Wednesday, August 26, 2015

I Hope I Don't Regret This

My mojo has been non-existent this week.

After finishing my pants (thank you for all the nice comments, by the way. I have worn them twice this week. Yes, I know it's only Wednesday...but I Love them so.), I wanted to get started on 1 of 2 fall jackets I want.

Now, I love coats. Love. I own a lot of coats/jackets. Like, A.Lot. Coats and shoes have always been my 'thing'. Bags? Meh. Give me a beautiful coat!!!!

I have this Via Spiga coat that I just cannot part with even though I can't fit it anymore (it's a RTW 10).


I have always adored that subtle print and it was just the perfect little topper for fall and spring. 

I planned on the Sewaholic Minoru in a water resistant linen in tan/beige with a cheetah(?) print lining and S2508 in this cotton floral faille.



I bought this faille back in December 2013. But it was all metallic and OMGHOWWILLISEWIT?! Well, I suddenly got the urge to use this fabric now. Like, now. And was going to make S2508 (the pink coat) but with the ruffled sleeve



But no matter how I laid those pieces out, I just didn't have enough fabric. I also decided that the faille might not look good with the raglan sleeve. So I nixed it.

I love coats, remember? And I have a lot of coat patterns(!) I still bought a new pattern. WHY does this happen!? I was waiting for my daughter and was browsing the sites and decided on Butterick 6141. But since I'd just ran out to pick her up, I looked a hot mess. My son went into Hancock, found the pattern and bought it for me!

He's redeemed himself just a tiny bit with that one ;-)

I've spent daaaaaaays (whine) trying to force myself to get started. And so I decided to get it going. I don't love the lining fabric I chose. It seems so drab?? I'm hoping that I didn't force myself into a bad spot! YIKES!


So I hope to get that finished before September rolls in. Fingers crossed!


**************

What did I do with my few mojo-less days?

Moved some stuff around in the sewing room:


I'm shopping for a dresser or file cabinet for pattern storage. I'm tired of shuffling bins around to look for stuff!


I like the sewing table in this corner more. I need to pull it away from the wall on the left a bit (my chair keeps rolling over the vent in the floor). I also need to move my ironing board to *this* side of the mirror.

And that fabric was just in various boxes and bins and UGH! I am annoyed with my stash right now! I am going to try to pick up an IKEA Kallax shelf for my fabric. Well, for a good portion of it.


I moved the cutting table over here. I think once I buy some of the larger storage pieces I'll move the cutting table away from the wall. 

 Knitting:


I did NOT understand this pattern when I first started it (about 8 months or so after learning to knit). I'd gotten like 50% done and the pattern was just off. So I stuffed it in a bag! Well, with my hand issues I haven't knit in almost a year and was itching to do so :) I decided to finish this because I wouldn't have to do the ribbing! LOL!

So I frogged back and started over. I have messed up SO many times since picking it back up! Sheesh. But, It's almost done (I've started the decreases) and I'll have a super cute hat for fall/winter!

Making dessert (It's not really 'baking'):

I had an overwhelming urge for banana pudding. So I came home and whipped one up! :)




28 comments:

  1. You look so happy in your hat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kyle! I am!! I have tried it on at least 413 times :-p

      Delete
  2. Still a productive week. That coat is going to look nice can't wait t see it:-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It must be nice to live somewhere where you can actually wear a coat! Here in Florida you get to wear one for a day or two! Can't wait to see yours finished, how exciting!
    Sewing room dilemmas, I'm going through them too! Your room looks huge though. Lots of space to store lots of patterns & fabrics & notions. Love the hat & your banana pudding looks so yummy!
    Bonnie @ www.sewplus.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's one of the reasons I love the midwest. As crazy as winter can get, I just love coats and boots and sweaters. Ahhhhh

      Delete
  4. Quick comment: For a file cabinet, check your local university's property disposition services (if it has one). I got two in-great-condition Steelcase file cabinets for $40 total. They can cost $200 each brand new. You may also find some good dorm furniture, library tables, etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's an excellent idea. I'm going to look into it.

      My husband thought he'd scored a couple for me (he works for a private school), but they have some strict rules about how they have to dispose of property. Boooo!

      Delete
  5. Can't wait to see the finished coat. The hat is so cute! Also I love your sewing space, it is so open and light. I need a pattern storage solution too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Masha! I really think if you're a hoarder like me (dang $2 sales); a file cabinet or dresser with dividers is the way to go. I am so tired of shuffling bins around!!! And then you have the off-sized patterns that don't quite fit. Like some of the designer Vogues.

      Delete
  6. Your sewing space is shaping up well. The coat will be several states levels of awesomeness, looking forward to seeing it.

    OMG you knit as well!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!!!

      I DO! hahaha! I wish I could knit more. But a little bit is better than zero!

      Delete
  7. I can't wait to see your coat!- it's going to be gorgeous. I got a little bit of that fabric in a bundle, so if you need anymore for whatever reason, let me know!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The coat's going to be amazing. Can't wait to see the finished project. But until the mojo returns, have fun playing in the sewing room. Sometimes revamping your space is all you need.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think your coat is going to be gorgeous! I can't wait to see it and I do the same thing: when I loose my mojo, I clean my space!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does reenergize, doesn't it?? Thanks! I can't wait til I can try it on!!!!

      Delete
  10. I love seeing your coats.. So pretty ..You do a wonderful job on them. I think this one is going to be just as pretty.. Have fun..
    Your sewing room looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  11. aw, what a good son :D And I moved to a filing cabinet for my mags and patterns - much much better than those darn bins.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I have to add, I found my cabinet on craigslist for only $25!!!

      Delete
    2. Thanks Kristin! I've been scouring CL daily! I'll find something, I'm sure of it!

      Delete
  12. I'm not a foodie...I practically eat the same thing every day now that I've gotten rid of most of the junk in my life but I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE banana pudding! Reminds me of family holidays when I was a little girl. My aunties made THE best banana pudding. I had some the other day from Magnolia Bakery - the ONLY thing that I love from Magnolia Bakery and the best banana pudding in NYC!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :-D It is definitely one of my favorite desserts.

      Delete
  13. Like how you are organizing the sewing room. I think your coat will turn out okay. The banana pudding looked delicious! My grandmother made the best ever and though I find it at certain restaurants locally nothing compares.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love statement coats- I totally get the no bags- coats vibe!
    Last night I was secret pinning evil coat plans while my mojo is low!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I read each and every one; even if I don't have time to respond back!