Monday, February 3, 2014

Party Wear and February MAGAM Challenge

Still feeling blah.

I did not sew this weekend. It was so horrid. I tried. I tried to go into the sewing room but I felt so weak and nauseous on Saturday that I just couldn't. Wahhhhhh! Makes me shudder at how the entire month of September I did not sew, I did not buy fabric, I did not buy patterns. It was all utterly depressing. I wanted so badly to go to JoAnn's on Saturday to use my 60% off fabric coupon but I couldn't.

I did start the cataloging of patterns though. I've already found a few that were not in PR and about 4 that I have duplicates of. Oops.

Friday when I left work I was on the search for a sparkly cardigan. I had 20 minutes. As I was driving I remembered I had to pass Clothes Mentor. It's like "Once Upon a Child" for grown ups! It's not really a consignment store...you sell your "gently worn" (I hate that term) clothing to them for pennies and they re-sell for profit. They do carry some designers (way overpriced, imo) and I've totally been told they don't take garments from like Target and Express yet I saw garments from Express/Limited (same, imo) and the dress I bought is a Mossimo dress! Oy!!

ANYWAY, I tried on like 7 dresses and they all had sausage effect. I was discouraged. I also did not want to pay $22 for a used Gap cardigan (it was silver and sparkly and cute but $22?!). I found this simple sheath in the XL section (I was initially looking in the M which is why everything was horrific, apparently) and it was only $8! EIGHT DOLLARS! Snatched it right up. I liked the way it fits too. Of course I noticed right away that the neckline is too big on me (gaped a bit at front and back) and the armscye was too low. hahahaha! But I don't seem to have the same problems finding RTW that fits as many of my fellow sewers so I will consider that a blessing. While slightly too big at the neckline/armhole, it fit very well in the bust, waist and hip. And the length was perfect. Totally taking measurements from this dress when I am ready to make a sheath.

**I got lots of positive comments about sewing a lined dress however, I do not like the Cambie! (sorry!). Any other contenders for first lined dress you all can think of?

I also was tsk tsk'ing the dress for not having facings. So I kept thinking the lining was going to turn out in the front. But it was $8! Paired with my fa-vor-ite teal suede pumps and stockings (I *LOVE* stockings, hate pantyhose, and these have cool silicone strips so they actually stay put and don't slide down! And I've owned this pair for years, and have no clue where I bought them. :sadface:)

Overexposed to show the metallic threads

Ignoring the cat hair that has made it's way on to the dress... :) A little detail shot

I heart these shoes!

As usual, it was a great party, the food was SPECTACULAR and I only had 2 deserts. ;-)

For February I was thinking a vest (which I may still make) but I really want this jacket for spring and I am willing spring to come by March 1st. (it totally won't but a girl can dream)

It's reissued in the US edition of Burda Style; one of the patterns that is available for download vs. traceable in the magazine. It was originally in the 10/2012 edition; the Illusion Jacket. It has ponte sleeves which I think is pretty cool. I'm using this wool blend boucle from Fabric.com and pongee lining from FabricMart. Although after getting this pic, I'm thinking the lining is too green and I need something with more blue. We will see.





 In other news, my sweater is well on it's way! This yarn is one of the nicest acrylics I've ever used; but now I'm wishing I would have used a superwash. I don't think this yarn will hold it's shape well...although I also don't think I'm going to love the sweater. BUT I knew a test knit would make me "just knit a dang sweater already" and I won't be afraid to go ahead and start another one with the nicer yarn that I have.