Saturday, August 15, 2015

I Don't Think I'm a Quilter

Back in December, I made this small jelly roll race quilt to as an intro to my daughter's quilt. I figured I'd better get going on it so that it's pieced and ready to go to the quilter by around May, at the latest.

I picked up some books from the library and she settled on this one, All Together Now, from Rachel Griffith's book, Quilt's made with Love (here, nayy).


I thought, wow! That looks easy! Did I stop to consider how those triangles are made? NOPE!

The cutting seemed to take forever! And the first block had me ready to cry. I knew though, that I had to assemble a block right away so I could judge how long it would take me to get them done. 

However, the second block went together MUCH faster. 

I'm not quite following the directions; I am laying my blocks out as I go vs making all the assemblies. I think I would just get bored to tears doing it assembly-line style. I'm really happy with the colors so far! I'm using 10 prints and black for the background, per her request.

It's also worth noting that each finished block is 14"x14" and the finished dimensions are 56 1/2 squared. She wants it rectangular so I'll be adding another row of blocks. So I need 20 total, vs 16. I'll build out the rest of the width/length with a border as needed.

I can't wait to see the finished product but yeah, I'm going to have to really plan out time to work on these blocks!




Block 3 laid out

Son said he wants a quilt too. Of course. But it is NOT okay to wait until his senior year.

He's so demanding, that one!

My jacket is almost done. So close. Soooo close. I was planning to finish it this morning but the quilt sidetracked me :)

One of my favorite things is seeing my own progression. I first made B5926 in October 2013, (I started sewing January 2013). The fit was off, the collar was so hard, and my pockets kept falling off :)

I remade it in July 2014 and it was MUCH better. I wear that jacket all.the.time. ALL THE TIME! You probably know this if you follow me on Instagram!

When I did the notched collar today, there was no confusion. I understand exactly what I was supposed to be doing. I didn't have to rip any stitches. PROUD moment!

I need to hem it, get it all nicely pressed and get photos.


24 comments:

  1. I never understood cutting up little pieces of fabric and then sewing them back together! So I give you kudos for even doing this! Can't wait to see the jacket!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its only 'cause I love her! :)

      Thanks Carolyn!

      Delete
  2. I'm not a quilter either. I've made a few in the past but I am a sewer who needs instant gratification. I know a dress will only take a few days, a skirt an afternoon and a jacket a week. A quilt can take months. NO WAY! Your quilt is beautiful, I can't wait to see it completed.
    Love your jacket too! A great statement piece.
    Bonnie @ sewplus.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have quilts friends and they don't understand how to insert a sleeve and I don't understand how 400 triangles make something. Kudos to the gal who understands both!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wot both Carolyn & prttynpnk sez! Multiplied lots & lots.

    Just don't get quilting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it'll definitely be a hear and there thing.

      Delete
  5. oh that quilt is going to look fantastic, i really like the colors you chose.. i tried quilting only once, and was really surprised how much i liked doing it (but it was way more simple in design than your quilt, guess i'll have to make a proper one to know do i really love quilting that much).. also, love the b&w jacket, can't wait to see the finished photos

    ReplyDelete
  6. I enjoy quilting, I love the mixing of patterns and colours and seeing it coming together. You make garments as such a fantastic pace, is it the time consumption of quilting that puts you off. It will look lovely when finished.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AH! That could be it. Like, ohmygosh! I have to wait FOREVER to have a finished 'thing'! :)

      Delete
  7. I'm kind of starting to get interesting in quilting though I haven't done it yet. (I don't think that "quilting" the front panel of my Simplicity dress counts.)

    I bought some quilting directions last weekend from the City Quilter and had a gander---one of the instructions said "repeat 30 times". Uhmmmmm.....

    The other part is actually buying all the fabric that goes into the quilt. Seems like quilters have to be super organized on that front.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See. I was supposed to make 128 assemblies. Just...no. That doesn't sound fun. Well not in one go.

      Just be like me; no real forethought. I just grabbed 10 fabrics in shades of blue and green, and one white. Lol!!!!!!!!

      Delete
  8. I am a sewer turned quilter. Everyone seems to think the two are related, not so. The only real common ground is the machine and you even use that differently. The biggest difference for me was when I learned the a single hole plate makes the job a lot easier because you are only straight stitching. I still make the occasional garment but my studio is full of color and inspiration with the fabrics I use!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree that they are completely different. I have a great appreciation for quilts; I've rarely seen one that isn't beautiful and fascinating to me.

      I have head the suggestion for the single hole plate!

      Delete
  9. Quilt and jacket are both going to be show stoppers!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I started making doll clothes as a young girl then switched to sewing garments for myself. In the mid 70s I picked up quilting mainly so I could have a group of fellow sewists to share my love of fabric and sewing. I never gave up my love of sewing garments because it is my first love so I am able to do both although I admit they are quite different. The world of garment sewists through sewing blogs is very satisfying. Karen

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am definitely not a quilter. At. All. I just can't with the 1/4-inch seams and 1000 little pieces. So much NOPE.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like quilting to me it is like creating your own art! However, I LOVE making my own garments so quilting gets set aside. I finally finished a quilt top I started two years ago! Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am SO NOT interested in being a quilter, LOL! But I am definitely loving this jacket of yours and can't wait to see it completed! Looking great so far!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your quilt will look beautiful in the end! I made one quilt before. It was a baby quilt, for a friend who was expecting her first girl. It came out lovely, but I realized quilting was not for me, either!! I would definitely do it for special occasions, but not as a continual hobby. Your jacket looks like it is coming along nicely too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. The quilt is super pretty! Good luck to you!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I read each and every one; even if I don't have time to respond back!