Sunday, August 2, 2015

July Wrap-up and August Plans

Work is going great! But it's so much mental work that I am too drained too sew after work and then weekends are packed with all the things I should've been doing throughout the week! :)

This month I sewed 6.625 yards:


  • Simplicity 2446 dress in animal print jersey - 2 yards
  • Vogue 8805 dress in ponte/double knit - 1.75 yards
  • McCall's 7193 top in magenta poly crepe - 1.5 yards
  • Butterick 6183 top in peach cotton oxford - 1.375 yards (wadder)

Favorite: I really love the magenta top. The color is just amazing on me and the style is very flattering!

Fail: Not quite a fail but...the sleeves on my B6183 made it unwearable. I had to chop them and bias bind the newly made cap sleeve. I also don't love the fabric in this top. I wish I had just done a button front. Boooo!

The B6183 top is a wadder!

Accomplishments: I was very proud of myself for making the S2446 dress work for me. It was technically too small but my adjustments worked out perfectly. And I can't wait to make another one!

Overall a pretty quiet month...for me :)

For August, I have some serious plans! I really want these things so I can't afford to get distracted because I already know my time is limited...so no "oooh! SHINY!" :) It's a good thing I didn't go too crazy over the latest pattern releases right?!

1. I've agreed to participate in a pattern test, so that garment will be my first project

2. Burda 5/2015 #122 in cotton pique


It's aqua. 
A little bright, and I intended to make this at the start of summer...but I think I can still get a couple months of wear out of it before winter



3. Burda 6/2015 #121 in rayon jersey





The fit, this print and the rouching should make for a really flattering dress!


4. Vogue 9032 in grey suiting


It's a super-subtle plaid. 



5. Burda 8/2015 #120 in rayon challis


I don't care for the contrast under-layer and the photo they have is blech





6. Butterick 5926 jacket in striped ponte


Navy and White



7. *something* for my son. He said, "please sew me something cool" Awwwww!!!!!!

He mentioned that he's now into "cargo shorts without the cargo pockets"...uhmm, regular shorts?? But he has existed for about 6 years wearing basketball shorts exclusively :)

KS3884 is in progress as we speak!



Using the red cotton chambray I made my last NL6104 from:

4045 was also an option...there's a pants version too if you're looking



7b: if I get a chance, I'd love to make this skirt from Burda 8/2015 with this beautifully print challis






7c. Amber Swoon bag (may get pushed to September)

I stink at bag making thus far. I'm going to try really hard to make this one well!

(All fabric from Fabric Mart...of course...)

I made a super cute t-shirt dress for DD. Will post her dress and his shorts when they're all done! Until later :)

20 comments:

  1. Love your upcoming plans. It's understandable that your sewing has slowed down while you acclimate to a new job.
    I had to laugh at the comment about your son because my 13 yr old has just entered the "wear only basketball shorts" phase. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. With all those yards you sew, do you get rid of all excess fabric? When I first started sewing, it was difficult for me to throw away extra fabric just because it looked like I could use it for something later. Turns out it would sit in a bag forever lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes I do. If it's a lightweight fabric and I really like the print or color, I will keep it for pocket linings, contrast facings and stuff like that.

      Otherwise, I really don't end up with too much overage. I tend to buy fabric in smallish cuts.

      I don't often buy for specific projects but I will know if something will become dress vs. top or pants vs. dress, etc. It does get hard if I say, buy 2.5 yards for a dress and end up making a skirt and only use 1 yard. Well now I really can only make another skirt! And will I want 2 skirts from the same fabric??

      Delete
  3. 7b!!!!! Crossing my fingers you can get to that, it will be beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The more I look at the fabric the more I think the black/white geometric top should get pushed back and the skirt, pushed forward!!! :)

      Delete
  4. Wow, you've had a great July and looks like August is shaping up to be just as good! Sorry about the "wadder", but we all have them from time to time, right? One out of the many successful completes just ain't bad at all! BTW...love both of your color blocked dresses too they looked beautiful on you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Myra!

      So true. Those wadders will happen. Just have to move on to the next fabulous thing! :)

      Delete
  5. Hmmm...also doing a pattern test this week. Wonder if it's the same pattern? ;)

    I love those fabrics that you've got picked out! I'm still not sure what I'm sewing next--I've got two new books that I want to sew from, a huge backlog of McCalls summer dresses, and I really want to sew up that new Butterick with the zipper neck and crazy pockets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh it could be!!!

      That Butterick is pretty cute. I bet some awesome ones will be popping up soon. You should totally bump it to the front of queue! :-p

      Delete
  6. Bags are hard, I have a lot of fails there. I would super super suggest make a muslin of one first, before you slice into nice bag fabric. I think I'm saying that more for my own benefit than yours....

    Shorts are basketball shorts, cargo shorts, or those shorts that Dad wears (results of instant teenage man poll in kitchen).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the warning. Will use some quilting cottons in stash first!

      I got a HUGE laugh out of that! LOL!!!

      Delete
  7. Wow, you've got big plans for this month - I'm just hoping to get my August Burda made and finish a few things I've started and not finished (no new UFOs for me!). You actually get lots done for someone who works outside the home and has a family

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are totally ambitious!

      It's totally because my kids are near grown up. They are so busy all the time and I have way more free time now. Way. More.

      Delete
  8. I can't wait to see your striped ponte knit jacket and the Burda skirt. You've got me all excited about this upcoming month of sewing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. YAY! :) I cannot wait to get that striped jacket IN MY CLOSET!

      Delete
  9. Posted this in the wrong place, so deleted it and posted it again.

    What great upcoming projects! Everything is so stylish! Love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Burda 121 is amazing!! Your sewing plans look awesome! How exciting!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I read each and every one; even if I don't have time to respond back!