Wednesday, January 20, 2016

McCall's 7194; Take 2

It's been a month since I sewed the first version! How does time manage to move that fast?!

I really wanted to give view A a shot (and potentially in some yummy wool jersey I've got in stash) and while organizing my fabric on New Year's Day, I came across this remnant from the dress I made my daughter for her senior photos. I realized it had that same *just* off white color as my recent M7199 cardigan and put them in a bin to become a raglan sweatshirt.

But then I decided I needed this 'white' top to be more work appropriate. I was all woe is me because I didn't have enough of the solid for the front, sleeves and cowl, but had plenty of the textured fabric, and had written the project off.

Well, DUH! I can use the textured for the front and back and just do 'contrasting' sleeves and cowl. Sheesh! :)

I still had to adjust for lack of fabric and folded out 2" of the cowl. It doesn't drape as much, but it still works.

I did a cheater FBA by pivoting and sliding because I knew this fabric had very little stretch. I ended up using 1/4"(!) seam allowances.



This fabric hardly stretches so it's snug but not uncomfortable

The lacy fabric is so pretty :)

I whipped this up SO FAST! I had the entire thing constructed on the serger in like 30 minutes. Then another half hour to do the hemming with a twin needle. Gotta love those quick and dirty projects.

Next up I'll be working on DDs dress muslin. I got the Burda bodice all traced off and plan to cut out the paper pattern tonight, cut out the muslin tomorrow, and sew up the muslin Friday/Saturday.

I'm excited! :-)

21 comments:

  1. I swear if it wasn't sew cold I'd make another one of these!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh and I really like this one - hit the send button to fast!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a nice classic! It will serve you well, I'm sure. The lacy textured fabric is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, that lacy fabric is so pretty - nice! This top looks like something you can get a lot of wear out of.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tomasa! I'm wearing it today - so snuggly!

      Delete
  5. Love the fabric.. Great way to use up your left over stash.Happy sewing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a very cute to Nakisha! I love the use of the two different fabrics, it created a super nice looking top! This would be a nice staple for your wardrobe and can be worn so many ways and with so many different pieces! Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh this is very nice, I'm going to have to check out this pattern. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Graca! I do think it's a pattern you'd like!

      Delete
  8. Looks good, nothing quite like an instant sewing fix :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love this top. Great job making it out of leftover fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm about to make this pattern. And I'm actually thinking about the pointy hem after your last version. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love that top--the textured fabric really makes it a standout!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just love lace lol. I really need to get over my fear of sewing white fabrics. it's pretty irrational.
    I think I like your thinned cowl neck a little better than the original. nice job :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. This sweater is cute and is going to come in awfully handy.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That fabric is soooo pretty! This is a great top for cold weather :D

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I read each and every one; even if I don't have time to respond back!