Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Jacket Schmacket. Work on Butterick 5927

I want jackets. Several jackets.


I was all set to sew jackets and then lost my mojo and then L (of YouSewGirl) and I were gonna do a sew-along but my mojo was lost and then I saw HER in progress KLM jacket (go look!) and decided to make a jacket.

But then I chickened out on a jacket with notched collar and lapels and all that and went to Butterick 5927

B5927

And cut it out of this denim look suiting that I decided was too stiff for pants. And then I started to set the sleeve. And then no amount of easing was working. And then...boooo!!

I started a PR thread and also L gave me some tips with the fleece bias strip as a header. So I quickly tried on one sleeve the bias strip and on the other trimming the sleeve cap.

I think I need to trim a *tiny* bit off the cap (maybe 1/4" or maybe even using a smaller sleeve size) and use the fleece strip. Here are a bunch of in progress pics

No changes:



With shoulder pad (a MUST now that I see how good it looks)





After trimming the cap:
(it hangs funny as I trimmed too much off)

One trimmed sleeve (which is set well) and one fleece bias stripped sleeve (which looks scary)



Soooo I think I will trim the sleeve cap down AND set it with the fleece as this jacket is lined. More later!
 

10 comments:

  1. I am in mode of wanting a pile of jackets/coats right now, too. I want one for every reason and weather situation. So it's so nice to watch others progress with them now!! I'm starting with a rain proof medium weight trench style coat in a black wool blend. I'm waiting for all my bits and bobs to come in the mail.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I just ordered some black water repellant fabric from FM to make a jacket more for spring.

      Now, it was -15 when I woke up today so "spring" may well be May but still! ;) Can't wait to see it!

      Delete
  2. Your jacket is coming along nicely! I really like the pattern you're using--a zippered jacket like that wouldn't have my coworkers asking if I was going on a job interview the way that they would if I showed up to the office in a blazer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :) Me too. I would not wear a traditional blazer to work...it would be out of place. Even if I really really want a traditional blazer. I do want to make jackets like this or sort of cropped blazer styles.

      I got some more good advice on PR and will be making a muslin (GASP!) of my sleeve so I can make sure it's "right"

      Delete
  3. Good call on Butterick 5927. A simple jacket for a first piece of outwear is the best. I tried to make a trench coat on my first go and well, that was a bad idea. Yours looks great so far. What kind of lining do you plan to use?

    I feel you on the sleeve stuff. I still haven't quite grasped the whole sleeve head thing without multiple tries. There was a post on the Mood Sewing Network that mentioned trimming the excess on sleeve caps: http://www.moodsewingnetwork.com/party-dress-in-carolina-herrera-blue-silk-brocade

    Had it not been for that post, my trench coat would not have sleeves right now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel your pain. I'm working on a jacket, too. But in sweater knit, what was I thinking? At least your jacket has some structure and will ultimately look good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know you will find a way to make this jacket look as good as everything else you make!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmm...how taut did you pull the bias fleece? Kenneth D. King suggests stretching the fleece very hard. I think this can cause more puckers that are hard to press out. The bias strip is supposed to help pull in the ease naturally; we only need to help it along a little.

    Can you compare this sleeve cap to the one from your other jacket?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Best wishes on your coat.. I think cutting off some of the sleeve cap, really helped..
    Can't wait to see it ,when your finshed

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks everyone!!

    L, I tried again and the fleece worked beautifully. Eased that sleeve cap perfectly!!

    Hope to have it finished this weekend!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I read each and every one; even if I don't have time to respond back!