Wednesday, July 22, 2015

RTW...And Burda Mag (PHOTO HEAVY!)

Here I go with my frequent blogging again :-p

I shop for clothes so rarely and hate the inconsistent sizing found out there. So I tend to only buy from 3 places now:

Target (primarily tops, dresses and jackets)
JCPenney (Worthington is still my favorite RTW pant)
NY & Co (I can ONLY buy knit tops here. But their sales make it worth it when I do)

I had no plans today and a 15% off coupon for JCP and really wanted some cropped pants. I found LOTS of awesome things to try on though!


I've been wanting a maxi skirt and at $11 I liked this one enough to buy it. Even though my rectangle shape is so apparent.


I really, really liked the idea of this skirt but not the print, the length, the zipper...I do need to do a colorblocked skirt though. SOON!


I was NOT pleased with the imbalanced zipper tape! GROSS.


True to form; the size 12 pants were too tight in the thighs but fit PERFECTLY in the waist.

I absolutely loved this top. And yep...the Medium fit in the neck/shoulders but too tight across the bust, hangs up on the butt and too tight at the biceps, as seen below.

I got the large in a different colorway (white background). The sleeve bands are STILL too tight.  :/


My friend said "I'm sure there's a technical reason they're 'too small' but I think they look great." :) Drag line city at those big 'ole protruding thighs of mine. No. No. No.




This top reminded me why I love a peplum. Really helps balance my figure. This one was too tight...they didn't have my size AND the fabric was a weird feeling poly knit. No thanks...I'll make my own. I did like the slim Obi belt though!

These pants are a 14. They are about 2" too large in the waist. I'm getting ready to sit down with my seam ripper now.

WHO AM I?!?!

I am voluntarily doing alterations on RTW! :-) But I know I don't have time right now to fit a new pant pattern and I like these a lot.


I probably should have gotten this dress. I liked it but not enough to pay for $24 for it. :) Life of a sewer.


Lastly, I ran across two items that captured my HEART! I will try to recreate them; soon.



I was thinking of the new Vogue (V1465) when I saw this one but L pointed out that S1070 is a closer match because it has the yokes

Where can I get faux leather bias tape?


I saw this as I was walking out the door and gasped. I LOVE it! I got lots of suggestions on IG for recreating it so hopefully this one will come sooner rather than later!

WHEW!!!!

Yesterday, I got my August Burda in the mail and really loved several of the garments. I rarely review Burda as so many bloggers do an awesome job at it already...

I think this is so different and interesting!

I skipped past this in the preview but I kind of love that it's a chiffon "sweatshirt"! I am going to make this! With jersey for the bands

This bias cut skirt is simple but looks so beautiful on the model.

The construction is baffling to me though. The front has a facing but the back has a waistband.

I love e.v.e.r.y.t.h.i.n.g. about this jacket! The collar, the puffed sleeve, THE POCKETS, all the buttons. It's just beautiful. I will splurge on some wool for this at some point and make it over our long winter.


There were some beautiful plus size patterns too. One day I'm going to work up the nerve to grade down a plus pattern!

A plus sized top with lovely details and shaping! :-O

This little capelet is ridiculously gorgeous to me.

Yes. Okay, this can go into 'shapeless sack' territory but I think it has enough interesting details to be elevated.

Still here?

And then Westmoon (she always has the digs), posted the September preview and I lost it. There are A LOT of fantastic garments in this issue, IMO and so far, these are my faves.

VERY interesting lines in this little jacket/top



Gorgeous. Gorgeous. Gorgeous. 

This is what Saturday's in October in the Midwest were made for. Must have.

Beautiful! And you know I loves me some wraps.

This coat made me SQUEEEEEEEEE!  I will do a length between the two but yeah...

Did you know that if you're in the US, you can get a subscription to the REAL Burda (not that janky US Edition) through GLP News? (nayy) You can also buy individual issues for $10-$13 (I believe), depending on when you catch them in the mailing. 

So that's the end of the epic post of epicness...LOL!





29 comments:

  1. If you find a source for faux leather bias tape, please share! My favorites of your (snoop) shopping adventure were the maxi-dress that you didn't buy, that fantastic gray tweed moto jacket, and the top with the faux leather bias tape. And if you don't feel like tracing, remember that McCall's just put out a similar woven sweatshirt pattern to that chiffon Burda one. I picked it up at the last McCall's sale but haven't made it yet.

    From the preview, I like September Burda a lot better than August, which didn't do much for me. Those coats are fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I should've mentioned the same issue with the jacket. M too tight; L too big.

      I really don't mind tracing Burda! Especially one like this with three pieces. i didn't get the McCalls but it is a cute little woven sweatshirt.

      September is making me happy! I like it more than August too but August is like 10x better than the last few issues.

      Delete
  2. I like all of the garment colors on you. How long were you in that fitting room?
    I tried to join your instagram.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I can do all that stuff FAST. I was in there maybe 10 minutes! LOL!

      Hmmm. I believe it's public...what's your username?

      Delete
  3. Love that jacket with the leather yoke/bias finish. In the UK Minerva Crafts stock faux leather bias tape and they ship worldwide, hope this helps if you can't find it locally.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I'm still here! You are so enthusiastic! Love to read about your excitement.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :-) This is totally "me". Maybe I'm super exhausting in person?!?! LOL!!!!

      Delete
  5. You made me look at my latest Burda with a new set of eyes. HOLY SMOKES THE SEPTEMBER COAT. I have to dig through my stash and see what I can make it in. I have a long grey burda that I should probably retire. While it was the most gorgeous thing I'd made to date, I think I could do better now. And, it's looking a little worn. Finally, for $24, I think I would absolutely get that dress. It looks sensational on you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Renee, can you help her with leather trim? Is it Pacific Trim in NYC that has everything?

      Delete
    2. Thanks Cherie!

      I know Renee...that coat...it is magnificent!

      Delete
  6. You've got me wanting to go shopping lol! you're right , once you get use to sewing a lot RTW just doesn't work

    Helen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) It is MUCH harder to settle now. Slightly too tight here, too short there, nope...never mind!

      Delete
  7. That b&w dress was killer on you, but alas! ANd yeah, that long burda coat is calling my name & the wool I have in my stash. As for faux leather bias tape... no clue where to buy it & have thought some about this last winter bc I wanted a jacket very similar. You can easily make some... yeah yeah more work, but it will be a perfect match to the faux leather on the rest of the jacket. FM has some shiny-ish black pleather with spandex right now... not on sale though :( http://www.fabricmartfabrics.com/Black-Polyurethane-Lycra-Faux-Leather-With-Knit-Backing-Maggy-London-55W.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally should have gotten it :)

      I was thinking about just buying pleather and making my own but the pressing is pretty importnt in bias tape making and how well does that stuff press?

      Delete
  8. Wow, you sure showed me (again) why I don't go shopping anymore. If I can't get it online, I don't get it! I'm starting to sew again (wish me luck) so I can fit the narrow shoulders and strong thighs (don't be mad at your thighs, i personally love women with thighs, as does my husband. Because the so very thin models who don't look like they could make it to the bathroom, let alone live their lives.) Loved the b/w dress you did not buy, and the peplum blouse. But your makes have been so wonderful, stick with it! With the tops you make, no one's the wiser about the rectangular shape (that I also have!), and your dresses are lovely. You have such a good eye for what looks good on you.
    For leather trim, what about phoning Pacific Trim in NYC? They supposedly have everything!
    Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I love 'em! Just know that having muscular thighs affects my ability to buy pants :)

      I will try Pacific Trim!

      Delete
  9. There are so many great designs in the Burda magazine!! When I go shopping for retail, I love buying tops, jackets, and cardigans, but cannot stand fitting my lower half because the fit is soooo far off. Lastly, I too loved that black and white dress on you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vanessa!!! Yeah, Burda is coming back after a dismal start to the year.

      Delete
  10. You were patient going shopping. I've given up - I sort of attempt it sometimes, only to come home empty handed. And having wasted good sewing time to boot. Love some of those Burda styles - looks like I am going to have to rethink my subscription ..so thanks for posting !!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Faux leather bias tape, per google - http://www.mjtrim.com/40mm-faux-leather-bias-binding Yes?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, and this ebay store has a huge selection but it looks like they are in the UK - http://www.ebay.com/cln/multishop_uk/Faux-Leather-Bias-Binding-Tapes/97367038015, also - https://www.stylemakerfabrics.com/shop/product/faux-leather-bias-tape-black/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did find this very site but wasn't sure if it would be super costly to ship to the US. I'll have to check out the US sources and if not, try my hand with the UK sources!

      Delete
  13. Tight sleeves and bands are pretty much the reason I can't buy anything from a store that isn't sleeveless. The shirt will hang off of me, too big everywhere but the bust and and sleeves will be OMGskintight. It's just hard to make yourself buy something like that when you know you can make it (or at least you're fairly sure you can, LOL). I feel ya on pants too. I don't have hips, I have butt--so finding pants/jeans that cover my butt, don't bag in the hips, and cut in the waist are few in far between (which is why I'm currently rocking the low rise look.)

    I will be waiting anxiously to see what you make from those pattern inspiration pics, they are gorgeous! I'm especially loving that grey dress with the cowl neckline and the beige jacket!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so hard!!!! I'm so lucky I learned to sew!!!!!

      I cannot wait to make that jacket. I think I'm going to make it in winter white wool <3

      Delete
  14. My favorite from the RTW spree was that black and grey jacket. The big lapels, the zippers, it's just so sharp and I think it will be perfect on you. And the big cowl dress with the elven angled sleeves looks like pure joy for a nasty cold day! The jacket with the many buttons and puffed sleeves is gorgeous too. Burda teases me so with so many jackets. I've gotten to the point that I won't buy an issue if all I like in it are jackets because there's ALWAYS jackets I love in Burda mags. Thanks for the link for back issues. I haven't subscribed in a while, but I do enjoy the occasional treat of a back issue. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I LOVE JACKETS and before getting a subscription would always buy for the jackets :)

      I really liked that jacket but it didn't fit; so I will have to make it!

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I read each and every one; even if I don't have time to respond back!