Using 1 yard of Snuggle flannel from JoAnn (which shrank quite a bit in width when washed - beware!), I cut it all nice and square, then sewed the long ends together (the ~42" length) and then serged. Then I turned the tube and sewed the short ends into a circle, leaving a space to turn it. Then I just used fusible on the opening. If I were giving it away I'd stitch it shut...but I hate hand sewing!
Something inside of me made me know - KNOW - that Burda 7283 would be a winner for me. When I bought this 2 yards of moleskin from Hancock, I had no clue what I'd make from it. I'd never worked with it before but liked it's suede-like feel. And I think I paid like $4/yd - win.
I cut a straight 16 based on finished hip measurement of 45". The waist was 33" I think. It sits at the natural waist. Now, I hadn't sewn a Burda pattern before and didn't know what to expect. Fit - yes. Instructions - holy cow.
There were 4 instructions. Four. Cuatro. Quatre.
ok, ok. I ran into a problem with the waistband facing and button band and basted and unstitched like SEVEN times!!! I finally said, forget it and knew it would 'ruin' the gorgeousness of my interior.
This skirt is everything. I want to lie next to it and rub it when I go to bed tonight. Seriously.
I love the front buttons but I should've followed my instincts and made the button band non-functional and inserted a zipper in the side or back seam. I had to stitch 2 snaps between the waistband and the first skirt button. But it's okay! I love it!!!!
The waistband has 2 rows of top stitching (I did 3) and I am in love with the look of it.
I was going to serge the interior seam but thought black would be too harsh against the navy. So I decided on a pretty finish. Yep. I used bias tape on all. the. seams. I used 6 yards of bias tape. OMG. But it's soooo pretty!!!
|At the waistband|
Sooo the ruined interior, yes, I knew you wouldn't forget. I don't know what in the heck was up with the facing. meh.
Next up is Simplicity 2255.
I don't have many details. I cut this at some point in the spring...maybe April. I was still very new to sewing, had no experience yet in making alterations for fit and didn't quite have much intuition with how things are constructed. The mandarin collar gave me FITS. I could not figure it out. This got thrown into the UFO bin and I'd forgotten about it. I did some cleaning up and organizing (more on that tomorrow) and when I put it on Lily I was pleasantly shocked by how well it fit. It even had button holes! So I endeavored to turn this UFO into a finished garment!
It's a straight size 14 and the fabric has some lycra in it. Otherwise, I'd need about a 1/2" FBA. And of course...that ole' swayback.
I love the neckline, love the fabric, love the slightly tinted white shade and love the buttons. I am totally wearing this to work tomorrow!!