Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Finished Item: New Look 6230

Quick and Dirty...posted from PR. No photos on me because dinner was chicken parmesan and pasta. Mmmm. I'm carb wasted! :)

I need to get my November garment done! I will be sewing and knitting for others come December. Oooh, I need to muslin New Look 6123 too!

The neckline is a bit wide on me, but it's cute on!



I am seriously loving the whole 'serge the neckband in place' thing.


Shows the print of the knit best



Pattern Description: 

Knit baseball shirt has feminine fit, can be made with banded round or V-neck & 3/4 or long sleeves. 

Pattern Sizing:

4-16, I cut a 14. finished garment bust 38" - my full bust is 39".

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?

Yes

Were the instructions easy to follow?

Never pulled them out. 

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?

dislike: wide neck and center back seam.
like: cute and customizable pattern. Raglan sleeves = easier construction. FAST to sew.

I cut out the pattern which is 3 pieces - 4 with neckband (but I just measure the neckband and cut it out of the fashion fabric vs. cutting the paper pattern piece) and cut the fabric in under 30 minutes. Using my serger, I attached the raglan sleeves and sewed the side seams - maybe 15 minutes. Then I did the neckband and waistband. The SM was only used for hemming the sleeves.


I did think the length was just a bit short and would probably lengthen it slightly if making a version without a waistband.

Fabric Used:

Ponte double knit, both the snake print and black from FabricMart. 
The black was the "Sue's pick" and it is definitely not the thick, high quality ponte de roma that FM has available. It definitely has a higher poly content...

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:

I added a band to the bottom. I wanted a 2" band and then cut my band 2" wide (instead of 4). Oops. It's okay, it works.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?

Yes I would. I bought this pattern for my daughter but she doesn't like it made up. The neckline is "weird".  I'll keep it for myself!

Conclusion: 

I was ignoring the "luxe" sweatshirt trend and then I saw a couple cute ones that pushed me over the edge. Then, when FM had this "snake print" ponte, I bought one yard and was going to make a pencil skirt. I decided to make a sweatshirt instead. I am thinking I'm going to mix the leftover snake print, solid black and solid grey to make a mini skirt though. We'll see :)