Sunday, March 27, 2016

Simplicity 1756: Skill Builder


My top is this striped peplum in poly chiffon from NY & Company 
(I've always loved their tops)



The year I started sewing I coveted this pattern! 
There weren't many versions made up but still - I wanted it! 


I was going to make it before as part of a wardrobe contest, cut the pattern out, but didn't have enough fabric. Then, I intended to use it for the current PR Wardrobe Contest (of which I've dropped out of), so when Michelle from Style Maker Fabrics contacted me and asked me to participate in her Spring Canvas Blog Tour, I jumped at the opportunity to choose a white fabric to use for my vest.

I am #7 on the tour so be sure to go back and check out the projects of the lovely 6 ladies that went before me!



I've wanted a crisp white topper for the longest and went for THIS cotton/linen blend.
1) For the crispness
2) Because it's lightweight (and summery!)
3) Because while lightweight, it's stable enough to handle the zippered welts I wanted to insert

As I mentioned, the pattern was already cut out - in a size 16. I'd already made flat pattern adjustments: Narrow shoulder, taking a tuck between shoulder and bust, and swayback.

Zip-It (NAYY) is my main go-to for interesting and/or single zippers (Otherwise it's Wawak all the way).


I was buying zippers for another project and picked up 4 of thsese. I HAD to have them! :)  I ordered these almost a year ago and was so excited that a project finally came up giving me cause to use them.

The vest comes with patch pockets -- which I am SO glad I didn't use! More on that later. 

I used Fashion Sewing Blog TVs tutorial for the pockets - she is so good. Interfacing. Careful marking. Careful stitching. It's certainly nothing you want to rush through!


They aren't perfect - next time I'll topstitch 1/4" from the zipper - but I was So proud of myself!!


I'd posted this on IG mid-construction.
always mind your marks!


My collar went in effortlessly, because I had everything properly marked and took my time.
I'm very happy with it!


All seam allowances are serged and pressed open. The fabric is fairly opaque, but the center back seam shows up through the fabric. I have no photos of the back because it started raining and my photographer ran in the house. She'd just did her hair. :) But this photo starts my issues with the finished project.

I think it looks like a lab coat.



And after I initially thought it, I couldn't shake it. Could. Not. Shake! I hoped the zippered pockets would help (see why I'm glad I didn't go with patch pockets?!) but I just don't love it :(


The pattern wasn't without problems. Not until after I was working overtime to press the collar did I question why the pattern had me interface both the upper and under collar. Even though the under(?) collar was to be cut on the bias. I questioned it and cut it on the fold, but my collar is much more stiff than it should be. And there's something weird with the way they tell you to finish the front facing when attaching it to the front.

Also, it is incredibly boxy and shapeless. And making it a size too large doesn't help (it was cut out in a 16 and I really needed a 14). I really like the back vents and the idea of it -- and the fabric truly is awesome! I may go back and try to nip it in through the waist. Maybe. I don't have an issue walking away from a pattern that isn't working though. And right now, I have so much on my plate that it isn't a priority. I'll toss it in the naughty box for now and see if I want to bother with it when I have time to sew again.

Even so, I think my next attempt at a sleeveless jacket notched-collar vest will be from a different pattern.

***I received the fabric for free from Style Maker Fabrics in exchange for participation on the tour.
Pattern choice and opinions (as per usual!) are completely my own.***

There are 5 more stops on the tour, the lovely Lori of Girls in the Garden is up next!

I'm moving soon and in full-on crazy mode. Then I need to finish the prom dress. BUT! I have a couple finished projects though that haven't made the blog! So I'll be scheduling those to post over the next couple of weeks. And I'll only be responding to questions in the comments. They are all appreciated though! Know that!!

29 comments:

  1. Any chance you could dye it? It would look less like a lab coat in another color perhaps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kendra!
      Someone else did suggest dyeing but that's not something I've ever done and again--just too much going on right now to think about trying something new. Maybe in a couple months!

      Delete
  2. You know it doesn't look as bad as you think! I just don't see lab coat. However, I would wear white jeans and a bright colored top under it...or all bright unders. Just a thought. You did a great job on the collar and zipper though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Maybe because I wore a lab coat most days since...forever. It's the FIRST thing I thought when I put it on mid-construction :)

      Thanks much! I am proud of the work on this one!

      Delete
  3. That's a great idea- dye it another color you would want for Spring! Or I think Carolyn is right too- wear fun Spring colors underneath maybe a print with some white in it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michelle!

      We'll see if it survives :-D

      Delete
  4. My first thought when I saw the photos was what a long, elegant line this vest has! I totally want one now. Even after you mentioned it it doesn't read 'lab coat' to me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. now that you said it I see lab coat too :) maybe if it had more of a waist? Also re: interfacing I use a more firm interfacing for the under collar and then a lighter one on the upper collar, that will make it less stiff. But if you don't interface the upper then all the seams etc show through.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haha I am laughing over here because I am a PhD pharmaceutical scientist by training and I remember the days of the lab coat and well, yep, it does kind of look like that. Only cos you said it! I think it might be the length? And the slight boxiness. The zippers and collar are lovely though. Take the zippers out and redo in a bright colour I say!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am in the "embellish it further" camp. Your collar and zips are so worth saving and I think this could be really interesting with some surface embellishment. I think I might just brush it with black or navy dye in a few odd places or along the hem and a bit in the bodice. I think you could really have fun with this and have a statement garment as well. Great job sewing it. Does it have those cutouts in the back?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No cutouts on this one!

      I like the idea of some hand painting!

      Delete
  8. I don't see lab coat, at all. I love the contrast of a black and white outfit. I think it looks crisp and polished.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think to see a labcoat you have to have worn one in your life. I see it and am amused because I spent sooooooo many years wearing one. I doubt the vast majority of the world sees it that way. I think it's cute with the Ippers.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I agree this looks like a lab coat.....I think you're petite, yes? If so the coat is too long, in general if your height is NOT above 5'6". You'll need a shorter vest to be flattering...but think you could make a cute narrow skirt, wear with this vest...and belt the whole thing....try it see what you think. You did a great job making this vest and you're addition of the Zips was brilliant....keep stitching! Laura

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I'm just *maybe* 5'5" so it could be treading into weird-length territory which is easy to do at my height!

      Delete
  11. Well your pockets and zippers are wonderful - if you wad the jacket, I assume you'll salvage those zippers! I sewed a kimono jacket from Hot Patterns that looked to me just like a scrub top - couldn't stand it, tossed :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your zipper pocket are so beautifully done. I like your vest.. sorry it didn't turn out like you wanted it too. Maybe you will make it again, and will be able to change the things you like/dislike.
    Happy sewing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I made this vest, and I still wear it from time to time. I think you did a great job, loved the embellishments that you added, but understand when "you " just don't love it. I agree also, that this pattern is rather boxy, but I'm still thinking of making another,lol!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I do like this jacket vest. As some others have suggested dying it maybe an option. Or when you find time after moving and prom dress, you could add embellishments around the collar and front opening. I do love the zipper pockets and will visit the site to see all they offer.

    ReplyDelete
  15. My husband works in the medical field and I often see him in a lab coat so I can see how you think it looks like a lab coat. Those pockets are just fab and you did such a great job putting it together. I agree with other's suggestions of dyeing it a different color (once you are settled in to your new place...) and taking it in at the waist a little for shaping. Great job though!

    ReplyDelete
  16. You can send it to me! I have this vest in my to-sew pile, but I don't know when I'll get to it, and I think yours will fit me :). I love Carolyn's idea of wearing with white pants and a bright top under.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Havig worn a lab coat for many years too, I also see the lab coat look. With a little shoulder narrowing and another fabric though, it would be very cute! Love the pockets you did. Those don't look lab coat at all.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I think you did a great job at sewing it. I agree that it seems a bit oversized for you. Some shaping would improve it. The lab-coat look is because of the contrast between your other clothes and your vest. I would either dye it as others suggested or wear it as part of a lighter-coloured ensemble. If you can do all-white, all the better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!

      Nah...I tried this thing on with at least a dozen other items/combinations.

      Delete
  19. Those zippers are so dang cute!! It's too bad you feel it's a lab coat. I'm the same way - once something is in my head... forget it! I agree with above comments though, you should try dying it! What do you have to lose :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Aaah. Now that you said 'lab coat,' it's all I see. Oh well, it's still cute and those zippers are nifty! Maybe if you tried the pattern in a plaid or funky print, you may like it better.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I like the vest, but I understand the lab coat reference. Also, I LOVE the zippers!!! I will be checking the posted link out. I am always looking for fun zippers for garments. Otherwise, you did an outstanding job on the vest, as always!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I have to wear a lab coat for work (long sleeve, gray, corporate sadists, it's 100° here) and it's too tight across the back no matter how many sizes I go up. I'm ready to burn it, but I think I'll tinker with it instead. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I read each and every one; even if I don't have time to respond back!