Thursday, August 20, 2015

New McCall's! And Other's...

I'm surprised I haven't seen many reviews of this latest release. Mostly because, it is AWESOME!!!!

And others??

Yeah, aside from costumes, the Simplicity release was pretty weak. And as per the usual, they are not up on their site yet. New Look's fall release is nearly entirely composed of re-released patterns. Some of them aren't even discontinued yet under their original number! Oy!

Simplicity patterns are up on Pattern Review. The only two I really liked were:

1018: A great knit dress



SO MUCH movement!

1012: A 60s vintage pattern


Honorable mention; 1016: The MimiG coat


I have an altered Lekala pattern that I bought and 'hacked' after deciding I liked the Papercut Watson, but not enough to spend that kind of money on it. Also, I prefer the Papercut capelet, how it is integrated into the seam at the front


Now let's get to the GOOD stuff!


7256 is a little too much for me but man that would make an awesome dress coat!




7262 is a Khaliah Ali pattern. Very cute. And it reminds me of my Burda coat with the crazy sleeve!




7242 looks awesome! I doubt I will make a fall maxi dress but it's gorgeous


7244 works without looking too young. There was another McCall's where it looked a bit too "ruffly" on the bottom. This is subtle...


7240: LOVE.



7241 I don't normally do a dropped waist but this one with the pleating is calling me. Plus it has cup sizing!!!!



7242; I like.


7245: I don't love their fabric choice and the sleeves are a bit much for everyday. But I am loving this dress. The little inset at front? Swoon.

7259: Drama in a good way!


7258: I had a pouty moment when I saw this was only in plus sizes. 

7254?! ALL the yeses!!!!

7247 has had several similar-looking predecessors...

7251 I almost missed due to hideous fabric. This top is pretty awesome.



I predict 7249 being popular




7261; I don't even sew activewear but this pattern makes me want to!!!




26 comments:

  1. I love your picks - I'm not usually tempted by new pattern releases because I have so many patterns already but quite a few of these have caught my eye. Luckily they won't appear here in the southern hemisphere for a while so there's time to see what others have made from them first!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good point!!! I am often torn between wanting to make one NOW and waiting to see what other's successes and failures look like!: )

      Delete
  2. There are definitely some good McCalls releases this round! I really want to make that maxi dress... so dramatic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like all of the same patterns. McCalls did good this time around!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have so many patterns they're starting to look alike lol the blouse that you really like in the plus size, couldn't you hack it up to fit you? LOL Happy sewing

    Helen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eh. I don't get pattern drafting enough to grade and I am a 14 on top...plus an FBA! :) I think this one starts at 18W which would just be huge.

      Delete
    2. Ah thank you for that huge comment! LOL! However, this pattern is on my list to buy it fits my new lifestyle to a T!

      Delete
  5. You know you have too many patterns when you see a 'new' pattern release and you find yourself saying 'I have that already' or 'that looks familiar'. Lol. Anyway. some of the new ones are worth pursuing. I agree with you about 7249--bet it gets a lot of rotation. I see 7261 view A as a tunic or even a dress. I'm a sucker for raglan sleeves and princess seams. Mimi G 1016 is Sim 2149 with a cape. smh

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like 7251 too. View B is the best teacher shirt ever. It would be fun to do the top and bottom parts in different colours. And 7258 made me do a double take. It is one of the best plus size patterns I have ever seen.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's so hard to get excited about the heavy layers and fall colors of a fall release (at least,for me). My fave pattern from the new McCall's collection is M7251. M7264 purse E is a great excuse to buy a piece of leather and be trendy at the same time. I loved the example of M7242, but can't picture whether it would look as good in real life. I prefer B6244 to M7262 for a waterfall cardigan because it comes with a dress, hah!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm loving that vintage dress! I can't believe summer is pretty much over. ...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree that the McCalls release was a pleasant surprise! I think the MimiG coat has similar lines to the Katherine Tilton Butterick Coat, only it's a bit more refined. (B6254)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I agree with you, this is a great release, I just ordered 7 patterns in the online sale, can't remember the last time I did that.

    ReplyDelete
  11. My picks for the McCalls were pretty similar to yours, although I already own patterns that are somewhat similar to most of the ones that I liked. I do really like that knit princess seam dress from Simplicity and I actually really like the MimiG coat--I ordered both of those from the PR sale. (I don't see a Simplicity sale anywhere on the near horizon for JoAnns and our local Hancock just closed.)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Besides the plus size pattern, I also like 7251 blouse but I want some set in sleeves on the 2nd view. 7254 - like but gonna pass. 7240 - LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this dress! 7241 - dress - like but I'm on the fence about it! I agree It was a good offering!

    ReplyDelete
  13. LOL, I had no idea that they released the fall patterns!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have to have that high low coat pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Totally agree with you! I am obsessed with the new McCall's release. I'm glad you mentioned that PR has the new Simplicity up - I can stop stalking their website like a crazy person. The funny thing is that my local store has the new New Looks but not the new Simplicity in yet, and I was confused because all the "new" patterns looked like things I already own. Glad I'm not going crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  16. LOL! I didn't know they had released Fall patterns, either. I like 7244. I wish I could get into the Big 4 patterns, but I have a hard time doing so. But for something REALLY fab, I might change my mind!

    ReplyDelete
  17. We are on some of the same track. I think this has been one of McCall's best releases in a long time.
    Lots of LOVES in this collection.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ok, I must use control- I don't need some of these- I just want them, but they look very similar to patterns I already own- so I must behave.....so I only wrote down 5. 1012 looks a lot like a Vogue that no one has given any love to- hmm.....

    ReplyDelete
  19. Many of these are my favs too! I think my fav of your choices is 7254. Can't wait to sew for fall!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hey, I already have two of these patterns!

    Isn't 7256 just more of the Lolita "Spearmint" coat that made the rounds last year? I did a spit-take at work over it, and my poor boss had to listen to me rant for a full minute before I calmed down and realized - he doesn't care. I already know that's a tough collar to pull off.

    And I have 7261 already: it's called the PB Jam leggings from Fehr Trade. Although her Steeplechase leggings are on the future table: no inside leg seams. Try to draft that, McCalls.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I agree with you, when you have a great TNT, especially pants...they're very hard to come by and I usually do what you did and make SEVERAL pairs! I love 7244 and really want to make that one sleeveless beffore summer ends!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great job, mostly all similar picks to mine, lots to luv :-) :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I read each and every one; even if I don't have time to respond back!