I've agreed to blog for Fabric Mart for a little while (6 months I think??). This was a tough decision!! I've been contact by Wawak and Burda to become an affiliate but decided against it. I think this FM set up is a bit different and feels less forced. Probably because 85% of my fabric is from FM! My posts will generally go up the last week of the month.
*My plan for the first post is this Burda jacket.
I really like the lapels and stance on this one. And it's got princess seams, a CB seam and real welts! I will muslin it first! :)
I really like the skirt too, so we will see how that goes! I'm using a wool/poly tweed that was Sue's pick not too long ago and is currently on sale for 50% off; Here
*I'm totally going to finally sew the skirt from the 08/2015 Burda
*And I want(!) this top from Burda 10/2015.
It's so awesome. Probably totally impractical :-) but so cute!
* Do you get annoyed by bloggers who don't respond? I think it's fine when there's a lot of comments that are generally positive encouragement, not necessarily responding "thank you" to every one. But I mean a blogger who gets asked a question of clarification or their opinion on something related to the garment and then they don't reply. So you wait awhile (e.g. they've posted 2-3 more posts) and you go check. Nope. Nothing. But you see they responded to another person on something. Maybe they just don't like me... :-p
* Sunni at A Fashionable Stitch posted today how she got in deeper than she wanted sewing for a coworker. I'm (obviously) not criticizing her choice to say yes!! Just saying, I've gotten really good at saying no. Well, let's face it, I am just good at saying no to things I don't want to do! Let my family tell it, I am mean. What I know is that people will take and take and take if you let them. Often with no ill intent, I'm sure. And the giver feels burnt out--fast. I had this revelation just before my 30th birthday. And now, it's really, really easy to say, Hmm. No, I can't/don't want to/etc. If I'm feeling particularly nice I may actually give a reason!
My (close) younger cousin is getting married next summer. She asked me to make her veil. There are so many reasons to say no (which I did). Let us enumerate!
1) I don't enjoy sewing for others unless I decide to sew something for someone. E.g., asking me will zap my mojo. I had fun sewing the things I made my mom earlier this year and sewing my sister's dresses. But the minute I am asked to make xyz I don't want to do it.
2) IT'S A VEIL! My mom made my veil. But I was one of the most low-maintenance brides ever. I honestly don't even know if it matched perfectly or if the trim matched perfectly because who cares? MY MAMA MADE MY VEIL! :)
3) IT'S A VEIL! No really, this needs to be continued. It's tulle. It should be good tulle. I don't even know where to get good tulle or how much good tulle costs!
4) She wanted a cathedral length veil! Uhmm. 'nuff said.
5) She lives out of state. So fabric choices, length, trim, attachment piece, etc...All that would have to either a) be decided by the non-sewer or b) be decided by the sewer who is not the bride. No.Thank.You.
So, "Aww...no...I can't do that. There's too many possible pitfalls." was my response.
* Aside from the fabric for my Fabric Mart post this month, I haven't purchased fabric since the beginning of August. I've been sewing from stash for 3 whole months now! And a funny thing has happened...I just can't get myself to pull the trigger on any fabric. Oh, I open the Fabric Mart emails...I've added things to my cart a couple of times. But then I manage to just close out. Now I feel confident that I can make it through December! I will end up getting something from FM for my December project, but these cuts aren't going into stash which is the real "problem"!
* Related to fabric budgeting...household budget has been tight. My daughter is really and truly a fantastic kid. Not that my son isn't but he's got 2 whole years to get to senior year! :-p
She works and would gladly fork over money for a lot of the expenses that are being incurred but I won't let her. I did tell her she has to have her own spending money for her band trip next month, so there's that :)
*Unrelated to budget I am tired and exhausted and stressed out and tired. And I need to figure it out because it is now manifesting as physical pain. Yay me. Sigh.
*Related to my awesome girl, she has already received notification of her spot in the 2020 class of the University of Minnesota - Morris! YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And since they heavily recruited her, let's cross our fingers until January/February and hope for an amazing financial aid package! :-p