Friday, August 1, 2014

Mini Wardrobe & Randomness

This is the composite as posted on PR. I haven't gotten a chance to wear the blazer yet (probably because it got buttons RIGHT before these photos were taken...

But I've worn the shorts multiple times, I've worn the fun drape top twice, I wore my new dress today (and felt pretty dang fabulous all day!) and my grey tshirt is packed to go on the road.

I call this mini wardrobe a success, win or lose.

(ooh! Speaking of winning; I didn't know that volunteering as a contest manager got me a gift. I will be the last person on earth to make the Minoru but I will be making it!! Hopefully this fall, if not, for spring)


**************
Next up, Molly of Toferet's Empty Bobbin has put together a Meet up for us up here in the tundra! yay!!!!

We'll be getting together on Saturday, September 13th! There's a Facebook group HERE where you can get details. 

**************
Finally...

My name is Nakisha, and I am a sewing addict.

We know I have an issue with not buying fabric. Well that addiction spreads right on to patterns.

When I first started I had my patterns stored in like 2 of these bins. I would flip through them, pull them out, dream a little dream...you know the drill.

Well as the stash grew (and grew and grew), I organized by category (skirts/pants, tops, dress, jackets/coats, miscellaneous, etc). NOW, I have, ahem, quite a few and I no longer sort through them like I used to. I have all of my patterns catalogued on Pattern Review. I love this because I have easy access to the info, even on the go. I like that you can sort by company, by category, or both. You can print your list. And most importantly, you can see right there at a glance how many times it's been reviewed.

So my current way is to search through my patterns online and THEN I head to the stash. So it only made sense to reorganize them by company name and pattern number. The only "issue" I've really had lately if say, I bought a pattern for the top but then decide to make the pants. Well, it's stored under "tops" so I end up confused. No biggie...but this way will be easier and make more sense, imo.

I pulled them ALL out and uhmm, yeah. It got real over here.


45 minutes later they were all sorted. 
Butterick has 1 bin. 
Simplicity and McCall's each have 2 bins. Simplicity is going on bin #3. (I won't tell you that after doing this I went to Hancock and bought 10 Simplicity patterns. Shhhhhh). 
Vogue and Kwik Sew are in another. 
Burda/New Look/Sew Simple/Jalie (1)/Sewaholic (1).

PDF's are currently stored in zip lock bags and in one box all together. It's not neat but...it works!

22 comments:

  1. I love your capsule wardrobe. My favorite is the green blazer over the gray dress. My patterns also overfloweth.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also sort by company. It's just easier for me to find things that way. And seeing this green blazer again is making me give serious consideration to trying that pattern again! I have some navy ponte that would be perfect...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, you will have a great time sewing the Minoru! I have seen a lot of versions of that jacket, and they all turned out nice. Your mini wardrobe is awesome, btw! Also, what a great pattern storage idea. Yet, how do you store your patterns once you have sewn them? I am trying to find some great sized sturdy manila folders for mine. That is where most of my mess comes from.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You just should go ahead and invest in one of those Rubbermaid drawer thingies like this:
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sterilite-5-Drawer-Tower-Set-of-2-White/15940594
    It might work better for you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad you stuck with the mini wardrobe - it looks great:).

    I think you have about the same number of patterns as me - and like me, still need more :). The best thing that happened was the $2.00 sales - we just flock to those sales, and buy, often, more of the same :).

    Great idea having the catalogue on PR.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, your mini wardrobe is amazing. I love the gray dress with the blazer. You did any amazing job. And whoa! What a pattern stash! It's such a great idea to have your catalog online.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am in awe of your patterns stash! Clearly the reason for your impressive output.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the mini wardrobe looks! I think that whole bottom row are my favorite looks. Yay for meeting up in the Tundra! Ever since an acquaintance showed me the awesome tattoo he got in Minneapolis, I've been wanting to visit and get one of my own. And your pattern stash is quite reasonable....there's a thread on PR where members admit to having two and three thousand patterns, or some other crazy high number.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I voted! Love your mini wardrobe, and your pattern cataloging strategy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So pretty -- I voted on PR for you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like your mini wardrobe. I could see me wearing those pieces. I'm one of those crazy addicts who has well over a 1000 patterns, so I know how hard it is to keep track of them.. But I added a category to my catalog book and labeled it SEPARATES for those patters that has multiple pattern garments such as a top and pants together. Maybe that might work for you too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love how your mini-wardrobe turned out! It's so cute, stylish, and totally wearable. I think that the green blazer is my favorite individual piece.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your mini-wardrobe turned out awesomely! Every piece looks wearable and totally stylin'! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a fabulous wardrobe! I love the dress and green jacket. I too have too many patterns...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love your mini wardrobe..Just perfect...
    I too, have lots of patterns.. Trying to refrain from buying more, however, everytime Hancocks has a sale..guess where I head? ha I have mine sorted by dress, pants, shorts, blouses.. etc.. But, really need to sort by company ..Would be so much easier to find..

    ReplyDelete
  16. Heh heh on the patterns getting real. I want to purge my patterns soon. I like them to fit in the space I already have allotted for them.

    Your mini wardrobe looks GREAT!

    ReplyDelete
  17. (singsong voices in the meeting room chime in) Hi Nakisha!

    Hi, my name is Stephanie and I am a pattern addict! I have a lot more patterns than fabric, and I have a lot of fabric. My teen age son and I are going to sort through the cabinets this next month and I will be destashing about half of it

    (falls on floor and writhes in pain just thinking about it)

    Eh, I get to keep all the patterns......

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your mini wardrobe is a winner for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your wardrobe is great and that Kelly Green is my fav :) I have separate bins for my patterns too.... There are quite a few of them (but we won't go there, lol).
    I am so, so, so disappointed that I am in Milwaukee the weekend of the sewing meet up :( I've been pouting for-ev-er over here but we had these Brewers tickets since the beginning of the season and they are row 7.... on Robin Yount Bobblehead day.... so hubs would kill me.... But I'm dying inside about missing the day with you all!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Whoa...pattern overload! I've been sewing for *cough* 18 years *cough* and probably have about as many as you (mine are also in 5 boxes now, and not all of them completely full). Though, it's only been in the last year or two that I've started buying pretty much every Big4 pattern that I like.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Cute mini wardrobe! You have soooooo many patterns

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a great mini wardrobe - great color combination. I love the blazer, especially.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I read each and every one; even if I don't have time to respond back!