Saturday, January 23, 2016

PR Wardrobe Contest & Fabric Mart Blog

I can't NOT participate in the PR Wardrobe contests - it's my favorite!!! :) 

So even though I'm going to have a busy couple of months (the contest runs Feb 1 - Mar 31), I just have to do it. Now, I had already planned to sew a new casual summer wardrobe this year. I have never quite gotten around to it as envisioned...or I end up sewing stuff that can also be worn to work.

I have a lot of work clothes (a lot). So while I'm not saying I won't sew anything for work for spring/summer - I really needed some weekend wear. 

I really want (need) to sew from stash so I'd initially got out fabrics that would work together and chose the patterns after that. And ended up with a plan that I loved. For work! The only thing in my original plan that wasn't also appropriate for work was a pair of shorts and a romper/jumpsuit.

So I revamped the plan to focus on what I want for summer and then had a big ole fabric picking fest last night. (Too tired to sew...son has been sick and I think he's shared with mama). 




There's a good mix here; 4 patterns that I've made before (jumpsuit, dress, sleeveless top, shirt), 2 Burda patterns, and a couple that's been on my radar for awhile (like the McCall's culotte shorts and the Butterick skirt).

**I switched out a Burda blouse for the Simplicity 2255 shirt in chambray

Okay, yes, there's a blazer :) BUT that is really needed and a white blazer makes an excellent topper for work and play (that's my story and I'm sticking to it!).

Simplicity 1070 won't be as cropped as the pattern/image suggests. I will lengthen as needed. And from the reviews out there, McCall's 6965 will need at least 2" added in length.

I'm cutting it very close on McCall's 6884 and the striped/floral fabric. If I have to, I will make the shorter dress (I don't want to though!!!)

The only thing I'll need to shop for is stretch lining for the white jacket (I'm using a cotton lycra twill that has more stretch than I remember) and buttons for it. All other notions will come from stash.

Here are the fabrics (plus solid black for the cropped top and contrast band on the skirt)

Stripe/floral ITY, Navy/white diamond print ITY, Floral print Rayon Challis
Cobalt blue poly crepe  blue chambray, White stretch cotton twill, Pink ITY
Red with white cross threads chambray, Black/white ponte, Bone cotton twill

I'm excited!

Head over to the Fabric Mart blog to see my project this month!!! :) 

I chose Simplicity 8014 (that new shirtdress!) in this bright, whimsical cotton poplin.


(and this is my 400th post! WOW!)

31 comments:

  1. That dress looks wonderful on you. The colors, the cut, everything! ~Martina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice plan and already commented to say love the shirt dress. Question: can you repeat a pattern in the wardrobe contest? Or do they have to be 10 separate patterns do you know?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Manju I'm pretty sure you can do repeats! It just has to be 10 garments and meet the other rules

      Delete
  3. Love your plan! The colors all go so well together. I wish I was good at pairing colors. You certainly have an eye for it. I can't believe you are thinking ahead to summer already.... LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kristin!!

      Only because summer is a blip! If I don't start early I never will get it done!

      Delete
  4. I love your plan, and am sure it's gonna look fabulous in the end!! The fabrics you chose are awesome too. Last, the shirt dress fits beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How exciting!! I love your sassy and summer wardrobe plan.. Have fun.. And best wishes.
    Hope you and son, feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are a prolific writer as well as seamstress.

    400 posts! How many garments across those 400 posts?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! I don't know but definitely 200+!

      Delete
  7. Can't wait to see it completed - and see you WIN the challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This should be interesting! You have such a love of wardrobe sewing that I'm sure you'll finish it and the collection will be amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great contest - time frame is not so bad either. Simple things should make up quickly. And as you have a hole in your wardrobe for weekend wear, this should fill the gap. Going to look good. Love the shirtdress too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sarah Liz! I'm really excited to get these things in my closet (and for the snow to melt!) :)

      Delete
  10. I wish I had a stash with so many coordinating fabrics! I would have to buy ten lengths of fabric to do this--not happening!! With the pattern review contests do you win anything? I believe you came in second last year... here's to first in 2016!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Allie!!

      You do win something! I haven't even checked who is sponsoring this year but last year I won $75 to fabric mart!

      Delete
  11. Congratulations on your 400th post! You are such an inspiration!! I love your summer wardrobe - the colors all work well together and it has a nice, crisp vibe. Can't wait to see all those items completed!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your plan, great combination of patterns and fabrics! I plan to participate as well, but need to at least post something for the pattern stash contest first. I have planned out my items though so far, that's been really fun, hopefully I don't completely change my mind by the time it starts on Feb.1st.
    Also, I love your dress, I left a comment over on the FabricMart blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Levone!! I do hope you participate!

      Delete
  13. Wow! You are the master! You skills are amazing! Everything you sew is very professional. Congratulations on your 400th post! I'm so glad I found your Blog. I look forward to being inspired and learning from you. I'm loving your plan. This is so exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congrats on your 400th post! That's a hefty achievement. :) I like your wardrobe plan. Can't wait to see it all sewn up.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a fun plan and those fabrics! LOve the florals especially. Very pretty shirt dress, too. You look wonderful in it .

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love your fabric choices! And it looks like you've got some great options there too.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very nice projects you have planned and I love your fabric selections, they're all beautiful! WOW! you're killing it with the blog posts… I've been blogging since 2010 and only have 153 you have almost tripled my numbers in less time! However, I am loving your posts and learning a lot from you! I feel like you're the "energizer bunny" of anything sewing related! Good luck in the contest! I'll be watching!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment! I read each and every one; even if I don't have time to respond back!