Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Quasi Fails: Finished: Vogue 8805 and WIP: Butterick 6183

Short and sweet...

Why it took me 2+ weeks to finish this dress, I don't know. And when I took these pictures, I wanted to wear it immediately!!


I used a charcoal ponte (FM), teal ponte (FM) and a navy knit from SR Harris. I don't know what to call it. It is lightly textured on the right side and smooth and shiny on the wrong side. 

I lengthened this one a tiny bit compared to the last one:


I like the first one better. Way better. See how not good I am at color blocking on my own!?! Sheesh. I skipped the top stitching on this one too. I just didn't think it made enough impact for the amount of time it takes. Which honestly isn't BAD, but ...

I'll wear it because this dress is so very comfortable, but it isn't love.

*****************
I was so excited to get MORE B6183 tops because it really is an awesome pattern (Carolyn at Diary of a Sewing Fanatic has fallen in love with it too). 

I chose this peachy oxford cotton shirting from FM because of the color.

I wasn't familiar with the properties of oxford. Womp. Womp. 

This fabric would have done much better as a casual button front shirt. It wrinkles when you think about thinking about looking at it. Darn it.

I sewed it as before but decided to add an exposed zipper. But then didn't love the white zipper. But then decided, eh, my hair will mostly cover it.

Then I put it on...(Note: I made the first one in ponte and the second one in cotton poplin.)

The sleeves were UNBELIEVABLY tight! Like, I cut them while the shirt was on my body. SHEESH.

So I made bias tape to turn them into cap sleeves. Really, all I need to do is bind the sleeves and neckline and hem it. I need to just get 'er done.


wrinkled as all heck...

I probably need to cut the sleeves a bit more angled.




33 comments:

  1. I really like your block dresses.. Both look very nice on you.. Happy sewing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for colorblocking! I prefer the first one on you, but both of them are really nice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vanessa! Yeah, the first one definitely has a love factor :)

      Delete
  3. I love both dresses! I think you did an awesome job...on both.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the charcoal/teal color blocked dress! I think it looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love those dresses. I must get this pattern.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It is a fun pattern. I may make another one eventually :)

      Delete
  6. great pattern, they both look great, I think I have a few color block patterns but haven't given them much thought, you know those you can't pass up for a $1 lol! how about going for #3 in bright bold colors? if anybody can pull it off, you can! this pattern suits you!

    Helen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!

      I LOVE that idea!!!!! And one of the colors should be coral. Because I love coral!

      Delete
  7. These dresses are just beautiful on you! The first one is especially wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well you learned a very valuable fabric lesson - Oxford cotton shirting is for shirts and shirtdresses primarily. I think the top is a fail. Take the zipper out, save it and trash the top. Part of becoming experienced is learning from your mistakes and learning when to stop working on a project. You will never wear this so let it go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very wise advice Carolyn. I was thinking the same thing. I'm learning in my own sewing journey that some projects are worth saving--just pitch it and move on.

      Delete
    2. You ladies are so right. And I have a massive queue so yep...time to move on. I can devote that time to something else!

      Delete
    3. I agree Carolyn, we learn the most from our mistakes! I am a teacher and your advice is perfect for everyone who doesn't 'love' a garment!

      Delete
  9. I like both colorblock dresses, but the one with the white top has more bang for your buck. As much as I pattern clash, I've yet to be brave or skilled enough to colorblock. So kudos to you for even trying!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ebi!

      OMG yes I am amazed that you haven't done colorblocking in your garments! :)

      Delete
  10. I like both dresses, but prefer the darker one. I agree with Carolyn on the top.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anne! Yes, I agree with her too. Time is precious, moving on!

      Delete
  11. Carolyn, I'd really appreciate a critique from you of my latest dress (and others) - I find it difficult to get honest opinions and I crave those. My recent question was when to give up and move on and I didn't answer it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think your darker dress is my fav!
    The Lisette top is a recent friend for me- but I skip the zip and taper it in a bit. I've got 3 now(crazy) !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!!!

      I'm sure I'll make it again. it's a great little pattern!

      Delete
  13. I like both of the colour block dresses - nothing wrong with either of them, in my opinion. But it's how you feel about them that is important.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You may not dig the second color block dress-- bu it looks great! I love that bold cobalt at the bottom. Bummer about the shirt. it's all about the journey, right? That's what I like to tell myself. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no, the one with the blue is the 1st one...That's the fave :)

      Delete
  15. I think your 2nd color blocked dress is just lovely! I love both dresses.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very nice. Now I'm considering getting a block pattern so I can have a piece like this in my wardrobe. It's simple and at the same time stands out because you mix any color(s) you want.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I read each and every one; even if I don't have time to respond back!