Monday, January 6, 2014

Finished Item S2255

Soooo ...my husband and I are separating. I can say that, I have a hard time with the D word, even if I am "okay" with it.

Roller. Coaster.

This will likely be the first and last time I mention it here. But I really enjoy the sewing community and reading everyone's blogs and commenting and everything so; if when I go off the rails, you will know why.

I haven't been in the cave :( but I did knit. I knit so much yesterday that my wrist is on fire. I should stop. But it's a pretty sweater! It's my first sweater!! And because it's primarily just stockinette, it is completely mindless so...


Last weekend I finished my other Simplicity 2255 top. I now want to make it in plaid (because plaid is awesome). I do not love the mandarin collar though. Maybe because I have a short neck...but I love the fit of this top. I am going to use it to compare to other button front shirts because, except for the pooch of fabric mid back (which I *think* I know how to fix) it fits really, really well.

I even did an FBA! The white fabric was much stretchier than I originally thought and this is a tightly woven shirting cotton so I completely effed up altered my front pattern piece to do an 1/2" FBA. And still ended up using 1/2" SA instead of 5/8" so perhaps I need 3/4"?? This was my first FBA.

The only issue I have and I'm surprised I did this...I just put the sleeve snaps where they indicated on the sleeve vs checking the fit. They are too high up to me. But I really love the fit and am sure I'll wear it.

Oh and I also got scared to top stitch because my top stitching leaves much to be desired.



Front



 
Close up of snaps
 
 
Back
 
 
Collar
 
 
Sleeve snap
 
 
Showing off my set-in sleeve. I'm getting pretty good at this!! I finished up and had a tiny pleat. So I ripped about 2 inches of stitching out to redo it. And then I ended sewing part of the sleeve in place. So I ripped out about 4 inches of stitches and resewed it. OY!
 


Regarding attaching the snaps; I was warned to practice, practice, practice. So I did. I realized I didn't have a very good surface at home for support, so I brought them to work and used the bench in the chemistry lab. Excellent application of the snaps.

Except...Oops.

I applied the "female" side of the snaps backwards. Do you know how hard it is to pull snaps out?! I pulled them all out, steamed the heck out of the shirt and reattached.

Ooops.

I placed the snaps according to the button placement on my white version. But buttonholes allow some degree of difference. Snaps do not. They didn't line up. Like, they were off about 1/4". Do you know how hard it is to pull snaps out TWICE?!

So uhmm, yeah. Labor of love for sure.

Again, a cute, casual shirt that just may be in the running for this years One Pattern Many Looks contest. There are so many ways you can work this pattern. It has 4 sleeve options, 2 lengths, the option of doing side ties or tabs, sleeve ties or tabs, ruffled front, pockets...endless opportunities.

I have my M6844 cardigan about 85% done. Just need to get my mojo up. Until next time...

Thanks in advance for any supportive comments :)


1.5 yards of cotton/poly shirting: $3
Snaps: $3 (wasted a whole pack!)
Thread: stash
Total: $6