Sunday, March 10, 2013

Finished Item - Vogue 8679 Dress, View C

I love it!!

On my fabric excursion, I came across a teal knit fabric at Hancock's for something like $3.95/yd. I bought two yards of it, figuring 2 yards would be good for some pattern that I have in my stash. I was going to make a knit shirt, but of course that wouldn't need nearly 2 full yards, and then I came across Vogue 8679


I decided the dress would be the perfect use for my fabric! I especially felt that way after seeing that the dress had just 4 pattern pieces: Front, Back, Sleeve, Neck binding. SCORE!

The front and back were both cut on the fold - easy peasy. Sleeves - check. Neck binding...bleh. Kind of hard to cut this strip of fabric and to keep it from rolling on itself! Grrr. It was giving me the flux and I ended up sewing it to the neck, then using fusible tape to secure it in place.

It went together REALLY quickly. I start sewing around 6:30 while simultaneously cooking dinner. I was done before 8:30.

I had the perfect brown belt and boots to pair with it and hit my fashion jewelry stash for a necklace and ring to accent. And then we went out for dinner and drinks!


This pic shows the true color of the fabric better (slightly overexposed)


This pic shows off the overall styling. 

My husband and I are both satisfied with this little number! :)


**********
Pattern Description: 
Fitted, lined, above hip jacket A has notched collar, front darts, back princess seams, godet and long sleeves. Close-fitting, pullover top B or mid-knee length straight dress C has front gathered into neck binding, stitched hemline and short sleeves. Flared skirt D, lower calf length, has waistband and side zipper. Semi-fitted, flared leg pants E have contour waist, darts and back zipper.

Pattern Sizing:
14-20, I cut a straigth1 4

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?

Pretty much

Were the instructions easy to follow?

Yep!

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?

No dislikes. I love that it was just a few pieces. Front, back, sleeves, neck binding. It was all very self explanatory to put together. I'm new to sewing and barely looked at the instructions.

Fabric Used:

Double knit from Hancock "Value fabrics" section

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:

Hemmed 2" instead of 1 1/4", took 7/8" side seams instead of 5/8"

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?

I WILL sew it again! I hope to find a burnt orange or red knit. And of course I'd love it in black.

Conclusion: 
I sewed this up in just a couple of hours yesterday to wear out on date night with my husband. He loved it too