But I got lots of good feedback and suggestions and decided I'd dive right in with a simple pattern (well...something with no more than 2 or 3 pattern pieces) to get me going.
I have to say, I was most inspired by Kathy. I decided, okay, that sounds most like what I'd do so I'm going to go with that!
So since I was inspired by Kathy (and not inspired to make a skirt - it was -25F here on Monday!), I decided I'd make the "crazy" draped top from the February issue.
Yes, I thought to myself...that is a crazy and impractical shirt. And then I saw Kathy's and thought...wow that's pretty dang cute! And Kathy is way more pear than I am but I decided it would look pretty dang good on me too!
Then I found out that Chris at Handmade by Chris had made it and hers was pretty dang cute too!!
I woke up on Saturday and it was bright and sunny (and cold!). I spent more time locating my pieces than I should've because I don't follow directions.
"OH!", I exclaimed, "that red 21 tells me where the pattern piece is!"
Now, I have a little secret that perhaps other Burda Style mag tracers already knew...THE TRACING PART ISN'T THAT BAD! Seriously! It's like the other lines just kind of disappear and "yours" is the only one you focus on!
I buy my tracing paper from Blick Art Supply in Minneapolis (HERE). I get a 24" wide, 50 yard roll for under $10. It's $15 and I have almost always had a 40% off coupon when I go. My latest coupon expires next week so I need to hurry and restock! I use my very nice mechanical pencil that got me through my last two years at the U of M and the plethora of science, engineering and math classes. I like pencils!
When I located my pattern pieces I drew intersecting lines _| at places where the pattern "turned". This helped me stay on track. At one point, navigating a curve, I had moved from the size 42 (second largest) to a size 38 (second smallest). When I didn't reach my intersecting lines I realized I'd messed up. No worries! Just erase and get back on track!
It took less than 10 minutes to trace the pieces.
Now. What did I do next? I set them aside and when I came back I knew there was *something* but couldn't place it. And I cut the pattern pieces out. With no seam allowances! Oooops.
I decided, No Worries! It's a knit and needs minimal sa. I'll just cut them when I am cutting the fabric. I cut approximately (:snicker:) 3/8" sa and hit the serger.
Oops. Doesn't work if you sew the wrong parts together.
Luckily I hadn't cut the sleeves so that was a minimal piece of the white knit ruined. Ok. slooooow down. Kathy has graciously put an excellent little pictorial on how to do the drape. I got out this odd green knit that I'd gotten in a FM bundle but didn't love. I recut my pieces and sewed them CORRECTLY.
The verdict? love. So much so that you can't get good daylight pics...just basement pics. Because I love it!
It is short though. I have a tiny, tiny hem. Like I turned it up 3/8" and stitched 1/4"
The neckband was supposed to be 29 7/8". In my head I had 29 3/8" and I didn't need to stretch it really at all. So I think that it is drafted a little too long and you might want to measure and draft your own.
But I serged it in place and did a little edgestitching to secure the serger stitches.
(the hem photo shows the color more truly)
It's so weird but CUTE!
Luckily I have a short torso so there is no belly action
Even Lily looks good in it:
Sleeves were turned up 3/4" and stitched with a 5/8" hem
This is what he does when he visits me in the sewing room...he serges! LOL! I know it isn't the sewing, it's the power of the serger. I am repeatedly telling him to "slow down" and it's like he's 4 all over again! :-)
But this time he used the sm too