suit from an opp shop and deconstruct it. The more bespoke the better, the internals are awesome! So much to learn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great idea. And so valuable I'm sure!!

      Delete
  4. Hey, I recognize that sleeve! *Smile*

    Rough and tumble? LOL. They should classify my workout playlist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HA!! I googled and boom! there you were! :-D

      It was absolutely hilarious :)

      Delete
  5. hahaha. I would set mine as a draft too. ;-) For all my luck my husband would post something crazy. I enjoyed your random thoughts. And yay for aldis! I just got back from there. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. RIght!? Aldi, Walgreens and Target. And maybe Panera. Sheesh :-p

      Delete
  6. OMG! Pleats at the sleeves--why didn't I think of that? I've been struggling with a Sybil Connolly vintage coat pattern over the past months because I stupidly purchased stretch sateen fabric and am now struggling with two piece fitted sleeves that won't fit. I'm totally going to steal this idea! Thanks for posting that picture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it genius!? I was all "I LOVE THIS JACKET" but am unsure about the gathered sleeves...and started searching because pleats are an alternative to gathers (I told myself) and then wam! Jackpot! :)

      And Erica's jacket turned out fabulously!!!

      Delete
  7. P.S. Love the obi belt too (if only I had a waistline), can't wait to see your belt. Are you thinking of making it in leather or a woven fabric?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) I am actually thinking of supporting handmade! and buying a leather one from Etsy.

      Delete
  8. You can email a blog post? Woah. Mind blown.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I LOVE the idea of emailing a blog post too! That pleating detail on the sleeve is awesome. And yes, I look at RTW and take notes on technique too. I think you did a great job with those pants!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I used to email blog posts so I could update easily from my call center job. Because I could be in email, but not the internet.

    ReplyDelete
  11. No red blooded woman would question buying another pair of shoes- rock on!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I read each and every one; even if I don't have time to respond back!