Friday, November 29, 2013

Back to the Cave!

I am getting a divorce.

JUST KIDDING! LOL!!!

Last night, my husband assured me there is no evidence of rodents in the sewing cave - BUT - that there was evidence when we first moved and that the old dryer that was being stored in the corner had a dead mouse underneath

I was HORRIFIED! How can you keep this from meeeeeee?!!? So he's moving the old fridge and dryer out and I will still make him set traps over in that (kind of scary) corner. Deepest sigh, ever.

However, I have not even started sewing my jacket for my November garment. Boooo. I just concluded that muslining isn't for me. I have to have the right circumstances...because it just makes my interest drop in the garment. I sew for fun and that is no fun! I'm going to push myself to do it because I really like that jacket and I like the fabric I chose for it. I also scored 3 "new"* pair of jeans today and think it'll be cute to wear to work with jeans.

*"new" as in my 15 year old has put me up on thrift shopping. Today the entire store was 20% off. I got a duplicate (EXACT DUPLICATE) of a pair of pants that I loved and that had died. I planned on taking them apart to use as a pattern and I found them again. Woohoo! Although...the new pair is a size larger than the old pair (sad face). I also got a pair of DKNY jeans that make my butt look good and a pair of Tommy Hilfiger jeans. All 3 for $15.38 (we don't have sales tax on clothing here which also means fabric(!). A reason to love the tundra...)

My sewing goal for December?

To be the unselfish seamstress. I have several gift items I want to make. I can't say specifically on two of them because my friend reads the blog (HA! I see you!!) but gifts for my 2 friends for sure.

This apron for my mom:
M5720, the ruffled version with the top added (to make it a full apron)

These pj bottoms for my dad:

M4244 (which for some reason has a finished inseam of like 30.5")

This jacket for my daughter:


Lekala 4011 in thee brightest green sweatshirt fleece ever.

And this sweatshirt for the boy, if I can find the fabric I have in mind. I'll have to go to SR Harris to have any hope, I believe. If I can't find it, I'll be making him pj pants too :)



And other sewing plans, not for Christmas gifts:

M6614 again for my daughter and a matching sweatshirt for baby K using M6393

That seems like a lot of sewing but...the apron and the pj pants are each a one day project. The other gifts I'd say a weekend. And then for the kids' sweatshirts, I have longer than I have for the things I'm mailing...so I think I'll be okay.

Today I cut them all (rough cuts) and tomorrow will do the bulk -and hopefully all- of the tracing. 

(I want that Lekala sweatshirt for myself too!!!!!!)

I did a little Black Friday shopping...got fabric for some of the above gifts, got 2 yards of navy moleskin for something for myself and scored an 8 yard bolt lightweight fusible Pellon interfacing on JoAnn.com for $2.99 with FREE shipping! I got two. I should be set for awhile. I should've bought more!!! :)

********
Edited to add my ($65) Black Friday haul


3 yards of fleece, 1 1/2 yd of knit, 7 yards of broadcloth, 2 1/2 yards of quilting cotton, 3 bolts of lightweight fusible, 3 patterns, 5 colorful denim zippers, 4 buttons, 4 spools of thread, 2 packs of bias tape, a fat quarter, a lace remnant, and 2 yards of moleskin. Not bad at all.