Sunday, November 15, 2015

Burda (Con't!) 10/2015 #109

Yep, Burda has my attention right now!

After making the top and cowl, I decided that this top would also look pretty danged cute.






I will say one thing about Burda, I think for the most part what you see is what you get. So this boxy oversized look on the model is how the pattern will come out sewn in your size.

But it works!!!

It was quick to sew; I had the collar traced off but none of the other pieces. I got them traced out and got it sewn Saturday morning. I hemmed it later in the day and then didn't take it off until bedtime. It's SO cozy!



I used a size 42. While I won't say I'd go down to a 40 if sewn again, I'd just leave off my seam allowances from the sleeve and side seams. I added 3/8" SAs and ended up removing 5/8" from the sleeves and sides (total of 2.5" removed all around the body and 1.25" from the sleeves!).

I used a regular zipper instead of an invisible and for some reason decided to top-stitch it. Atrocious. I unpicked it and redid it but honestly, it doesn't look that much better :-p But you can barely see it so.... LOL!

The description mentions the zipper making it 'easier to get on/off' but it is not necessary to get it on and off.


I like the hi-low on this one! I wish I would have topstitched that horizontal seam. I pressed and pressed and it still flips up/down in certain places. 


I do have to 'arrange it' when I first put it on but after that it isn't fussy.

OMG one isssue; the long collar is folded down to create a facing. Every time I put it on my head gets stuck! LOL!



The sleeves are roomy but if you look at the line drawing and how the yoke comes down, I think that they have no other 'choice' but to be roomy.

I initially added 1" hem allowance which I never need hem allowance with straight sized Burda. I decided that with the yoke, a wide hem would be nice. I hemmed it at 1 3/4". I had also added 1" for the sleeve hem. I trimmed away 1" and hemmed it 1.5".  I used fusible tape in the hems and a double needle.

I really like this pattern. It went together quickly and very nicely. It also helped that it was the featured pattern so it was hi-lighted on the pattern sheet in pink (easier to trace!) and you get step by step illustrated instructions. Score!

The Burda fest continues after I finish this pattern test!

32 comments:

  1. Cute! Who cares if it's a little oversized? It still looks super cute and cozy. And we all need casual cozy clothes, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michelle!!!

      As a rectangle I generally avoid oversized, it just doesn't work! This though, I love!

      Delete
    2. You are NOT a rectangle!! lol! You are very curvy!

      Delete
    3. OH MY GOSH if you look at me straight on I am totally a rectangle! And can appear VERY blocky! It's why I definitely prefer fitted clothes and defining my non-existent waist!

      Now from the side well...that's another story! LOL!

      Delete
  2. Love it. Looks great on you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it it looks so comfortable.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Super cute! You also look very happy with it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks great and so comfy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the desihn of this top and it looks great on you, don't understand the use of the zipper, the neckline is wide and the design of top is loose fitting so why did they add the zipper there?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The zipper is not necessary. It is a design feature.

      Delete
  7. I like the unusual design and it looks lovely on you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this top... and of course I let my subscription expire the month before this issue. Doh!
    Great pattern - looks great on you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah! It was hard for me to decide to continue. But my family vetoed my decision because they didn't want the drama of me whining about my Burda!

      Delete
  9. This is a great top and it looks really cute on you. Where is that zipper hiding? It sure doesn't look like it needs one.

    I recently learned from a Cutting Class post that the lower the shoulder the bigger and lower the armhole, therefore your big sleeves. Otherwise, the fit is uncomfortable and makes drag pulls. Yours looks great in it's "oversize-ness".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to come over with coffee or tea and cake -- Please tell me you like cake?? -- and you're going to teach me all the things!!! :)

      Thanks Bunny! I really like it!

      Delete
  10. Looks great. Love the pattern, the colour - I`ll try it next:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very nice top on you. I've been wanting to use that pattern as a scarf of sorts so it's nice to see what the neckline does.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I had this pattern traced and ready to cut out of a chunky sweater knit but aborted because I was afraid it would be huge and bulky. So it is neat to see your version made out of a thinner knit and looking so great.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love this! And the top and skirt from the previous post! They all look great!

    ReplyDelete
  14. How cute!!!! I wouldn't have given that a second glance had I not seen yours made up!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Cute top! I'm interested in making this top now after seeing your version and others' on the Burdastyle website.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yours is the first version that turned out. You've sold me!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I read each and every one; even if I don't have time to respond back!