Monday, December 23, 2013

Hits and Misses of 2013

Hey, I told you I like lists! And everyone was doing lists...so I wanna do lists. That's okay. Right??

Anyway, my favorite number is 7. So I will list my 7 most worn garments of 2013 and 7 duds or "FAILS". There are couple of things in my most worn that aren't necessarily in my top faves...but I get good mileage from them which is important. My duds are duds for whatever reason; poor fit, poor fabric choice or just plain 'meh'.
I started sewing in January (1 year sewing anniversary post to come next month!) so I don't have anything to compare to for number of garments sewn or fabric in/out. I bought a helluva lot of fabric and over 250 patterns. I bought a gazillion skillion notions. I now own 24 yards of fusible interfacing (doh!).

In 2013 I sewed 94 things. Oh My Gosh!!!!

I sewed
  • 16 kid things
  • 10 non garments (including my son's blanket to be blogged on 12/26!)
  • 3 garments for my daughter (including her Christmas gift to be blogged on 12/26!)
  • 65 garments for me
Of those 65 garments, I sewed:
  • 36 tops
  • 7 dresses
  • 6 skirts
  • 7 pants
  • 1 shorts
  • 5 jackets/cardigans
  • 1 other (jumpsuit)
Some of those items became pajamas. Some of them got tossed due to poor fabric choice (I'm looking at you fitted top made of 65 poly/35 cotton -aka- sweatbox). Some got tossed because I didn't know I needed an FBA and "just" made smaller seam allowances at the bust at which the fabric began to unceremoniously unravel (I loved that purple top too! NL 6104).

Some are still awaiting finishing (oops). Some are destined to be UFO's forever...

My top 7 self-made garments of 2013:

S2594

S2061

M6519

Both NL 6108 



Both M6844


NL 6230

KS 3115

Yes, my KS yoga pants already get a top mention!! They are awesome!

Honorable mention my S2054 dress/tunic. Love that dang thing!



My 2013 "fails"


NL 6025 - it's just too wide at the neck. I tried everything and short of removing the neckband and taking some pleats...I don't know about it. Though I liked it how I styled it below...I'm not sure if I want to work at it anymore...




M6604 - It just never got out the gate. It is 100% cotton though, maybe I'll revisit it in the summer.


M6752 - biggest disappointment. This pattern has been made SO many times and looks SO good on virtually everyone BUT me!


S1806 - the crazy top. They tell you to use something like a voile but really this would work better in a floaty fabric or maybe a thin ITY-esque knit.


S1783 - I shall not belabor the point on the poor brown skirt (Mom, I don't like that! Ugh! She has no filter)


B4132 - I should love this top but the fit just wasn't right. Perhaps it was my inexperience with slippery fabric?? It was completely bias cut and the cowl lies beautifully. Maybe not a "fail" at all...



M6084 - BLAH. MEH. GAH!!!! This "one hour pattern" was a wasted Saturday morning. Ugh!


"Honorable" mention to my M6083 jumpsuit. While I don't like it enough to wear it, I think I only need to make minor tweaks if I *did* decide to make one again. The fit was nice, the rest...eh.


There's a little more sewing going on before year end...Ooh, I should aim for 100 things sewn! :-) Err...cowls, pajamas, etc count!


Have a Merry Christmas to all who celebrate Christmas, Happy Holidays to those that celebrate other things and Happy Extra Day(s) Off Work to those who don't celebrate any of 'em! :-)

January 1 I'll post my "sewlutions" for 2014. Yippee!!