Sunday, December 22, 2013

Updated Skirt Pics and Finished Items: M6886 and Kimono Tee

So, don't mind my random grey tank...I liked the burnt orange with the brown...

I don't hate it as much, but I still don't love it :/


eh.

I also needed to sew today. Y'all know what I'm talking about...when you NEED to sew. When life is throwing lemons at you and it's the only thing that'll keep you sane!!! 

I was going to start a more complex top but didn't want to deal with possible frustration. I made another Kimono Tee in this CRAZY INSANE kinda different burnout, weird knit from FabricMart. It's animal prints and plaids and circles and crazy!! Sooo you have to make something super crazy simple. Enter my 1 yard, 1 hour pattern. I lengthened it 2 inches and tried to do rouching/shirring/gathering/whatever on the side seams. I just winged it and shirred 5" of fabric with a 3" length of 3/8" elastic. 




Now, you may ask why I have a bow on my shirt? Well, I accidentally cut it because apparently...that's what I do. So...at first I was going to put a button there but it didn't fit but somehow, a bow does.

Then, I had to make something else and decided on a new pattern from the McCall's spring lineup.

M6886 is a t-shirt dress with round or v-neck, 3 different sleeve lengths, and 3 (I think) dress lengths. It's such a simple pattern which makes it easy to showcase your knit of choice. I had picked up this fabric from SR Harris awhile back. I could've sworn it was weightier like a double knit, but it's kind of thin. The print is crazy and the color isn't something I'd normally choose, but I like it!





(I don't know why this pic is so crappy...)


This weekend, I also "made" a blanket for my son for Christmas. When I first learned of the fleece tie blanket craze, I made like, 1 for everyone! But my son's was made with just over 1 yard of fabric and he complained ever since. Then one day, I sent it home with my nephew who didn't have on a coat when the temperature dropped. So he lugs his bed comforter down to the basement all the time.

I had such a tough time finding a fabric suitable for his 14 year old self!!! I went with a checkerboard (sorry, it's already wrapped) black & white, backed with solid black fleece. I serged around the entire blanket (holy buckets!!) with white thread. It's huge. I went with 2 1/2 yards so it should be plenty big for wrapping up on the couch.

Then I spent many hours on Friday and Sunday making this Lekala jacket for my daughter. Oy. Here's a little preview and full review to come after Christmas. I think the fit of the finished garment is really of the most concern with Lekala, so I want to know it worked out before reviewing it!



I have four projects in my head that I want to get done. Can they be cranked out before year end?!? :)
Burda skirt in navy moleskin
Burda tank in ivory cotton/silk voile
Vogue pants in a black/white/blue/green plaid (it isn't that crazy. the blue and green are very subtle)
New Look top in purple cotton shirting