Sunday, September 20, 2015

Sewing Repeats; McCall's 6886 and Lekala 5871

First, thank you, thank you, thank you for all the great feedback on my Minoru! I normally reply to comments but didn't get a chance to stay on top of them.

We had a couple of really rainy days so I've gotten a chance to wear it - yay!

Right at the start of the month I made M6708 and have yet to review it because I couldn't do the buttonholes. I need to get it finished!!! Well, I'd used a contrasting fabric for the bands thanks to great advice from Instagram sewing friends, and then decided to make a simple knit dress from the contrast fabric!

I used M6886, which I made when it first came out in 2013. I didn't like the fabric and sent the dress to my mom, who loves it! So, win!

This went together really fast...


I can't find my selfie remote so poor mirror pics it is...SORRY!

I made no size changes from last time; 14 through the neck/shoulders, 16 through the bust/waist and an 18 hip. 

I did add a neck binding by measuring around subtracting about 20%. My band is 23.25" by 2.5" for the size 14 neck.

I had tried it on with a bunch of sweaters and jackets and was all prepared to take pics today but 1) I can't find my remote! and 2) I don't really feel well. So pictures on Lily!



With denim jacket, emerald B5926, red-orange cardigan, M6708 cardigan

After sewing my Minoru, I decided I wanted to use this striped ponte for another version. 





This fabric is so much thicker that the need for a swayback adjustment is much more evident. 

Initially, I sewed smaller seam allowances but it just looked sad. It is a fitted dress so if you wanted a looser fit, you'd need to remove some of the curvature from the pattern. Otherwise it just looks like you have on a too-big dress. I ended up nipping the hip curve in a little more. 

I used the shorter sleeve length from the pattern; but I ended up shortening it another 3 inches. It hit me at a weird spot.

I added 3" to the length and then hemmed it about 1.25". I did a 1" hem on the sleeves and used the same neck binding measurement as before.

With the same jackets/cardigans:


It really did look cute with the polka-dot cardigan!!!! 

At some other point (the days run together...) I'd worn my khaki Lekala skirt and decided I should have a dark floral denim one for fall.

I could not find a dark floral that I like. I even checked Fabric.com in desperation!!!! Nothing at FabricMart, nothing at Mood, nothing at Hancock, and again out of desperation I checked JoAnn! 


I was cleaning the sewing room and found this cut of fabric that I'd forgotten about. I had 1.25 yards of it so a straight skirt was pretty much the only option for it. I think I initially bought it for shorts.

Lekala 5871

As before, I lengthened the skirt 2 inches because I eliminated the bottom band. I left off the pockets and belt loops this time as well. And I reversed which side was the fly. 


I did a great job matching the "outside" of the yoke to skirt. But didn't account for the darts. DANG IT! :) I still love it though!


Paired with my M7093 wrap top and a denim jacket. I also like it with a white top but otherwise didn't like any light-colored tops with it. Maybe because I'm thinking fall and boots??

I had a really productive sewing days Friday evening and yesterday...but today I am sidelined. When your kids love you too much...you get their cooties!

*all fabric from FabricMart

30 comments:

  1. Wow--you're getting quite the wardrobe. Love the pics with the various looks just by changing jackets. I think you are ready to be teaching others to sew. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!!

      I think I finally know the direction I want my wardrobe to go in and yes, it lit a sewing fire under me :) Oh my family will tell you I am not equipped to teach anyone anything. HAHA! I am so impatient!

      Delete
  2. I'm impressed with how productive you are and wonder how do you find the time? Love, love the striped dress and I don't think the sleeves hit at a weird spot. I understand getting cooties working at a school, it is always that ones that are feeling under the weather that come to give a hug. Hope you and the kids get well soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Graca - this is after shortening them 3"!

      We've got soup and ginger ale and crackers...and lots of cough drops!

      Delete
  3. Hello; loving your entire wardrobe capsule. Now you've got me thinking stripped knit dress with jackets. Thanks a bunch for the sewing inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! I think I was driven to the striped dress because of my new fur vest. I saw a combo with those and was all I HAVE TO HAVE ONE! :) And of course, it is a great fit in the wardrobe in general!

      Delete
  4. These are all super terrific! I love the cardigan and the print/solid combo, then putting over the stripey dress. Is that a RTW denim jacket? It's been on my mind to sew one up, I even have a Burda envelope pattern & the denim sitting since last winter in my stash.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!

      Yep. Scored from the thrift store for $5 :)

      I think I'll make one some day...

      Delete
  5. Looking great! I especially love the knit dresses, perfect for any occasion.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loving the dresses. I have that pattern and I was thinking of doing it in a stripe scuba...but I don't know if i want a very fitted dress. Anyway great wardrobe building!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love all of this and can you believe I haven't come across McCall's 6886 before but now I've googled it I can see heaps of bloggers I follow have made it and it's so great. Definitely adding to the list for the next Spotlight sale here in Australia. Love your blog and your style rocks!

      Delete
    2. Yes, there are SO many versions of it! Sew it up! :)

      Delete
  7. I love your knit dresses, I really wish knit dresses suited me!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Whoops just accidentally did my comment as a reply above, but see above. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Whoops just accidentally did my comment as a reply above, but see above. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very nice pieces! Your sewing machine is working overtime! (As well as your wonderful creativity!) I also love how you paired everything too! Sorry you're not well and hope you feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Myra!!! Feeling a bit better today!

      Delete
  11. I love your wardrobe capsule! Lots of inspiration here.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great collection of garments and love the pairing possibilities.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! Yes, I really have to stop creating so many orphans!

      Delete
  13. Love your knit dresses. Such great additions to your wardrobe.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your weardrobe (I was going to correct this spelling mistake, but really, I think it shows the combination of wearable and wardrobe that was running through my head!) is certainly coming together nicely. I just adore the Lekala skirt on you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sarah Liz! :) I am so happy that I finally have a clear direction in my mind for my weardrobe! :-D

      Delete
  15. These are some great quick makes that are so versatile to wear. I love how you styled the dresses with different tops.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I read each and every one; even if I don't have time to respond back!