Thursday, March 10, 2016

2 New Dresses: McCall's 6884 and Vogue 8904

I'm so happy with these two!

I'm not 100% sure I'm going to finish the contest but no matter, I am off to a great start for my casual summer wardrobe!!!

I first attempted V8904 December 2014 (here). It was a disaster.

Mostly due to the fabric but I've lost enough weight that the size I'd originally cut fits much better now.

I got the striped jersey awhile ago and it felt a little too heavy at first for this pattern. The front and back are a basic tank dress and then the shingles (4 front and back on this view) are added. That is quite a bit of layering. But once I started working with it, it proved to be a nicely behaved jersey. Bonus - the edges don't curl after cutting. Score!



I cut a size 16 with no changes. I cut the front piece out and then the shingles. I marked the underlayer by folding up the paper and then making a dotted line with a fabric marker.

The shingles are the same front and back. Sooooo I was cutting everything right side up, single layer and cut out ALL of the back shingles. Also right side up.


When I went to attach the back shingles I realized my error. DOH. I had to eek out those additional layers and just barely made it! WHEW! But that meant not having the 3/4 sleeves I envisioned.

I attached the shingles on the sewing machine and then basted front shingles to front and back to back. I then serged the side seams.

I made no attempt to stripe match but it seems it went okay. Score!




I am very happy with the dress! Very happy!!! 

McCall's 6884 has been made a couple of times before and just makes me super happy. It's only time consuming because of hemming the fronts but otherwise it's such a quick project with lots of bang for the buck IMO.



I cut a size 16 as per usual for this pattern. I added black bands to the neckline and armholes after deciding to go with a colorblocked option.

Remember a couple years ago when this striped/floral print was huge?! I managed to snag 2 yards of this nice ITY from Fabric Mart back in summer of 2014 and have been hoarding it. Well, 2 yards was not enough for a maxi dress! But 18-month sewer me didn't know that :)

I was all distraught and was going to go with a short option when I remembered the version I made here. Ahhhhh I can use solid black and that'll be awesome!!! 

I absolutely ADORE this dress! I am certain this will be a go-to option this summer!


My posture is so bad. I swear my side seam isn't that crooked (on the bodice) but POSTURE!


I just love the floral print over the black & white stripe



Little bit of a split there! :-O 

LOL! But it isn't open or doesn't open very high when you walk.

Love. Love. LOVE!!!  I will probably make another one and add a couple of inches to wear it with heels. 

33 comments:

  1. Both are very cute but that last one is REALLY working for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Both dresses are lovely but the color blocked one is on point.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes!! A definite love for both!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Both dresses look amazing! I especially love the striped jersey.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great dresses - especially the last one :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like the last one too! Great fabric choices!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love both dresses, but that color blocked is fiyah! Love-love!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love both dresses. I love the floral and stripes mix too. I have that shingle dress on my winter dress list!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love both of these dresses. Mixing the black with the floral in the maxi dress works so well...super flattering.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love, love that maxi dress! Super cute on you, fit and style are perfect. The shingle dress is a great fit also and fit looks perfect!! You are so ready for spring and summer!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks like you knocked both dresses out of the ballpark for sure! Both dresses are very well made and fit perfectly! But, I have to say you are a knockout in your color block dress!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Both dresses are just perfection! Especially the second one--it looks so good. Love the color blocking.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love both dresses. They look great on you.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love both dresses. They look great on you.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love both dresses. They look great on you.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wowza!! Both of those dresses are amazing and look so fabulous on you. :D

    ReplyDelete
  17. I was really liking the first dress with the stripes and then I came to the floral dress. WOW!! It is truly stunning!! Love them both :D

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful.. SO proud you color blocked the last dress. It is just so pretty and looks great on you.. Happy sewing.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love both dresses. The maxi screams chic. And that last pose made me say Oh ho! Work it girl! :) It is truly stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love both dresses. The maxi screams chic. And that last pose made me say Oh ho! Work it girl! :) It is truly stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow! These 2 dresses look smashing on you! They show off your body beautifully. I must take a look at these patterns!

    ReplyDelete
  22. These are both really nice dresses. You really did a hot number with the black and floral stripe. I still want the grey dress with the shingles. I know what it feels like to forget these little shapes.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love, love, love those dresses--and your smile tells me you love them too. Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous!!! I really love them both!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I like them both. The last one is Hotchacha!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Both dresses are beautiful! I especially like the striped one.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Great dresses and a brilliant idea to colour block the maxi dress - I know you did it due to a fabric shortage, but the finished effect is so dramatic.

    ReplyDelete
  28. These are a real hit. Both are really cute.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Those dresses are absolutely fantastic.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I read each and every one; even if I don't have time to respond back!