Thursday, March 10, 2016

2 New Dresses: McCall's 6884 and Vogue 8904

I'm so happy with these two!

I'm not 100% sure I'm going to finish the contest but no matter, I am off to a great start for my casual summer wardrobe!!!

I first attempted V8904 December 2014 (here). It was a disaster.

Mostly due to the fabric but I've lost enough weight that the size I'd originally cut fits much better now.

I got the striped jersey awhile ago and it felt a little too heavy at first for this pattern. The front and back are a basic tank dress and then the shingles (4 front and back on this view) are added. That is quite a bit of layering. But once I started working with it, it proved to be a nicely behaved jersey. Bonus - the edges don't curl after cutting. Score!



I cut a size 16 with no changes. I cut the front piece out and then the shingles. I marked the underlayer by folding up the paper and then making a dotted line with a fabric marker.

The shingles are the same front and back. Sooooo I was cutting everything right side up, single layer and cut out ALL of the back shingles. Also right side up.


When I went to attach the back shingles I realized my error. DOH. I had to eek out those additional layers and just barely made it! WHEW! But that meant not having the 3/4 sleeves I envisioned.

I attached the shingles on the sewing machine and then basted front shingles to front and back to back. I then serged the side seams.

I made no attempt to stripe match but it seems it went okay. Score!




I am very happy with the dress! Very happy!!! 

McCall's 6884 has been made a couple of times before and just makes me super happy. It's only time consuming because of hemming the fronts but otherwise it's such a quick project with lots of bang for the buck IMO.



I cut a size 16 as per usual for this pattern. I added black bands to the neckline and armholes after deciding to go with a colorblocked option.

Remember a couple years ago when this striped/floral print was huge?! I managed to snag 2 yards of this nice ITY from Fabric Mart back in summer of 2014 and have been hoarding it. Well, 2 yards was not enough for a maxi dress! But 18-month sewer me didn't know that :)

I was all distraught and was going to go with a short option when I remembered the version I made here. Ahhhhh I can use solid black and that'll be awesome!!! 

I absolutely ADORE this dress! I am certain this will be a go-to option this summer!


My posture is so bad. I swear my side seam isn't that crooked (on the bodice) but POSTURE!


I just love the floral print over the black & white stripe



Little bit of a split there! :-O 

LOL! But it isn't open or doesn't open very high when you walk.

Love. Love. LOVE!!!  I will probably make another one and add a couple of inches to wear it with heels.