Thursday, January 9, 2014

Finished Item: Sew Simple 1523

When I first started sewing, I had no clue the chain stores ran these pattern sales, and I just knew I would never have any of them because I wasn't going to pay $12, $15, $25 for a pattern. So it was all New Look, See & Sew and Sew Simple.

I have a few of these $.99 Sew Simple patterns and finally made one up.

I had these beauties on hand and needed a quick sewing fix


Sew Simple 1523 courtesy of "Nana27" on pattern review!



I hadn't yet hemmed it. I was too excited.





Cute shoulder pleats that help the cowl look more drapey. Yes, drapey is a word!




My subpar ruching. But I don't care! It looks cute on me!


So, yeah, I pretty much LOVE this top!!! It went together in maybe 3 hours, tops. From cutting the pattern out, to clipping the last threads. I am smitten. I want more. More. More! I cut a size 14, finished measurements on the 14 was 39.5" bust and 33.75" waist. My measurements are around 39"/34" so barely any ease.

The fabric is some rayon knit from SR Harris. It is really, really soft and has nice recovery. I will be wearing this top to work tomorrow!!


Fabric: $6.75
Thread: $1



I went into Hancock to find thread for that green and teal(?) fabric above since Gutermann was on sale for 40% off. My Hancock has a sucky selection of Gutermann (compared to JoAnn) and I couldn't find anything in the neighborhood of those colors. So no thread. But their remnants were 50% off! And the remnants are always $2/yd sooooo they were $1/yd!

I got ALL of these for $4.98


The two blues are the same fabric and I think I'm going to make this Lekala sweatshirt with it


Yes, my original plan for jackets still stands and now that I have a successful project underway I can feel the mojo rising! :)

Also, pics of me in my S2255 top:






20 comments:

  1. Love the gray top! It looks great on you. Very flattering.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That drape is great! Lots of times cowls are super low but this one isn't. :) Looks great on you. I might have to get that pattern now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Kyle! It is at a very good place. I am always worried about draped front or crossover tops exposing too much; especially when you're uhmm, endowed. :) but this is not revealing at all!

      Delete
  3. Love both your tops. They look great on you. How do you manage to produce so many garments? Do you ever sleep?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jean Margaret! :)

      I do sleep! I am still in my newbie rebellion though...I just GO for it!

      Delete
  4. Whoa! That knit top is amazing! Digging the chambray too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love these!!!! I am sure I want them both :) And I went to a Hancock for the 1st time on a trip to GA over the holidays... their Gutterman thread options were basically nothing. But the Vogue patterns on sale are cheaper then Jo@ann! And there was a ridiculous amount of really inexpensive interesting fabric.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you'd like the Sew Simple top. It would suit you!

      I am SO lucky to be within 10 minutes of both (actually 2 JA and 1 Hancock). I can take advantage of their sales -and- they price match when the other is having a pattern sale!

      Delete
  6. All of them are so nice. You do beautiful work. I buy a lot of my patterns from McCalls.com BMV club. Its a discount club and when they go on sale, you get them even cheaper. I bout 11 patterns this morning for $39.00 Check them out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Melanie! I have considered joining BMV. Maybe sometime this year. If I had a membership I would have definitely ordered those few Vogue's instead of waiting for the sale to come back around.

      Delete
  7. nice job on the blouse! once we discover sales it's easy to become a pattern junkie lol! as a matter of fact Hancocks will have a sale on them next week lol! you can always keep up with their sales by checking their sales ads, this leads to more pattern buys! lol!

    http://www.hancockfabrics.com/Weekly-Sales-Ad_stcVVcatId554260VVviewcat.htm

    Helen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Helen! I agree. I soon found out about the sales and have patterns coming out of my ears! :)

      Delete
  8. You have such joy in your sewing that it's fun to watch each piece emerge from your sewing machine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Carolyn! That makes me smile :)

      Delete
  9. Love that grey top, I'm sure I've overlooked it, but now it's on my must have. Thanx!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is like the best of all worlds! It's fast! It doesn't use a lot of fabric and it fits nicely!!

      I had that green knit pegged for something else but why mess up a good thing?! :)

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I read each and every one; even if I don't have time to respond back!